PDA

View Full Version : airport extreme with 80211.b router

gvsbdisco
Jan 12, 2005, 07:38 PM
Hello
I just purchased a new G4 ibook with built in airport extreme (I am hoping to become a windows convert). I brought it home and attempted to connect to my home wireless network which is served by a SMC Barricade wireless router. The ibook will see the router but with a signal that is so weak it is practically unusable. If i am five feet away from the router the signal will be weak but usable. Once i move beyond that range the connection is lost. With my dell laptop i can connect to the same router from anywhere in the house, on my front porch and on the back deck. Looking for any guidance. Thanks in advance

BenWakin
Jan 13, 2005, 12:29 AM
You should try reconnecting the antenna to your Airport card. I had the same problem as you, and all did was lift the keyboard up and fidgeted with the antenna to the airport card a little bit. Voila, 100% signal!

virividox
Jan 13, 2005, 12:35 AM
yeah i second the above post its most likely a loose airport card atenea connection. if you try it and the signal is still poor look to replacing the airport card, but it is most likely just a loose connection :) goodluck and happy wifi surfing

gvsbdisco
Jan 13, 2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks to both of you. I reset the card and secured the antenna and i now have a strong signal. Thanks again.