PDA

View Full Version : Apple: PowerBook G5 will be "mother of all thermal challenges"

LaMerVipere
Jan 12, 2005, 06:43 PM
For Apple to produce a PowerBook equipped with a G5 processor will be the "mother of all thermal challenges," chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer said during Apple's Q1 2005 conference call today. The likelihood of such a product emerging in the near future is increasingly looking grim.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=836

EEP. :(

aethier
Jan 12, 2005, 06:49 PM
indeed that is some bad news. i wonder if they have givin up on a "real" G5 yet, and started to design some sort of mobile version..

aethier

jamdr
Jan 12, 2005, 07:21 PM
This is bad news but I'm not really surprised. It has been a long time since the first PowerMac G5 was released. If it was easy to put the same processor in a PowerBook, it would have happened by now. Since it has proved to be so difficult, I think it's time Apple starts thinking about alternative processors from freescale. What I don't understand is why a mobile G5 was not developed at IBM at the same time they were working on the desktop G5. Surely, Apple sells more PowerBooks than PowerMacs. So shouldn't that be their priority?

zebi_
Jan 12, 2005, 07:35 PM
If you read on on apple insider it gave a previous quote about the sub $800 pc market from the same guy...

My predictions are that there is a major revision looming - however not to clog up the apple website they didnt launch the PB at MWSF - to maximise sales on the Mac MINI. We'll have a major revision in a matter of weeks.

aricher
Jan 12, 2005, 07:39 PM
I fully agree with jamdr - IBM should have produced two kinds of chips - and maybe they have and maybe there are major revisions on the way. The again maybe not. My guess is that we'll see something big PB-wise at WWDC or around the time when Tiger is released.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 12, 2005, 08:08 PM
Another iBook G4, to replace another Pismo, looks more and more reasonable... :) It's gonna take a while before they'll put any new generation of processors in these little babies. I've always preferred the iBooks, not really needing the extra power of the PowerBooks. A bigger HD (100GB or even bigger) would be nice, though, so I'll wait a little while...

sjpetry
Jan 12, 2005, 08:09 PM
If you read on on apple insider it gave a previous quote about the sub $800 pc market from the same guy...

My predictions are that there is a major revision looming - however not to clog up the apple website they didnt launch the PB at MWSF - to maximise sales on the Mac MINI. We'll have a major revision in a matter of weeks.

I hope you are right. :(

sjpetry
Jan 12, 2005, 08:10 PM
I fully agree with jamdr - IBM should have produced two kinds of chips - and maybe they have and maybe there are major revisions on the way. The again maybe not. My guess is that we'll see something big PB-wise at WWDC or around the time when Tiger is released.

This is a great idea.

TrumanApple
Jan 12, 2005, 09:11 PM

thats a great idea... but nowhere near origional... my view is that they should always do this... mobile and desktop processing are two different beasts and they should be handled in different mannors...

with the pentium m about the step up to 2.4 ghz and the soon to be released AMD turion (64 bit mobile processor for ultraportables in the 1H2005), IBM or moterolla needs to develop a low voltage 64 bit mobile processor...

aethier
Jan 12, 2005, 09:42 PM

clearly you didn't listen to the quartly financial report broadcast (i did). AppleInsider post is a direct quote from Peter Oppennheimer himself (apple's CFO)

lem0nayde
Jan 12, 2005, 11:09 PM
Odd that a money guy would answer a question in such a forboding, negative manner. He didn't even try to spin it.

I think if IBM were developing a mobile G5, we would have heard about it. They are pretty open about announcing where their processors are headed. They don't really play the Apple secrecy game.

I wonder if Apple has shot itself in the foot by assuming they'd find a workaround for the G5 in Powerbooks -- and now having nothing to offer in place of it.

The real problem is that the Powerbooks are pretty much perfect machines. The only way to improve on them at this point is to make the more powerful. Shaving another 1/16th of an inch and giving a minor boost to the G4's isn't exactly going to have consumers running out to their nearest Apple Store. Frankly, I'd still take one of the "old" ones. They're awesome.

3Memos
Jan 12, 2005, 11:13 PM
Odd that a money guy would answer a question in such a forboding, negative manner. He didn't even try to spin it.

I think if IBM were developing a mobile G5, we would have heard about it. They are pretty open about announcing where their processors are headed. They don't really play the Apple secrecy game.

I wonder if Apple has shot itself in the foot by assuming they'd find a workaround for the G5 in Powerbooks -- and now having nothing to offer in place of it.

The real problem is that the Powerbooks are pretty much perfect machines. The only way to improve on them at this point is to make the more powerful. Shaving another 1/16th of an inch and giving a minor boost to the G4's isn't exactly going to have consumers running out to their nearest Apple Store. Frankly, I'd still take one of the "old" ones. They're awesome.

Yes, as it stands, the PowerBooks are still a formidable laptop. I think its much more likely the next versions of the PBs will have dual G4 Freescale chips that can be independantly turned off and on according to the mode of power.

Koodauw
Jan 12, 2005, 11:23 PM

Ummmm I'd have to dissagree. esp with the 12'' line. The 12'' shoudl get the features of its bigger siblings, FW800, backlight keyboard, etc. Better video Card? How about a higher resolution screen? A fair share have battery problems. You get the idea. There is always room for improvement.

For photoshop/video editing there isnt really all that much power in a PB. A new proc. would be a huge +, but Apple cant just pull one out of thin air.

Chaszmyr
Jan 12, 2005, 11:27 PM

Unless Apple has one around the corner (unlikely as it may be) which would make Apple's engineers look like the geniuses they are.