Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tochill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Hi, I just got a maxed out Macbook Air from MacMall today and it won't hold a charge and the battery says replace battery now. What are my options? This is my first Mac purchase. Will the Apple Store swap it out or make me send it back to Mac Mall? Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Return to MacMall basically as a DOA (dead on arrival because product is dysfunctional upon receipt).

When you buy something new from a reputable store a return policy should be in place and you should exercise your rights under said policy.

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Aww thats a shame. But yea, you can get a full refund/replacement. Thier policy is on the website.

Tochill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Aww thats a shame. But yea, you can get a full refund/replacement. Thier policy is on the website.

Do you know if this is a real slow process? Will they make me pay shipping both ways? I emailed the guy who said he was my account executive.

Edit.
I looked online and it looks like they do not take Apple's products back at all... Wow, does anyone else have experience with this?

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Call Apple, it will work out better for you in the end if you deal with Apple directly.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
No direct experience with this. I'm sure they want you to take advantage of AppleCare. Give them a call. Or make a Genius Bar appointment if you're near an Apple retail store. That would be quicker than dealing with MacMall, anyway, I imagine.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Do you know if this is a real slow process? Will they make me pay shipping both ways? I emailed the guy who said he was my account executive.

Edit.
I looked online and it looks like they do not take Apple's products back at all... Wow, does anyone else have experience with this?

It's surprising that the wouldn't take returns on Apple products? That screams shady to me.

But if you have an Apple Store near you, you can take it there and they can probably fix it within 24 hours. It's probably just a battery swap (which you can't do, but they can do fairly quickly).

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
This is why I only buy from Apple online, you will need to return it to Mac mall, if you bought from Apple they would send you a advanced replacement they ship overnight and than you would return the defective one.

I had this happen on a rev. B macbook air.
Macmall Takes forever on returns and Apple tells you to return it to them.

This is a PITA.
Good Luck.

Tochill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Would be interested to know if Apple store will replace it with a new unit given it was originally purchased through MacMall - or would they go white box?

I have an appointment at their Perimeter store in Atlanta at 6:40 , i'll report back what they say.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
right now this is how it works..

i had a problem with my ATV2 apple ask for the box and everything. they swap out with the new one retail box sealed.

i had problem with my MBA 2days ago and same thing i brought all the package and replaced with new one sealed.

try, bring all box etc and apple might replace it even you bought it at macmall

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010

Edit.

I dont have experience dealing with MacMall, But i cant believe they wont take returns on Apple products... After all they sell Apple products mainly so that means they won't take returns at all. If it doesn't work out at the Apple Store then try making a formal complaint or something. Them selling a faulty product, they are clearly in the wrong. Perhaps it is possible to deal with Apple directly as, they are pretty much the middle man in the sales process i'm guessing, being an authorised reseller and all. Did you call the Apple awranty number they provided in the MacMall Ts&Cs page for returns?

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I dont have experience dealing with MacMall, But i cant believe they wont take returns on Apple products... After all they sell Apple products mainly so that means they won't take returns at all. If it doesn't work out at the Apple Store then try making a formal complaint or something. Them selling a faulty product, they are clearly in the wrong. Perhaps it is possible to deal with Apple directly as, they are pretty much the middle man in the sales process i'm guessing, being an authorised reseller and all. Did you call the Apple awranty number they provided in the MacMall Ts&Cs page for returns?

The crazy thing is that I can't find any type of return policy on their site!

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Technically, I'd say that Apple should probably just offer to diagnose and fix it for you.

(As an aside, for things like the ATV and iPhones/iPods - they're too "consumable" - so Apple just does over the counter replacements vs. repairs).

But if the store's being nice, and/or you bitch enough, I bet they're just give you a new one. :D

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The crazy thing is that I can't find any type of return policy on their site!
http://www.macmall.com/n/General-Terms-And-Disclaimers/macNavLinks-315#returnsPoliciesProcedures

APPLE COMPUTER PRODUCTS:

Apple products are non-returnable: Apple Computer offers a one year warranty on all new equipment. During the warranty period, you may call 1-800-275-2273 to receive warranty service. Apple will attempt to solve your problem via phone. If they are unable to solve the problem, they will either dispatch a replacement via Airborne Express or will direct you to the closest Apple service center. In most cases, contacting the 800 number is the most expedient manner to obtain warranty service on Apple equipment. If a situation extends beyond Apple or an Apple service center's ability to resolve, please contact your MacMall representative for further guidance.

Tali

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
I got email back from them saying that if Apple can't fix them to get back in touch with them... Not sure if that means an RMA or directions on where to ship it to for Apple to fix it... Kind of a bummer since this is my first taste of using a Mac since high school... not a good start :)

Just make sure you have some written proof (signature at best) of you trying to inform them of the DOA MBA.

I don't know about U.S. consumer protection laws, but you got at least 1 year of Apple Care, and your MBA isn't working. So just call them. I had a DOA MBP about a year ago (didn't buy from Apple), got a new one after calling Apple Care.

But be sure to have proof that you informed them within a couple of days of receiving the MBA.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Kind of a bummer since this is my first taste of using a Mac since high school... not a good start :)
Right after a launch, Apple Stores seem to especially bend over backwards to help folks (no matter where you bought it from), so hopefully in ~40 minutes, you'll be back up and running again! :)

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
yeah i'd definitely deal with apple direct. they should send you an overnight advanced replacement no problem.

Tochill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Wow

Well i went to the Apple store and they couldn't have been nicer to me. I told them the issue and they were very apologetic and the look on the guys face when i told him it was my first Mac and the problem i had was awesome. He was completely sympathetic and told me not to even consider sending it in for repair. He said we should swap it out right away. Took 20 minutes to get all the overrides done in the computer but they got me squared away and even let me boot it up in front of them to make sure i wasn't the problem. That was some serious customer service and now i am happily typing away on my new macbook air!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.