PDA

View Full Version : Need a new video card on dual 1Ghz G4

Deville
Nov 10, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hey guys, my video card went out on one of my G4 towers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apple_PowerMac_G4_M8493_QuickSilver_front.jpg

The card that was in it was an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX and it ran Leopard 10.5.8 pretty nicely.

I figured I might as well get a better card and see if it runs smoother. Can I put an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX in, or do I even want to? I want a good video card, preferably with an ADC connector as I still use my original monitor.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

666sheep
Nov 10, 2010, 04:34 AM
I want a good video card, preferably with an ADC connector as I still use my original monitor.

Of ADC cards which will work in G4 most powerful is GF Ti4600 128MB. If GF 2MX was enough, you can replace it with GF 4MX (best would be 64MB version from MDD Dual 1.0 GHz - ADC+DVI and BGA RAM) or R9000 Pro 64 or 128 MB.
None of these cards has hardware Core Image support, but if it wasn't a problem with your GF2 MX...

Other options you have:
- get CI capable card and get rid of ADC Display
- get CI capable card with DVI and use (discontinued and expensive) DVI->ADC adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Apple-M8661LL-Display-Adapter-4038234011420/dp/B00011KHT2)
- get CI capable card with DVI and convert your Studio/Cinema Display to DVI (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=188336) if you feel skilled enough

Deville
Nov 10, 2010, 02:08 PM
Other options you have:
- get CI capable card and get rid of ADC Display

I would be willing to do this option and ditch my original mac monitor, what would you suggest is a good card around the $40 - $80 range? If any?

Also, how important is it to have a CI capable card? I suppose if it is not to important I'll pick up a GF Ti4600 as you suggested, found one for $60 on ebay with shipping.

Thanks for your help :)

666sheep
Nov 10, 2010, 06:50 PM
CI is used for advanced graphical effects in OS and some of photo editing software is using it (such as Aperture or iMaginator for instance).
If you have card which hasn't hardware support of CI, all effects are software handled (by CPU).

Ti4600 will be much faster than 2MX so if you were happy with its performance, you'd be fine with 4600 too.

If you want to go for CI, consider this one:
Flashed 6200 256MB (http://cgi.ebay.com/XFX-GeForce-6200-256MB-AGP-PowerMac-G4-/280585730858?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4154367b2a) - it's perfect for Quicksilver.

ThunderSnake
Nov 10, 2010, 07:08 PM
what would you suggest is a good card around the $40 - $80 range? If any?

You should be able to find a Radeon 9800 Pro on eBay for less than $80 (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mac%2C+radeon+9800&_sacat=0&_sop=1&LH_Price=0..80%40c&_dmpt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&_odkw=mac%2C+radeon&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313). This will provide hardware support for Core Image.

Also, how important is it to have a CI capable card?

Like 666sheep said, it depends on what you like to do with your computer. For some things, you won't notice much of a difference. For other things, it can be more significant than a CPU upgrade.

Deville
Nov 10, 2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys, I decided I wont be needing a CI capable card as I only use my mac for music, videos, web and other basic stuff like photo management and email.

I just ordered a GF Ti4600, I think it will work fine for me. I do have another identical tower though and will consider the Radeon 9800 for that if I'm not totally pleased with the Ti4600 card.

Thanks again guys, very helpful. I'll update how it's running in this thread once it's installed as I am having some video problems now running a temporary ATI Rage 128 pro card that I'm hoping will be resolved with the new card.

ThunderSnake
Nov 10, 2010, 08:06 PM
as I am having some video problems now running a temporary ATI Rage 128 pro card that I'm hoping will be resolved with the new card.

Yuck! Yeah, I had to do that for a few days a while back. Painful. A Rage 128 with Leopard is painful. I keep a spare Radeon now so I'll never have to experience that again. Probably the lowest point and most difficult struggle of my entire life--Far worse than getting stood up by my prom date. Hang in there. Just a few days until you get your new card, but they will be very long days.

Deville
Nov 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
Yuck! Yeah, I had to do that for a few days a while back. Painful. A Rage 128 with Leopard is painful. I keep a spare Radeon now so I'll never have to experience that again. Probably the lowest point and most difficult struggle of my entire life--Far worse than getting stood up by my prom date. Hang in there. Just a few days until you get your new card, but they will be very long days.

:D lol

Thanks again for your help!

Deville
Nov 24, 2010, 08:12 PM
Still waiting for my card! I ordered the ti4600 but after doing more and more reading and research while waiting for the card, I decided to buy the radeon 9800 pro. Seems like the best all round card for the price.

The shipping was $28 so it better be here within 5 - 8 days. It will probably get here before the ti4600.

Decided to put the 4600 into my other QS (even though it's not being used) and the 9800 into the one I am using.

I'll update when all installed. Still running the 128 Rage pro : (

I can't wait to rip this piece of junk out, it's driving me crazy.

occams razor
Nov 25, 2010, 12:39 PM
where did you get a card for that great price?

Deville
Nov 25, 2010, 12:59 PM
where did you get a card for that great price?

Do you mean the 9800? The shipping was about $28 but the card was $90
on ebay from user applemacanix. Looks like a reputable seller, very good feedback.

occams razor
Nov 25, 2010, 02:26 PM
that seems like quite a bit for a video card.

Deville
Nov 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
that seems like quite a bit for a video card.

Yea well, until I'm ready to shell out $1500+ on a new imac $120 in this will give me another good year or 2 out of this machine.

occams razor
Nov 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
amen to that brother. if my QS gets me through the next two years of college I will be way happy. I dont ever plan on getting rid of it. would be a nice file server some day:D

Deville
Nov 26, 2010, 03:23 PM
OK, just got the Ti 4600 installed. What a difference, I can actually use iphoto, iweb, and a screen saver again! Now I'm thinking I didn't need the Radeon 9800 but guess it cant hurt. At least I have a decent spare card now.

edit:
After running the card for awhile, I realized the fan is toast. Keeps locking up and making bad noise, I ordered a new one for $8 but it will probably take a month to get here as I ordered it from Hong Kong. Anyone ever change one of these fans? It doesn't look to hard, but I have never done it.

666sheep
Nov 26, 2010, 06:55 PM
Anyone ever change one of these fans? It doesn't look to hard, but I have never done it.

It's easy as... you know what ;)

But there was no need to order it form HK, you should've look at your local market for any cooler that fits Ti4600. It doesn't have to be original, you could even go for passive cooling if you would be able to find one.

occams razor
Nov 26, 2010, 09:17 PM
You should be able to swap the cooler from the stock card to the ti and it will get you by till the new one comes. Swapping should be like any CPU cooler. I would sujest that you use antec silver (think that's the stuff) for thermal compound between the gpu and the new cooler. Make sure you clean the new cooler and the gpu as best you can before applying the new paste!

Deville
Nov 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
You should be able to swap the cooler from the stock card to the ti

Thanks but my stock card was to hurtin to have a fan on it. I guess 16mb ATI rage pros don't produce much heat lol.

I lubed up my fan like this guy said,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573105&highlight=4600+fan

It's quiet now so it will be ok till the replacement fan comes.:D

Deville
Dec 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
Just an update for anyone interested. Got the 9800 running now, and I got to say it's pretty slick.

Youtube videos play with very little, if any lag. I movie 09, Iphoto 09, iweb 09, itunes etc. run perfect and everything else runs flawlessly. Between the video card and the SATA hdd upgrade I'm very pleased.

Thanks again to all who helped me out with my video and hdd upgrade.

VanneDC
Dec 16, 2010, 03:07 AM
yeah the 9800pro is an exellent card all around.. good luck with it :)