Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
I'm sure this has been mentioned in another thread, but it deserves its own...

What up with this?
http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
Apple said:
Software
iLife ‘05 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand), AppleWorks, Quicken 2005 for Mac, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold and Apple Hardware Test
And AppleWorks still shows up here:
http://www.apple.com/appleworks/
and here:
http://www.apple.com/software/

They're not REALLY sticking Mac Mini users with AppleWorks, are they?

ebook

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
Were you expecting it to come with iWork? I think that they are figuring that iWork is an add-on and AppleWorks is the basic included software.

Besides, at the edu price of $49 iWork really isn't priced that bad for the two apps that it contains. I mean how much was Keynote by itself before? $79? I don't really know?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Apple will still ship AW for sometime with new Mac's because there is a transition period for software. Expect AW to be replaced in 2 years with iWork.

Some special bundle offer will be given when you buy a new Mac and iWork, where iWork can be had for half the price.

iWork has not been established yet remember that, it will take sometime as Keynote did. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Inkmonkey said:
Sweet Spreadsheet Spider Monkeys! I don't believe iWork includes spreadsheet software. Appleworks does.

edit: Dang. Macky-Mac beat me to it.
If Apple had included a spreadsheet you know MS would have been yelling and screaming and threatning to kill Office -- like they did with Explorer.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
during the keynote, steve said, "we're building a successor to appleworks" which basically means that a year from now, iwork 06 will have either a database functionality, or a spreadsheet functionality or both

iwork isn't done yet. i remember a ruckus being made when people found out that apple was integrating photoshop-like functions into the OS, so that *any* developer could add them to an app. sounds like a perfect way for them to build a successor to appleworks' draw/paint functionalities.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Even if it isn't mature, that doesn't mean Apple couldn't make Mac mini users use it to test it out.

Then again, if they're only getting $500 from Mac mini buyers, I suppose they'd like another $80 for the privledge of having something (allegedly) highly compatible with Word. That's cheaper than buying MS Word, which appears to be over $200. And the bundle makes sense too. It'll be a nice cheap option.

Objection withdrawn. :p

--
This is a one-time sig. So there.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
RE: Database.

Since Apple is wrapping a GUI around cron, why shouldn't they do the same with MySQL and bundle that in iWork? There's your database right there.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
panphage said:
RE: Database.

Since Apple is wrapping a GUI around cron, why shouldn't they do the same with MySQL and bundle that in iWork? There's your database right there.

Or how about Filemaker? I find it much more user-friendly than Access.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Toe said:
Even if it isn't mature, that doesn't mean Apple couldn't make Mac mini users use it to test it out.

Then again, if they're only getting $500 from Mac mini buyers, I suppose they'd like another $80 for the privledge of having something (allegedly) highly compatible with Word. That's cheaper than buying MS Word, which appears to be over $200. And the bundle makes sense too. It'll be a nice cheap option.

Objection withdrawn. :p

--
This is a one-time sig. So there.

You can open,edit, and save word documents with appleworks. You can also save applework documents as word ones too. It's not perfect, all they would have to do is give a small update and it would be a very nice (and free) application on the Mac Mini. Right now, it does the job well enough to get by.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
wwooden said:
You can open,edit, and save word documents with appleworks. You can also save applework documents as word ones too. It's not perfect, all they would have to do is give a small update and it would be a very nice (and free) application on the Mac Mini. Right now, it does the job well enough to get by.
But it's not good enough for people who work in an all-Windows environment and want to take work home sometimes. They can read and re-save Word documents, but their co-workers and associates will be pissed at them for losing and/or messing up the formatting on their Word documents. (If that's not a concern, they can use TextEdit, for that matter.)

The underlying promise of Pages is a Word killer. Something that means you don't have to give Microsoft hundreds of dollars just to be able to accurately exchange word processing documents with other people. I mean come on.

I think Apple's just trying to sneak it up on MS... getting better and better Office-replacement capability without MS paying too much attention. Then one day WHAM, Apple announces 100% Office replacement ability, and who cares if MS dumps the Mac. iWork is a heck of a lot cheaper, better, and easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.