Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ja12ke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hi all, just got my MBA today and followed the clean install sticky here. However, I did not get the options to remove some of the software listed in the instructions. I just checked the space and it looks like that the install took around 9GB of space? Is that correct? Bear with me where as this is my first Mac...Thanks.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Hi all, just got my MBA today and followed the clean install sticky here. However, I did not get the options to remove some of the software listed in the instructions. I just checked the space and it looks like that the install took around 9GB of space? Is that correct? Bear with me where as this is my first Mac...Thanks.

the sticky relates to the old MBA not the 2010 ones, some of the stuff it gives you the option to remove doesnt actually get installed any more (printer drivers for printer support, and iLife which you now chose wether to install or not after the OS install is completed).

My run thru was as follows:

Disc utility wipe the hard disk clean

Custom install untick everything you can untick

complete that install

next in terminal set your hibernate mode from 3 to 0
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

which in turn will let you kill off the hibernate file
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
several gig on the 4GB RAM machine

once you're thru with that run Monolingual and kill off any uneeded languages and binaries within apps (keep the intel and intel 64 binaries)

using above I got mine down to a grand total of 55.6 gig free from a 60.3 gig drive = 4.7GB install

Last edited:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

Just before the install starts (when you select the disk), there is a small button in lower left that says customize. That is where you can select the options. Not all of the options match some of the older instructions here. But I think mine can out to be around 8.5GB.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
If you do the re-install and just remove the language you will gain roughly 2GB. It's certainly worth it if you don't need the language support since the re-install is very easy to do.

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
Just a quick noob question. Can you do this install with the recovery USB stick? Does doing an install that way give you the custom option? Thanks.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Just a quick noob question. Can you do this install with the recovery USB stick? Does doing an install that way give you the custom option? Thanks.

I'd also like to know this before getting started with the process. Also, if I use Migration Assistant from a TM backup after the clean install, will it defeat the purpose of the clean install?

In other words, will it bring over the unnecessary languages, etc that I want to get rid of with the clean install? Or will it only bring over the apps and user settings that I currently have?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

Yes, this is what I did. Boot using the USB stick, use Disk Utility to erase the internal SSD, then install with only the options I want. After restarting and restoring my user accounts, you then use the USB stick to reinstall the iLife 11 parts you want.

ingramLee

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
New York, NY
next in terminal set your hibernate mode from 3 to 0
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

which in turn will let you kill off the hibernate file
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
several gig on the 4GB RAM machine

What does doing this actually remove on your computer? and what does it effect? I already removed iLife and all the languages and saved a couple gigs but I have heard of this hibernation file and heard it takes a lot of room. Trying to figure out what it does and if it will negatively effect my comp.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
What does doing this actually remove on your computer? and what does it effect? I already removed iLife and all the languages and saved a couple gigs but I have heard of this hibernation file and heard it takes a lot of room. Trying to figure out what it does and if it will negatively effect my comp.

The new MBA relies on a hibernation scheme for it's power savings in sleep. I have not tested these instructions (which were written for earlier machines) with it but I'd recommended against doing this.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Yes, this is what I did. Boot using the USB stick, use Disk Utility to erase the internal SSD, then install with only the options I want. After restarting and restoring my user accounts, you then use the USB stick to reinstall the iLife 11 parts you want.

Sorry for another noob question, but how did you restore your user accounts? From a time machine backup via migration assistant?

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Sorry for another noob question, but how did you restore your user accounts? From a time machine backup via migration assistant?

You can do it that way. If you are using Time Machine on a local USB drive that should be OK, but using Time Machine from a network drive (like a Time Capsule) can be very slow. Another way that also works is using a cloning program like SuperDuper to clone to a USB drive. Then in the migration assistant you select restore from another volume on this mac. I do this mainly because it's faster to restore.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
You can do it that way. If you are using Time Machine on a local USB drive that should be OK, but using Time Machine from a network drive (like a Time Capsule) can be very slow. Another way that also works is using a cloning program like SuperDuper to clone to a USB drive. Then in the migration assistant you select restore from another volume on this mac. I do this mainly because it's faster to restore.

Awesome..thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.