Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Was just wondering in everything Apple is doing, Google seems to be in it as well.

Now if Apple screws up 10.7, I would still get a Mac just for the hardware and support but I would more likely boot Chrome OS on it.

My iPhone 3G is already Google-ified as much as possible, so that pretty much explains which direction am heading with my next phone purchase.

I am really missing innovation on the software side and it has been a little stagnant of late with Apple, on the other hand Google as we know has been coming up with intelligent solutions rapidly.

As for the privacy issues, that doesn't really concern me as I don't have anything to hide. I guess the only results from this is seeing ads that I would actually be interested in, then that becomes information, which serves to empower.

What do you guys think? I am newbie here but I notice there are lots more informed individuals in here then fanboys, so your inputs are most welcomed.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So when you get your "Android Phone" and get used to its functions you'll be saying its not innovative?

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
More likely boot Chrome OS?
Good luck with that

I fail to see the fascination with all things Google
Sure, I use Gmail and Search, but that's about it

Whatever works for you, go for it

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
As for the privacy issues, that doesn't really concern me as I don't have anything to hide.

Your naivete is showing. I am no conspiracy theorist, but a right to privacy is central to freedom. Any database, with enough information, can be used to know you better than you know yourself, predict your actions, and manipulate the reality presented to you. Apple knows what producs I buy. Google knows what, when, how I've searched, and if I used them more, my contacts (voice, mail, location/maps, shopping perferences, etc.) Knowlege IS power and you are trusting a private company has your best interests at heart.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
If Apple were to suddenly disappear:

Google would be my 2nd choice.
Right after Linux.

Microsoft would be my dead last choice. Right after going back to snail mail, reading the newspaper, watching broadcast TV and using an AT&T wired land phone. Maybe after an Abacus too.

Have Fun,
Happy Friday Eve!
Keri

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's no such thing as a savior. Apple and Goolge are public companies responsible to their shareholders. They don't care about you.

Agreed, apple is a company producing products that generally fit my needs. If they don't fit my needs, another company will be it Google, Microsoft, or HP.

Savior implies salvation and a spiritual aspect, while it seems to some adoration of apple is on a religious proportion, that's not the case with me.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Why so much fuss over the word "Savior"?

Ok, so the thread here is about who might step in if Apple fails.

The OP decided to use the word "Savior" to describe someone that might salvage the situation.

This is a perfectly acceptable use of the word "Savior".

Why so much fuss? Being a Savior does not necessarily have any religious connotations, and even if it's a cold-hearted corporation, it can still be a savior for many.

Though I fInd it hard to imagine, even MICROSOFT could be a savior! From what is difficult to think of. Maybe productivity?

Let's lighten up a little.
It's Friday Eve, after all

Have fun,
Keri

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple "screwing up" 10.7 is about as likely a MS shares passing $100.

The same crew that brought you the iPhone, iPad, iOS . . . doesn't know *how* to screw up. They know what they're doing when it comes to tech, rest assured.

If you're looking for everyone's permission to get an Android phone, you've got it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
. . . doesn't know *how* to screw up.
They certainly do, and I've mentioned a few of Apple's screw ups to you, even though you refuse to acknowledge them as screw ups (even though Apple have done.)

But I agree, 10.7 is looking good to me so far. I may not update immediately, I remember the nightmares of the early Snow Leopard all too well.

The great thing though *LTD*, your post had nothing to do with the topic in hand. The OP is not saying Apple will screw up. He is asking what if Apple screw up so big, we have no choice than to go to other companies products. Again, you're fanboyism has blinded you again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple "screwing up" 10.7 is about as likely a MS shares passing $100
Funny you mentioned that because I just got a corporate email directing everyone who has a mac NOT to update to 10.6.5 as it's making the laptops inoperable. There seems to be some software incompatibilities, and while its not apple's fault in one sense we have an official update that causing headaches in my company.

The same folks who brought you iOS and other OSX updates have most definitely released updates that were buggy and in come cases pulled them because of that.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Funny you mentioned that because I just got a corporate email directing everyone who has a mac NOT to update to 10.6.5 as it's making the laptops inoperable. There seems to be some software incompatibilities, and while its not apple's fault in one sense we have an official update that causing headaches in my company.

The same folks who brought you iOS and other OSX updates have most definitely released updates that were buggy and in come cases pulled them because of that.
Unless there are factual issues specified, that's FUD.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I'd sooner go back to Microsoft than Google.

I love your answer! ... and my answer is a simple ah NO ... Google and FaceBook are flash in the Pans.

Every once in a while companies come around and try to compete in the Business World without business plans. These 2 are a perfect example. They are actually doing pretty good at convincing people that personal information and AdSpam are things people want. Spam used to be frowned upon ... these 2 behemoths dress it up and tell you it is nouveau chic.

On the other hand Apple and Adobe as companies are proven Studs ... even without the iPod, iPhone, and iPad ... Apple would still be making a better Computer ... mainly because of OSX. Those 3 nifty little gadgets just fill Apple's pockets with cash.

IMO ... I see Google buying FaceBook one day ... when time has run out on both of them. It will be their last ditch attempt at survival

... Even Nortel had a business plan ... As for AdSpam, people are already ignoring it. :cool:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I fail to see the fascination with all things Apple
Sure, I use a Macbook and an iPhone, but that's about it

Whatever works for you, go for it

Sounds just as true. Never put a corporation up as a Savior or any higher than it needs to be. They are all out to get your money out of your pocket and into theirs. Some are just more law abiding than others when it comes to the method.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, HP, Cisco, IBM, Oracle and all other firms in this industry are just corporations. None are the devil, none are a savior. Get the products you want from whoever and don't look back (though I suggest against Microsoft because of ethical reasons).

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
No FUD, I got the email directing the employees to forgo the update.

If the update screwed up, this forum would explode with distressed threads and posts.
IT guys sometimes are anal.

Now if it's a corporate instruction, just comply.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Your naivete is showing. I am no conspiracy theorist, but a right to privacy is central to freedom. Any database, with enough information, can be used to know you better than you know yourself, predict your actions, and manipulate the reality presented to you. Apple knows what producs I buy. Google knows what, when, how I've searched, and if I used them more, my contacts (voice, mail, location/maps, shopping perferences, etc.) Knowlege IS power and you are trusting a private company has your best interests at heart.

Yes Google would know me better but over the years using their services I have never encountered no such prediction of actions or augmented realities.

If one is really concerned about privacy issues, it is really hard to embrace technology. Everything you do online is logged it doesn't matter what you use.

The question here is do you have something to hide? When I was comparing Safari, Firefox and Chrome - I noticed that Safari's Private Mode does not log me off Google account or any other account for that matter but Firefox and Chrome does. Point to ponder?

Also "Google Inc. is a multinational public corporation invested in Internet search, cloud computing, and advertising technologies." Google [Online] (Updated 11 November 2010) Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google [Accessed 11 November 2010].
Ok, so the thread here is about who might step in if Apple fails.

The OP decided to use the word "Savior" to describe someone that might salvage the situation.

This is a perfectly acceptable use of the word "Savior".

Why so much fuss? Being a Savior does not necessarily have any religious connotations, and even if it's a cold-hearted corporation, it can still be a savior for many.

Though I fInd it hard to imagine, even MICROSOFT could be a savior! From what is difficult to think of. Maybe productivity?

Let's lighten up a little.
It's Friday Eve, after all

Have fun,
Keri

Thank you Keri, perhaps I should have been more clear with my terms, lol.

So when you get your "Android Phone" and get used to its functions you'll be saying its not innovative?

Good luck.

Yes and I will be expecting for more innovation. It gets boring when a design doesn't improve, and it makes you wonder why should should you invest in it. There is always room for progress.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I don't see how Apple fans can still consider Microsoft an evil empire anymore, and how Microsoft would be the last company they turn to. :rolleyes:

That gimmick was fun, back in 2001.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the update screwed up, this forum would explode with distressed threads and posts.
IT guys sometimes are anal.

Now if it's a corporate instruction, just comply.

It is a corporate instruction and so we are complying. I'm not saying 10.6.5 is bad just that apple does mess things up from time to time and in this specific case, the update is not playing nice with some of the software we use on the Mac. I'm not saying its apple's fault, just that applying an apple fix is leaving the machines dead. For the moment, the best approach is to stay on 10.6.4 until a fix can be found

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
As for the privacy issues, that doesn't really concern me as I don't have anything to hide. I guess the only results from this is seeing ads that I would actually be interested in, then that becomes information, which serves to empower.

What do you guys think? I am newbie here but I notice there are lots more informed individuals in here then fanboys, so your inputs are most welcomed.

Don't worry. Google is your friend. In fact, Google is your best friend. Notice how when you read Gmail, Google knows exactly what is on your mind and helps you pick out your next purchase before you even knew you needed it? Such simpatico is what we all need in a friend and yet is so hard to find. Yes, you can definitely trust Google with all of your most personal information.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Don't worry. Google is your friend. In fact, Google is your best friend. Notice how when you read Gmail, Google knows exactly what is on your mind and helps you pick out your next purchase before you even knew you needed it? Such simpatico is what we all need in a friend and yet is so hard to find. Yes, you can definitely trust Google with all of your most personal information.

Uum, I dunno know what you are talking about. If you mean the web clips that play on the header you can disable them.

When was the last time you use Gmail? I was going to do a screengrab to show you but it would probably be too much for you living under that thick hard nut shell of yours.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Uum, I dunno know what you are talking about. If you mean the web clips that play on the header you can disable them.

When was the last time you use Gmail? I was going to do a screengrab to show you but it would probably be too much for you living under that thick hard nut shell of yours.

Next time you see an add pop up in say youtube/gmail etc, pay attention to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.