Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I have a couple of small movies for my grandson that I downloaded to my computer. I am wondering how I can convert them in order to play for him on my iPad. The format they are currently in is DVD media player document. Is there any way to do this for free or do I need to purchase a program for this?

Thanks

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Handbrake, now what?

Okay, I downloaded Handbrake and then ran the dvd through it . Unfortunately I don't know what I am doing, I suppose, since the movie will not sync to the iPad. I still need help, please?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Okay, I downloaded Handbrake and then ran the dvd through it . Unfortunately I don't know what I am doing, I suppose, since the movie will not sync to the iPad. I still need help, please?

Have you used the iPad or Apple TV preset in the Preset sidebar?
Have you installed VLC Player?
Have you used iTunes to try to get the finished .mp4 file onto the iPad?

Can you describe in more detail what you did and what did not work and what error or other messages you did encounter?

And can you play the finished .mp4 file in iTunes or QuickTime Player?

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I ran the DVD through handbrake. I ended up with a m4v file. I imported it to iTunes. It will not sync to my iPad. I did use the Advanced feature to change it ti iPad format. I actually think that I am having trouble getting anything to sync from my Mac to my iPad. I have not been able to find out what the problem is.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You need to ensure you can sync before you ask about ripping a home movie onto your iPad. Fix it, then follow the instructions of spinnerlys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.