PDA

View Full Version : Aperture and I-Photo: how to avoid duplicates?

mocoroh
Nov 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hello there,

I've seen plenty of discussions about this topic, but my problem is the following (also consider I'm new to Mac):

After I installed Aperture 3.1, I decided to use it to manage my photos, in spite of iPhoto. When I imported my iPhoto libraries to Aperture, I made sure I selected the option "to store files in their current location".

But when I go to Finder to check the space taken, it shows Aperture with 4GB and IPhoto with the same 4GB. Then, when running the Araxis Find Duplicate Files Trial (just in case), it states out that there are really duplicate files, one at the iPhoto Library, the other at the Aperture library.

Am I missing anything? Are these real duplicates? (on Windows I would definitely consider them duplicates, so I would delete half of them).

Well, sorry for the possibly repeated topic again, but none of the others dealed specifically with this problem, I guess.

Thanks in advance,

MOCOROH

fcortese
Nov 9, 2010, 12:03 PM
I beleive what you dud was to the make your photos in the iPhoto library as referenced photos. The masters, I bleieve, are stored there. In the Aperture library are copies (versions) of the originals and so you would have "duplicates" in that sense. You may want to go to apple (http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual) and reveiw referenced and managed files to confirm, what I think might be going on. I am relatively new to Aperture so maybe someone with more expereince can correct or confrim this.