PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox app "coming soon"

jreuschl
Nov 9, 2010, 06:53 PM
Finally. It will be separate from the iPhone app. This is from an email announcing they already have released the Windows Phone 7 version.

"SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad is about to launch and you're going to love it. When it becomes available it will be priced at $29.99, the same as all of our SlingPlayer Mobile applications. The new app will take full advantage of the iPad's beautiful display.

The new SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad will only work with the Slingbox PRO-HD and Slingbox SOLO. Legacy Slingboxes, like the Classic, TUNER, AV and PRO, do not have the hardware capability to stream at the iPad's higher resolution. This means that if you own a legacy Slingbox, you will want to upgrade it.

If you have already purchased SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, it will continue to work in "Compatibility Mode" on the iPad. The iPhone version of the app will stream from all Slingboxes, but not at the higher quality resolutions of the iPad app. "

digitalhen
Nov 10, 2010, 03:31 AM
So they're double dipping? Excellent :( :mad:

Fedorov
Nov 11, 2010, 03:18 AM
Should have made the iphone version Universal, they charge enough already - won't be purchasing on my iPad as well.

BeachChair
Nov 11, 2010, 06:08 AM
Sling is such a douche bag company. Not only are they super slow, they also pull stunts like this. When Apple TVs app market opens, I'm sure it will take 2 years for Sling to finally get an app out.

Chupa Chupa
Nov 13, 2010, 10:12 AM
Should have made the iphone version Universal, they charge enough already - won't be purchasing on my iPad as well.

Same here. Also, based on the video quality I get on my MB I have no reason to believe video quality on the iPad will be significantly better than it is x2 on the iPhone.

Honestly, I'm a little weary of all of the companies that push out separate iPad and iPhone apps and the only difference is resolution. If they put out an iPhone and a universal version, OK, I could go for that and would pay a few bucks more for the universal but to be trapped into buying two versions based on the same OS, nope, not gonna do it.

vertigo235
Nov 13, 2010, 06:52 PM
This is disappointing. But im sure I'll shell out the extra money for this :(

ender21
Nov 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
Same here. Also, based on the video quality I get on my MB I have no reason to believe video quality on the iPad will be significantly better than it is x2 on the iPhone.

Honestly, I'm a little weary of all of the companies that push out separate iPad and iPhone apps and the only difference is resolution. If they put out an iPhone and a universal version, OK, I could go for that and would pay a few bucks more for the universal but to be trapped into buying two versions based on the same OS, nope, not gonna do it.

Well I believe the video on the iphone app is something like 320x240, isn't it? In this case increased resolution would definitely be a plus. Heck even if it's just 640x480 it would likely result in an obviously higher quality image on the iPad. The existing Slingplayer app on iPad is virtually unusable.

Having said that - $29.99? WOW that's expensive, but like vertigo235 said, I'll likely shell out for it too.

azcoyote
Nov 16, 2010, 05:49 PM
Sling now has a video demo of SlingPlayer for iPad up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6yuS9LNFc

Video quality looks pretty darn good, and I like the new program guide feature. Sucks though that I'll have to cough up another $29.99 on top of the $30 I already paid for the iPhone version. But I'll bite the bullet as the video quality of the iPhone app looks like crap blown up 2x on the iPad.

sinsin07
Nov 16, 2010, 08:58 PM
Sling now has a video demo of SlingPlayer for iPad up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6yuS9LNFc

Video quality looks pretty darn good, and I like the new program guide feature. Sucks though that I'll have to cough up another $29.99 on top of the $30 I already paid for the iPhone version. But I'll bite the bullet as the video quality of the iPhone app looks like crap blown up 2x on the iPad.

Thanks for the link. I think I will jump on this too.

ender21
Nov 16, 2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the link. I think I will jump on this too.

Looks decent. I wish Aspect was usable via gestures, though.

And a great feature would be the ability to control it from the Remote App or from within the Sling app for iPhone/Touch. That way we could use it as its own SlingCatcher and hook it up to an existing TV using a dock-to-component/vga adapter. THEN I'd gladly pay $30 for it. But as it stands, I'll only reluctantly pay $30 for it. ;)

colmaclean
Nov 17, 2010, 03:40 AM
I've got a Slingbox Solo and video quality on the iPhone app is very poor. I much prefer using tvcatchup.com as their video is of a far higher quality.

Apparently the issue is due to my Slingbox encoding the video in WMV, so the iPhone app has to transcode into a playable format.

I can only imagine how crap the iPad app's video is going to look!

vertigo235
Nov 17, 2010, 08:15 AM
I've got a Slingbox Solo and video quality on the iPhone app is very poor. I much prefer using tvcatchup.com as their video is of a far higher quality.

Apparently the issue is due to my Slingbox encoding the video in WMV, so the iPhone app has to transcode into a playable format.

I can only imagine how crap the iPad app's video is going to look!

The new app will use h.264, iPads native format. Should be much better.