PDA

View Full Version : Airplay

87vert
Nov 10, 2010, 10:19 AM
Has anyone gotten airplay to work correctly? I can only get audio

I have an iPad running 4.2GM and running iTunes beta 10.1 on my iMac (10.6.4)

Do I need 10.6.5? when I hit the button for airplay it shows my apple tv 2g but only shows it as a speaker.

Anything I am missing?

drewc1138
Nov 10, 2010, 10:24 AM
Gotta wait for them to update AppleTV to 4.2 as well. :)

87vert
Nov 10, 2010, 10:30 AM
Gotta wait for them to update AppleTV to 4.2 as well. :)

ah figured they would have already had the feature in there. I'm guess no betas were released for that? I have not heard of any talk about them, its probably going to kill the jailbreak right? So it wouldn't be worth jailbreaking yet.

newagemac
Nov 10, 2010, 10:56 AM
ah figured they would have already had the feature in there. I'm guess no betas were released for that? I have not heard of any talk about them, its probably going to kill the jailbreak right? So it wouldn't be worth jailbreaking yet.

Yeah, jailbreaking isn't worth not having Airplay. Even with Plex now available through jailbreaking. With Airplay, you could just use Plex through your mobile iOS device and Airplay it to your TV. And it won't be a limited and buggy version of Plex like the jailbroken version.

Plus you would have content from native and 3rd party iOS apps playable on your TV as well as all the video on the web that's playable on your iOS device on your TV. Now with Skyfire, that would possibly even include Flash video. Not to mention 4.2 probably would include bug fixes and UI improvements.

There's no way I would give all that up for a jailbreak.

optophobia
Nov 10, 2010, 11:37 AM
save your SHSHs to tinyumbrella, that way you can always revert back to the older iOS.

JoshBoy
Nov 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
does anyone know if all features will work with the original apple TV (streaming of video from IOS device to the appletv)
)

OmegaRed1723
Nov 10, 2010, 08:48 PM
does anyone know if all features will work with the original apple TV (streaming of video from IOS device to the appletv)
)

No, the first-gen :apple:TV won't be receiving any new updates.

malikk
Nov 11, 2010, 09:54 PM
Can someone explain to me where airplay is at currently? I have tried some google searches, but i guess I just failed in the google department.

I hear it is not on aTV yet. But it does work on the ipad or iphone? I am a little confused about airplay at the moment but am interested it in the aTV and airplay depending on what it lets me accomplish.

Peter Harrison
Nov 12, 2010, 03:32 AM
Can someone explain to me where airplay is at currently? I have tried some google searches, but i guess I just failed in the google department.

I hear it is not on aTV yet. But it does work on the ipad or iphone? I am a little confused about airplay at the moment but am interested it in the aTV and airplay depending on what it lets me accomplish.

Right now, you can stream video and audio from your computer to your Apple TV. So you can watch a film on your nice big TV, even if it is on iTunes, without plugging your computer into your TV.

Soon, you will be able to play video and audio from your iPhone or other iOS devices and have them appear on the TV by streaming to the Apple TV. This is a feature of the new OS 4.2 which isn't released yet.

Kurgan
Nov 12, 2010, 06:01 AM
Right now, you can stream video and audio from your computer to your Apple TV. So you can watch a film on your nice big TV, even if it is on iTunes, without plugging your computer into your TV.

Soon, you will be able to play video and audio from your iPhone or other iOS devices and have them appear on the TV by streaming to the Apple TV. This is a feature of the new OS 4.2 which isn't released yet.

Reading this I don't understand why a AppleTV update is necessary. I have heard that a new version of the iOS for AppleTV is needed.

Creative One
Nov 12, 2010, 06:49 AM

FYI, you have been able to stream movies, music, and photos to your Apple TV from day one.

From A Buick 8
Nov 12, 2010, 06:53 AM

Just a slight correction (underlined above), right now it must be in iTunes for it to stream from your computer to ATV

KeithJenner
Nov 12, 2010, 07:21 AM
Reading this I don't understand why a AppleTV update is necessary. I have heard that a new version of the iOS for AppleTV is needed.

We don't know for sure what is required, but plenty of people are running the final version of iOS4.2 and Airplay is only working with Audio.

The logical conclusion is that it is the Apple TV that is missing something so we will probably get an update for that at any time which will make video Airplay work.

Javit
Nov 12, 2010, 10:19 AM
So am I understanding correclty that AirPlay, when fully functional, will be able to stream any video file I have on my computer regardless of type and location? I have tons of .avi's that I'd love to play without converting.

rotax
Nov 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
To make AirPlay really useful and not rely on Airtunes or AirPlay devices.. many of us have machines with iTunes running hooked to speakers and AV systems... we should be able to stream to any running copy of iTunes with permissions or passwords as required. This would make the need for Airfoil go away. Not that I dont love Airfoil.... I do

irishv
Nov 12, 2010, 01:12 PM
To make AirPlay really useful and not rely on Airtunes or AirPlay devices.. many of us have machines with iTunes running hooked to speakers and AV systems... we should be able to stream to any running copy of iTunes with permissions or passwords as required. This would make the need for Airfoil go away. Not that I dont love Airfoil.... I do

I completely agree with you. I have a mini serving as an HTPC with Plex and EyeTV. Adding AirPlay capabilities would be very welcome.

jclardy
Nov 12, 2010, 01:50 PM
I just downloaded iTunes 10.1, I can use it for audio but it won't let me send video. The icon shows up when I play a video file but it only lists my computer.

I guess Apple TV needs to be updated to a new version that enables video airplay.

fpnc
Nov 12, 2010, 02:47 PM
...With Airplay, you could just use Plex through your mobile iOS device and Airplay it to your TV. And it won't be a limited and buggy version of Plex like the jailbroken version.

Plus you would have content from native and 3rd party iOS apps playable on your TV as well as all the video on the web that's playable on your iOS device on your TV. Now with Skyfire, that would possibly even include Flash video...
There seems to be a lot of confusion about AirPlay, but it won't allow you to view just any video that is playable or accessible on the sending device. The only video that will be able to be streamed to the new Apple TV using AirPlay will be content that is ALREADY compatible with the Apple TV. That means H.264 and perhaps MPEG-4 (that is, whatever the current specs are for video playback on the Apple TV). Thus, unless Plex transcodes the video into H.264 (or some other Apple TV compatible format) you won't be able to use Plex to stream content over AirPlay. Of course, if the content was already in an H.264 format then there is no reason why Plex couldn't stream that to the Apple TV, but there'd be no point in doing that since then you wouldn't even need Plex. I suspect that the VLC app will be in the same situation, you won't be able to use VLC to stream .avi or .wmv or MKVs to the Apple TV.

The same is true for games, AirPlay won't suddenly makes games work on the Apple TV.

If you need to stream video that isn't natively compatible with your iOS device you'll need an app like AirVideo or StreamToMe. But, of course, since third-party apps aren't yet available for the Apple TV that won't work just yet (directly from Mac/PC to the Apple TV). I guess it might be possible to run AirVideo or StreamToMe on your iPad/iPhone and then have that video stream to your Apple TV, but a double wireless hop like that (from Mac/PC to iPad/iPhone to Apple TV) might cause some problems.

As for Skyfire, that might actually work since the Skyfire servers will be transcoding the Flash video into HTML5/H.264.

fpnc
Nov 12, 2010, 02:48 PM
So am I understanding correclty that AirPlay, when fully functional, will be able to stream any video file I have on my computer regardless of type and location? I have tons of .avi's that I'd love to play without converting.
No, that won't work. Read my previous post.

newtoiphonesdk
Nov 12, 2010, 02:56 PM
But video streaming from iPad if you have 4.2gm won't work until apple tv is updated, right?

newagemac
Nov 12, 2010, 03:09 PM
...There seems to be a lot of confusion about AirPlay, but it won't allow you to view just any video that is playable or accessible on the sending device. The only video that will be able to be streamed to the new Apple TV using AirPlay will be content that is ALREADY compatible with the Apple TV..

If you are using your iOS device to Airplay to the Apple TV, then the video is already compatible with the Apple TV. Not sure what you are saying here. There is no video that can be played on an iPhone 4 or iPad that cannot be played on the Apple TV. And if an app like Plex or Air Video converts video on the fly to be able to be played on your iPhone, what exactly makes you think that same converted (and now compatible) video won't be able to be played through the Apple TV with Airplay? You are missing the fact that if you are sending content through Airplay it is inherently compatible with the Apple TV. If the content is not compatible, you would never even be able to play it on your iOS device and never get the Airplay controls.

Ok I just went back and reread your post and maybe you weren't aware that Plex converts video on the fly to a compatible format just like Air Video.

I guess it might be possible to run AirVideo or StreamToMe on your iPad/iPhone and then have that video stream to your Apple TV, but a double wireless hop like that (from Mac/PC to iPad/iPhone to Apple TV) might cause some problems.

As for Skyfire, that might actually work since the Skyfire servers will be transcoding the Flash video into HTML5/H.264.

I don't see how this would be a problem. As far as your iPhone or iPad is concerned, all it sees is a compatible video stream coming from the Air Video or Plex Server on your Mac. That's not much different than a stream coming from iTunes, over the web with Safari, or any other source that's supposed to work with Airplay. There really is no "double hop" at least not in comparison to any other method. The source has to come from somewhere, arrive at your iOS device, and Airplay to your Apple TV. And it certainly should be able to do that over your own local network if it's supposed to do that with video coming from the web with Safari.

Erurainon
Nov 12, 2010, 04:06 PM
I just downloaded iTunes 10.1, I can use it for audio but it won't let me send video. The icon shows up when I play a video file but it only lists my computer.

I guess Apple TV needs to be updated to a new version that enables video airplay.

I am having the same issue, has anyone seen anything different with 10.1?

fpnc
Nov 12, 2010, 04:30 PM
If you are using your iOS device to Airplay to the Apple TV, then the video is already compatible with the Apple TV. Not sure what you are saying here. There is no video that can be played on an iPhone 4 or iPad that cannot be played on the Apple TV. And if an app like Plex or Air Video converts video on the fly to be able to be played on your iPhone, what exactly makes you think that same converted (and now compatible) video won't be able to be played through the Apple TV with Airplay? You are missing the fact that if you are sending content through Airplay it is inherently compatible with the Apple TV. If the content is not compatible, you would never even be able to play it on your iOS device and never get the Airplay controls...
What you say is mostly true. However, just arguing that it will work because AirPlay is enabled doesn't prove that just any app WILL work (what I mean is that if the app or video stream is not compatible with AirPlay -- for whatever reason -- then it won't play). Also, it isn't true that there, "is no video that can be played on an iPhone 4 or iPad that cannot be played on the Apple TV." The VLC app for iOS handles video formats that are not normally native to the iOS.

Ok I just went back and reread your post and maybe you weren't aware that Plex converts video on the fly to a compatible format just like Air Video.
True, I wasn't certain whether Plex on the Mac offered transcoding. However, I specifically allowed for that possibility in my original post where I said, "unless Plex transcodes the video into H.264 (or some other Apple TV compatible format) you won't be able to use Plex to stream content over AirPlay." Thus, since the Plex application/server on the Mac does transcode to H.264 there is a possibility that it will work with AirPlay.

I don't see how this would be a problem [a "double hop"]. As far as your iPhone or iPad is concerned, all it sees is a compatible video stream coming from the Air Video or Plex Server on your Mac. That's not much different than a stream...over the web with Safari...
You may be correct. However, until someone is able to use Plex or StreamToMe or some other video transcoding server that runs on the Mac we won't know for sure. For example, I believe that AirPlay will only work in apps that are using the iOS-standard video player UI. Of course, with iOS's object frameworks it would be possible to change the appearance and behavior of the standard player without affecting AirPlay compatibility but it's also possible that certain code overrides would break or disable AirPlay.

Lastly, I'm of the opinion that certain apps will either block or be incompatible with AirPlay. Plex, AirVideo, and StreamToMe would have no reason to block content but I'm pretty confident that so-called premium content players like the ABC app and Hulu Plus will block AirPlay streaming to the Apple TV.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to getting AirPlay on the Apple TV. In some respects, this could make or break the Apple TV, at least until (or if) native apps come to the product.

fpnc
Nov 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
...Ok I just went back and reread your post and maybe you weren't aware that Plex converts video on the fly to a compatible format just like Air Video...
Can you give your opinion on the transcoding performance of Plex (i.e. quality and stability). I've found that the video transcoding in AirVideo and StreamToMe is pretty unreliable. I haven't tried in the last few months with either app but I wasn't that impressed with the usability of AirVideo. I was streaming from a Mac Pro (2x2 at 2.66GHz) so I don't think it was a problem with the resources on my Mac.

stuartmeyers
Nov 13, 2010, 03:07 AM
I have been trying to find this answer before buying an ATV2.

If I am watching a movie from iTunes to the ATV2 and my wife wants to watch normal tv, can I switch airplay to continue playing the movie on my iPad?

I like the idea of leaving the movies on the pc and not have to synch and play them from the iPad.

bpmarkowitz
Nov 13, 2010, 06:53 AM
I have been trying to find this answer before buying an ATV2.

If I am watching a movie from iTunes to the ATV2 and my wife wants to watch normal tv, can I switch airplay to continue playing the movie on my iPad?

I like the idea of leaving the movies on the pc and not have to synch and play them from the iPad.

What you are talking about can be achieved with a very cheap iPad app called Air Video. You don't even need an AppleTV. It streams almost any video format (does live transcoding) wirelessly to your iPad from your computer. I use it all the time. Probably one of my top 2 or 3 iPad apps.

The new version can even play iTunes protected content if your device is authorized for that account by playing it through the browser.

Best part is that it is a universal app which works on iPad or iPhone...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8

newagemac
Nov 13, 2010, 08:21 AM
Can you give your opinion on the transcoding performance of Plex (i.e. quality and stability). I've found that the video transcoding in AirVideo and StreamToMe is pretty unreliable. I haven't tried in the last few months with either app but I wasn't that impressed with the usability of AirVideo. I was streaming from a Mac Pro (2x2 at 2.66GHz) so I don't think it was a problem with the resources on my Mac.

In my honest opinion, Air Video streams more reliably than Plex. However, I have not used Plex much recently. The first version was quite buggy but they have pushed out two substantial bug updates recently and I haven't really played with it much since then. It works fine, just not as reliably as Air Video yet but of course Air Video has had a huge head start. When was the last time you used Air Video? They've been making regular updates to their iOS app and the server on your Mac. I recommended getting the latest updates and trying it out again because it's been pretty reliable for me. They do need to improve on the user interface though.

gcmexico
Nov 13, 2010, 08:36 AM
What you are talking about can be achieved with a very cheap iPad app called Air Video. You don't even need an AppleTV. It streams almost any video format (does live transcoding) wirelessly to your iPad from your computer. I use it all the time. Probably one of my top 2 or 3 iPad apps.

The new version can even play iTunes protected content if your device is authorized for that account by playing it through the browser.

Best part is that it is a universal app which works on iPad or iPhone...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8
to my understanding Airvideo doesn't play itunes drm protected files, I just went to there site to make sure, and it states that it doesn't support them...please post instructions on how you get your airvideo to play these files, that is a killer feature if possible

fpnc
Nov 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
to my understanding Airvideo doesn't play itunes drm protected files, I just went to there site to make sure, and it states that it doesn't support them...please post instructions on how you get your airvideo to play these files, that is a killer feature if possible
StreamToMe (another video transcoding app for iOS) supports playback of protected iTunes content by launching the Safari browser and playing the content in the browser itself. Not very elegant and it doesn't seem to work with all content but I suspect that Air Video uses a similar technique.

By the way, although everyone seems to mention Air Video when transcoding apps come up for discussion I actually have had somewhat better luck with StreamToMe. In fact, if history and my memory serves as a guide StreamToMe is usually ahead of Air Video in the features department, although these two apps are now mature enough that their capabilities are pretty much the same (YMMV). In any case, I noticed that StreamToMe was just updated and apparently has a new interface just for iOS 4.1 and later (don't know what they have added/changed, it will be interesting to see once the 4.2 update becomes available for my iPad).

phpmaven
Nov 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusion about AirPlay, but it won't allow you to view just any video that is playable or accessible on the sending device. The only video that will be able to be streamed to the new Apple TV using AirPlay will be content that is ALREADY compatible with the Apple TV. That means H.264 and perhaps MPEG-4 (that is, whatever the current specs are for video playback on the Apple TV). Thus, unless Plex transcodes the video into H.264 (or some other Apple TV compatible format) you won't be able to use Plex to stream content over AirPlay. Of course, if the content was already in an H.264 format then there is no reason why Plex couldn't stream that to the Apple TV, but there'd be no point in doing that since then you wouldn't even need Plex. I suspect that the VLC app will be in the same situation, you won't be able to use VLC to stream .avi or .wmv or MKVs to the Apple TV.

The same is true for games, AirPlay won't suddenly makes games work on the Apple TV.

If you need to stream video that isn't natively compatible with your iOS device you'll need an app like AirVideo or StreamToMe. But, of course, since third-party apps aren't yet available for the Apple TV that won't work just yet (directly from Mac/PC to the Apple TV). I guess it might be possible to run AirVideo or StreamToMe on your iPad/iPhone and then have that video stream to your Apple TV, but a double wireless hop like that (from Mac/PC to iPad/iPhone to Apple TV) might cause some problems.

With respect, at this point nobody knows what will or will not play or how Airplay is going to work with video. Apple may very well incorporate some kind of on-the-fly transcoding so that any video will be able to play. Or they may only allow certain apps to output video, or you may actually be right. Until it actually gets released, this all pure conjecture.

stuartmeyers
Nov 13, 2010, 05:42 PM
What you are talking about can be achieved with a very cheap iPad app called Air Video.......

Thanks for the reply but I am specifically looking at Apple functionality. I have tried Zumocast but I want to use iTunes/Airplay because it also integrates contents from both our notebooks using home sharing.

Also, is there an ATV2 update and when is it released?

fpnc
Nov 13, 2010, 07:48 PM
With respect, at this point nobody knows what will or will not play or how Airplay is going to work with video. Apple may very well incorporate some kind of on-the-fly transcoding so that any video will be able to play. Or they may only allow certain apps to output video, or you may actually be right. Until it actually gets released, this all pure conjecture.
Yes, no one really knows. However, it seems that the majority opinion being expressed here on MacRumors is that EVERY video app will work with AirPlay which I think is being overly optimistic. That's the main reason I made my post. In any case, I think it is highly unlikely that Apple will offer some type of on-the-fly transcoding.

bpmarkowitz
Nov 14, 2010, 06:32 AM
StreamToMe (another video transcoding app for iOS) supports playback of protected iTunes content by launching the Safari browser and playing the content in the browser itself. Not very elegant and it doesn't seem to work with all content but I suspect that Air Video uses a similar technique.

By the way, although everyone seems to mention Air Video when transcoding apps come up for discussion I actually have had somewhat better luck with StreamToMe. In fact, if history and my memory serves as a guide StreamToMe is usually ahead of Air Video in the features department, although these two apps are now mature enough that their capabilities are pretty much the same (YMMV). In any case, I noticed that StreamToMe was just updated and apparently has a new interface just for iOS 4.1 and later (don't know what they have added/changed, it will be interesting to see once the 4.2 update becomes available for my iPad).

Yes air video uses the browser method as well. I don't find it to be a bad solution for what it provides. Once the video gets playing full screen I don't care what is actually playing it. Also, I have tested it on all my itunes purchased video content and have not found something it won't play.

Personally I prefer and have had better luck with air video, but that is the beauty of the app store and having all these options.

br60
Nov 14, 2010, 10:58 AM
Have been playing with Ios 4.2
I had no problem streaming to a stereo connected to an Airport xpress.
Also no problem streaming to Apple tv2.
My main computer (mac Mini) controls sound to the majority of my house via a directly connected stereo.
I would like to be able to stream from my iPad to my main computer which is connected to my Airport Extreme via ethernet. All of my devices are on the same network and iTunes sits on my main computer.
Strangely, it seems that there is no functionality built into to home sharing/airplay which will allow this.
Am I missing something? Does anyone know how I can get my Mac Mini to receive streamed media as well as send it?

newtoiphonesdk
Nov 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
My main computer (mac Mini) controls sound to the majority of my house via a directly connected stereo.
I would like to be able to stream from my iPad to my main computer which is connected to my Airport Extreme via ethernet. All of my devices are on the same network and iTunes sits on my main computer.
Strangely, it seems that there is no functionality built into to home sharing/airplay which will allow this.
Am I missing something? Does anyone know how I can get my Mac Mini to receive streamed media as well as send it?

You had no problem streaming to apple tv2? How did you stream video using airplay ?

br60
Nov 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
You had no problem streaming to apple tv2? How did you stream video using airplay ?

Unfortunately just sound. From what I have read video streaming will not be available until Apple updates ATV2

newagemac
Nov 14, 2010, 01:09 PM

I don't think Airplay is designed to work that way. However, why don't you just use Apple's free Remote App on your iPad to control your music on your Mac? That's how that scenario is intended to work. You can still use that app to control Airplay and control which speakers play the music. You can make it play through multiple speakers at the same time and independently adjust the volumes.

newagemac
Nov 14, 2010, 01:14 PM
I have both Air Video and Stream2Me. In my opinion, Stream2Me is just too cluttered on the iPhone. Too many visible options. Maybe it's better on the iPad.

fpnc
Nov 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
...Strangely, it seems that there is no functionality built into to home sharing/airplay which will allow this.
As far as I know, there is no way to wirelessly stream from an iOS device to a Mac/PC. Home Sharing works from the Mac/PC to an Apple TV or another Mac/PC and AirPlay works from any supported iOS device to the Apple TV. Here's a question, can AirPlay go from one iOS device to any other iOS device (or is it just to the Apple TV)? If it works between any two iOS devices then someone with the 4.2 GM should be able to test video streaming between one iPhone/iPad touch and another. Frankly, I don't think the latter will work, since that would kind of infer that you could use AirPlay to stream from one iOS device to another and yet to another and to another, etc. (an endless string of devices, unless they put in a hard limit of one "hop"). That could be one of the reasons it is limited to the Apple TV, since the Apple TV will be the terminating device and there would be no way to initiate another stream from the Apple TV to yet another device.

br60
Nov 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think Airplay is designed to work that way. However, why don't you just use Apple's free Remote App on your iPad to control your music on your Mac? That's how that scenario is intended to work. You can still use that app to control Airplay and control which speakers play the music. You can make it play through multiple speakers at the same time and independently adjust the volumes.

Yes unfortunately you may be right. But to me this defeats the purpose of Airplay.
The remote app pretty much restricts the content that can be played to iTunes. Which is what we had before IOS 4.2. IOS 4.2 is meant to facilitate streaming content everywhere in the home. To make this work I would have to buy another APT or Airport xpress which seems kinda dumb when my computer already communicates with my Ipad.
Let's say I want to listen to a YouTube video from my stereo and watch it on my iPad. I would only be able to do this on my ATV or Airport Xpress but not my computer which controls much of the sound in my house.

newagemac
Nov 14, 2010, 01:56 PM
Here's the situation from what I understand...

Airplay hosts: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, iTunes on Mac or PC

Airplay video client: Apple TV 2G

Airplay audio clients: Apple TV 1G, Apple TV 2G, Airport Express, upcoming speakers/receivers from various licensed 3rd parties

newagemac
Nov 14, 2010, 02:19 PM
Yes unfortunately you may be right. But to me this defeats the purpose of Airplay.
The remote app pretty much restricts the content that can be played to iTunes. Which is what we had before IOS 4.2. IOS 4.2 is meant to facilitate streaming content everywhere in the home. To make this work I would have to buy another APT or Airport xpress which seems kinda dumb when my computer already communicates with my Ipad.
Let's say I want to listen to a YouTube video from my stereo and watch it on my iPad. I would only be able to do this on my ATV or Airport Xpress but not my computer which controls much of the sound in my house.

Airtunes and now Airplay have always been meant to be used with an Airport Express and/or Apple TV. There has never been an Airplay/Airtunes use scenario that didn't involve one of those two items. So yeah, you're going to have to get one of those if you want to use it in the way you described.

Rkelac
Nov 14, 2010, 05:42 PM

Airplay audio clients: Apple TV 1G, Apple TV 2G, Airport Express, upcoming speakers/receivers from various licensed 3rd parties

Add to the audio clients Bluetooth speakers/receivers.

jimmy1984
Nov 16, 2010, 11:46 AM
I am not sure if I am missing something...but after reading I still have a couple questions about plex and airplay.

First, conceivably will you ever be able to run PLEX from your main computer, and AirPlay that content to your ATV2?

Secondly, is there a way to download content that you are streaming (from something like HULU, ESPN3, ABC, NBC) to a file compatible with iTunes, or would you have to download that data, then convert that data to something compatible with iTunes?

Evgenyy
Nov 16, 2010, 01:25 PM
I am not sure if I am missing something...but after reading I still have a couple questions about plex and airplay.

First, conceivably will you ever be able to run PLEX from your main computer, and AirPlay that content to your ATV2?

Secondly, is there a way to download content that you are streaming (from something like HULU, ESPN3, ABC, NBC) to a file compatible with iTunes, or would you have to download that data, then convert that data to something compatible with iTunes?

Plex on your Mac converts any video file to a compatible format so in theory Airplay should work with Plex client on iPhone and iPad.

I don't think you can download files from those sources but some networks have their iPhone/iPad apps so those might also work with Airplay. If not, Plex app can stream content from plugins (Hulu is one of them) to iPhone and iPad by converting them on the fly but it doesn't work for everyone.

Finally, there is a Plex plugin for jailbroken ATV2 but it is still in very early stages of development.

jimmy1984
Nov 16, 2010, 06:32 PM
will it work with ATV2? if not now, in the future?

timeshifter
Nov 19, 2010, 04:20 PM

I just installed 4.2.1 on my iPad. My Airport Express works as expected. But, I have two Apple TV 1Gs, and they don't show up in the Airplay list as audio clients in the iPod app. Seems odd. They clearly have the capability, and are functioning Airtunes clients, since they show up in iTunes on my Mac.

saving107
Nov 19, 2010, 04:53 PM
Seems odd. They clearly have the capability, and are functioning Airtunes clients, since they show up in iTunes on my Mac.

if Apple enabled AirPlay for the first generation Apple TV, then you would have no reason to upgrade would you?

Apple wants you to upgrade.

timeshifter
Nov 19, 2010, 06:47 PM
if Apple enabled AirPlay for the first generation Apple TV, then you would have no reason to upgrade would you?

Apple wants you to upgrade.

They are known to be that way. ;)

If it's possible, I hope somebody will come up with a hack to enable Airplay on a 1G.

newagemac
Nov 19, 2010, 10:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I remember when people first claimed that Apple dropped support for the old Apple TV with iPhoto 11 "to force you to upgrade" and then it was discovered later that they just needed to disable and the reenable home sharing for it to work.

From what I understand, audio airplay should work on the old ATV. Does it not give you the option even when using the remote app?