Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
the thread title is probably not that clear, but when ever i connect my 3G 40GB iPod to my powerbook (running 10.3.7), iTunes starts up, my iPod mounts on my desktop, but when iTunes starts to transfer songs, the not-so-famous "gray screen of death" pops up, informing me to restart my computer.

I trashed my iTunes preferences-- yet to no avail. I updated iTunes to 4.7.1-- yet to no avail. I tried bypassing the dock (just plugging the cable into the iPod)-- yet to no avail. This has happened to me 4 times so far and I really want The Life Aquatic soundtrack on my iPod!!

I've seen discussion of this on the Apple boards, but without any real remedies. Can anyone help me before I take this to a genius (which is a hassle)?

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Seattle Wa.
happened to me before (seven kernel panics) the thing that fixed it was verifying and repairing the ipod hard drive through the disk utility. if you have to, boot from the cd, otherwise itunes will open and cause a kernel panic again. if it says that it can't be repaired try repairing it a few times. good luck :)

--andrzej

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
Short of booting from the CD, is there any other way to do this? The reason I ask is b/c I don't have the CD with me...

Can I stop iTunes from opening when the iPod is connected?

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
Nevermind, problem remidied.

I was able to 'force quit' iTunes while it was starting, then i proceeded to verify/repair my iPod disk. strangely enough, each time it says it has been repaired, the next verification shows one error...

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Seattle Wa.
Whigga Spitta said:
Nevermind, problem remidied.

I was able to 'force quit' iTunes while it was starting, then i proceeded to verify/repair my iPod disk. strangely enough, each time it says it has been repaired, the next verification shows one error...
mine held onto a single error for quite a while when that happened, it eventually went away by itself so i wouldnt worry about it :)

--andrzej

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.