Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fudzilla reported earlier today on comments made by AMD senior vice president and chief sales officer Emilio Ghilardi at the company's Financial Analyst Day presentation that are being interpreted as a possible revelation that Apple is set to adopt AMD's Fusion platform that combines CPU and GPU functions on a single die. But based on a viewing of the webcast (free registration required) of the event, we remain unconvinced of that notion, as it seems possible that Ghilardi was simply referencing Apple as a partner due to its usage of AMD's ATI Radeon graphics cards in several of its Mac products.

103512-amd_apple_slide_500.jpg

Slide from AMD's financial analyst presentation
Ghilardi's comments come just after the 5-minute mark in his presentation, and are accompanied by a quick run through a series of slides showing off products from their partners, including a slide depicting Apple's iMac and Mac Pro.
Now let's talk a moment about the things we've done together. In this chart you're going to see some of the great products that our partners have introduced into the market. Remember a year ago, I shared with you "Watch out in this space, there will be a bunch of new products entering the market in 2010, products that you've never seen before from AMD." All of these products have been fairly successful into the marketplace, and it is fair to say that we have never had this level of successful products in the marketplace.
Other companies' products featured on slides displayed during that portion of Ghilardi's comments include Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba.

A report earlier this year claimed that Apple and AMD were in "advanced discussions" to bring the chipmaker's processor to future Macs.

Article Link: AMD Executive's Comments Lead to Speculation of Apple Adopting Fusion Platform

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think it's inevitable that apple will go to AMD. As it stands, apple is forced to use intel chipsets along with the terrible integrated graphics that come with them, with the core iX processors. The MB, MBA, and Mini all need something better than intel graphics. Hence why apple still uses the core2 duo in them.

Here's a theory: Early & exclusive access to Fusion.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Also, why does all the interesting news go to Page 2? This is definitely something that deserves Page 1 release IMO

I think it belongs on page 2. It's a manufactured story. Apple is an ATI customer. Period.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think it's inevitable that apple will go to AMD. As it stands, apple is forced to use intel chipsets along with the terrible integrated graphics that come with them, with the core iX processors. The MB, MBA, and Mini all need something better than intel graphics. Hence why apple still uses the core2 duo in them.

I don't think Apple is really driven by product performance. Apple is all about form factor, design, features and usability. Steve loves his relationship with Intel, especially given that Intel technology initiatives can help reduce physical form factor. Intel loves that Steve is willing to commit to being on the cutting edge in integrating appropriate new technologies across the Apple product line.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Since the parties are not going to divulge details directly, is there any information about the Fusion platform that would give direct comparisons between the next Intel offering and the next AMD offering?

It makes sense these would be targeted at iMac, MacBookPro, MacBook and Mac-Mini product lines.

Someone in some thread on MR must have done this comparison already.

Besides combined CPU/GPU one should look at power consumption and multi-thread performance.

Rocketman

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of agreement with Intel that Apple won't go to their competitors for CPUs. Intel would be as mad as hell if an AMD processor turned up in a Mac.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

knightlie said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of agreement with Intel that Apple won't go to their competitors for CPUs. Intel would be as mad as hell if an AMD processor turned up in a Mac.

Intel only have themselves to blame for not letting nvidia develop chipsets for it's new CPUs or developing decent integrated graphics themselves.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

But an agreement can't last forever, and as of January it'll have been five years since the first Intel machines.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i have a lenovo laptop with a i5 CPU and the intel graphics are just fine for regular Windows 7 stuff. Anandtech did an OS X benchmark and found that OS X is more finicky when it comes to 3D graphics.

intel graphics from 2 years ago can do hardware h.264 decoding with Flash unlike Mac's with 9400M's that were sold this year.

Meldar

macrumors regular
I'd love to see Apple release some AMD-based machines, particularly the Mac Pro. Given they ship with ATi GPUs (which are made by AMD) it would seem that Fusion integration is right around the corner.

That said, a large number of people feel that Intel is on top of the processor market and always will be. Personally, I see no difference in performance or capabilities even when doing a lot of intensive work such as photo editing or gaming, so the brand name isn't really an object.

I used the GMA 965 (or was it 950?) in my late 2006 MacBook for years - up til a few months ago - for everything from lots of photo editing to HD video encoding/transcoding to games, and never noticed any issues except the occasional framerate down-spike in games when rendering lots of entities...the NViDIA GT 330M chip in my new MBP works fine for all of that but at the same time, I've heard things about AMD-ATi combinations achieving much better benchmark results than Intel chips alongisde NViDIA.

Although knowing how Apple operates, it seems doubtful we'd ever see two different lines of computers at the same time...

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I agree that this was a misinterpreted story. All of the Apple products shown in the presentation were machines that use ATI (now AMD) graphics solutions. There were no MacBooks or Mac Minis shown. End of line.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Intel only have themselves to blame for not letting nvidia develop chipsets for it's new CPUs or developing decent integrated graphics themselves.

Apple is just one vendor among others. Actually, Apple has relatively small market share so their opinion isn't very important. Besides, Intel knows they have the best CPUs so it's pretty hard for Apple to totally abandon Intel.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en

Oh man, try to get some information, before you post BS on MR!

Try this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/7

Sandy Bridge has 256-Bit AVX instructions and even better AES encrypt/decrypt instructions. Both extension sets are important for Apple. Applications can be found in image processing, File Vault and so on. It makes no sense for Apple to switch to AMD processors.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
intel graphics from 2 years ago can do hardware h.264 decoding with Flash unlike Mac's with 9400M's that were sold this year.

Well, QuickTime 7 and QuickTime X under Mac OS X support the hardware decoding of H.264 content on 9400M IGPs. Btw, the QuickTime browser plugin supports the same hardware acceleration.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
i have a lenovo laptop with a i5 CPU and the intel graphics are just fine for regular Windows 7 stuff. Anandtech did an OS X benchmark and found that OS X is more finicky when it comes to 3D graphics.

What? Every Mac with a 9400M has hardware acceleration in Flash. And out of all of the Macs that have come with Intel graphics the only ones even capable of hardware acceleration are the 2010 15 and 17-inch MBP's which have a 330M for hardware acceleration.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/#video

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
What? Every Mac with a 9400M has hardware acceleration in Flash. And out of all of the Macs that have come with Intel graphics the only ones even capable of hardware acceleration are the 2010 15 and 17-inch MBP's which have a 330M for hardware acceleration.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/#video

i thought i read here something over the summer that the 9400M was at first supported but the final version didn't support it due to Apple's drivers or something

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003

It is sad that people here think using AMD initiatives like Fusion mean it is all or nothing. That is garbage, Apple could easily select manufactures based on the best chip available for the machine. For things like the Mac Book AIRs the Bobcat based Fusion processors could be an excellent fit. Even more important is that such hardware would allow Apple to actually lower prices.

People forget that having a power house processor isn't often everybodys goal, adding four hours of run time to an AIR or Mac Book may be the feature people want. It looks like Sandy Bridge will actually be a nice performance update from Intel, but it is a mistake to believe that it will go into low end machines day one. It is simply a cost issue.

In any event it is pretty obvious that Intel has been caught off guard by AMDs Fusion initiative. This will drive down the prices on some of Intels mobile products. Intel is already repositioning hardware to compensate for the lack of a good answer to the Bobcat line up. Intel might be a little more secure with respect to competition from the mainstream Fusion product but Apple still has cost sensitive products where the hardware would make sense with AMD hardware.

In any event this thinking in absolutes is a joke. Just as Apple looked for alternatives for the iOS devices so to can they look for alternatives for the Macs.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Other companies don't seem to have a problem selling both AMD- and Intel-based systems. Entering into an exclusivity agreement with Intel or anybody else is pretty stupid, especially when things break down over disagreements or technical setbacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.