PDA

View Full Version : iBooks Got Me Back Into Reading

donster28
Nov 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
When I was young books were part of my daily life. Read a whole ton.

Nowadays, it's hard for me to finish a book, even start one. With the easy access of movies and other videos, I have become less and less a book reader.

Thanks to iBooks, I now look forward to reading again.

There, I finally let it out...now it feels good. :D

WilliamG
Nov 11, 2010, 12:35 PM
iBooks reminded me why I dislike reading on LCD screens. Jaggy, aliased text = no fun.

Thank goodness the Kindle is still e-ink!

jonnymo5
Nov 11, 2010, 12:43 PM

Nothing like that "I'm having a seizure" feeling when you change pages.

frunkis54
Nov 11, 2010, 12:56 PM
i prefer audible
just like have mommy read to you when you where little :D

guywoodman7
Nov 11, 2010, 01:27 PM
iBooks reminded me why I dislike reading on LCD screens. Jaggy, aliased text = no fun.

To me this point is moot. Granted when compared side by side, the kindle e-ink display does display text much smoother.

But what I don't understand about this argument is that nearly every single one of us deal with reading on LCD screens all day long. Heck, you're even reading this post right now on an LCD most likely, and we ALL get by just fine.

I assume most of you have jobs (like myself) that requires you to sit in front of a computer screen for the better part of a day. And those without jobs, probably spend even more time in front of a computer display.

Granted the iPad resolution isn't as high as some of our LCD monitors, but to me it feels just right.

Because of iBooks (on iPad and iPhone 4), my reading has skyrocketed. I averaged maybe 1 or 2 books a year prior. I am currently reading my 10th book since the iPad was released. And I have no problem whatsoever reading the text on the iPad's LCD screen.

Ultimately my main problem with the kindle is that its ANOTHER device that has a sole purpose. We're in 2010, we shouldn't need a dedicated device for something like reading. The whole reason I'm reading so much more is because I don't need to remember to bring a book with me, or a Kindle for that matter, because I always am carrying a book on my iPhone (which almost never leaves my side) and on the iPad when I'm at home/work.

The last thing I need is another device to tote around...IMO, iBooks on the iPad blows away the Kindle experience in every way. Especially the feature "Search" which searches the entire book your in as well as giving you the option to look up whatever you have selected in google or wikipedia. I find myself doing this constantly.

But to each their own I guess.

Moyank24
Nov 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
To me this point is moot. Granted when compared side by side, the kindle e-ink display does display text much smoother.

But what I don't understand about this argument is that nearly every single one of us deal with reading on LCD screens all day long. Heck, you're even reading this post right now on an LCD most likely, and we ALL get by just fine.

I assume most of you have jobs (like myself) that requires you to sit in front of a computer screen for the better part of a day. And those without jobs, probably spend even more time in front of a computer display.

Granted the iPad resolution isn't as high as some of our LCD monitors, but to me it feels just right.

Because of iBooks (on iPad and iPhone 4), my reading has skyrocketed. I averaged maybe 1 or 2 books a year prior. I am currently reading my 10th book since the iPad was released. And I have no problem whatsoever reading the text on the iPad's LCD screen.

Ultimately my main problem with the kindle is that its ANOTHER device that has a sole purpose. We're in 2010, we shouldn't need a dedicated device for something like reading. The whole reason I'm reading so much more is because I don't need to remember to bring a book with me, or a Kindle for that matter, because I always am carrying a book on my iPhone (which almost never leaves my side) and on the iPad when I'm at home/work.

The last thing I need is another device to tote around...IMO, iBooks on the iPad blows away the Kindle experience in every way. Especially the feature "Search" which searches the entire book your in as well as giving you the option to look up whatever you have selected in google or wikipedia. I find myself doing this constantly.

But to each their own I guess.

I couldn't agree more. If I had to toot around with a Kindle or a Nook, I wouldn't read half as much. I mostly read on my iPhone, because it is always with me, but I also do a ton of reading on the iPad. There's just so much more you can do with it.

My mother, who at best can be described as a technophobe, received a Nook for Christmas last year. After a couple times of playing around with my iPad, she purchased one as well. She can listen to music while she is reading, check her e-mail, facebook, and do a ton of other things that she wouldn't be able to do with her Nook. She hasn't touched the Nook since she purchased the iPad.

Akash.B
Nov 11, 2010, 01:39 PM
Agreed, reading on the iPad is so convenient. I've read a lot of books on it, in fact, I actually take the iPad to school to read whatever book we're reading in class. It's so easy to take notes and highlight stuff, makes my world easier. And also that I can read at night while laying comfortably in bed makes it that much sweeter. No need for a lamp!

ugahairydawgs
Nov 11, 2010, 01:45 PM

Agreed 100%. With so many great options out there these days (not just iPad in this instance....lots of tablets out there that can run Kindle and Nook apps) I don't know why anyone would want to use a uni-tasker like the Kindle.

MsMerryMac
Nov 11, 2010, 01:48 PM
I sold my Kindle after having for 10 months and using it ONCE to a farmer who doesn't use a computer. I bought my iPad for various reasons, one of which to read books. I don't miss my kindle, but would be devastated if my iPad ran away from home. I actually prefer reading on the iPad to the kindle. Surprisingly, I wasn't a big fan of e-ink - it often looked faded, I hated the ghosting that forced me to redraw the page, and it did nothing more except display books. Kindle is great for people like my mum who dislike the computer, but not for serious geeks. :p

Apple...
Nov 11, 2010, 01:52 PM
Not even iBooks coupled with an iPad could change me... :D

H00513R
Nov 11, 2010, 01:59 PM

So true - never intended to use my iPad (when I had it) for reading. Eye fatigue/strain was just as bad as looking at any other monitor. Get an e-ink device.

Night Spring
Nov 11, 2010, 02:38 PM
So true - never intended to use my iPad (when I had it) for reading. Eye fatigue/strain was just as bad as looking at any other monitor. Get an e-ink device.

Whether one prefers e-ink or LCD appears to vary greatly from person to person. Some people absolutely swear by e-ink, others just hate it. You really need to try it yourself to see if it works for you.

WilliamG
Nov 11, 2010, 03:23 PM
Agreed 100%. With so many great options out there these days (not just iPad in this instance....lots of tablets out there that can run Kindle and Nook apps) I don't know why anyone would want to use a uni-tasker like the Kindle.

Why anyone would want to hold a 1.5lb book with the so many distractions and the crutch of battery life is beyond me.

I can curl up with my Kindle and be happy, in much the same way I did with a real book. That's not possible with an iPad. Too much... electronics.

poloponies
Nov 11, 2010, 03:33 PM
Why anyone would want to hold a 1.5lb book with the so many distractions and the crutch of battery life is beyond me.

I can curl up with my Kindle and be happy, in much the same way I did with a real book. That's not possible with an iPad. Too much... electronics.

That's just nutty.

aristobrat
Nov 11, 2010, 03:48 PM
I think I suffer from self-diagnosed "AHD---oooh, shiny!". With an iPad, I'll be 2 minutes into a book, get a fleeting thought about "hmm, wonder if any of my apps need updating", and before I know it, I'm in the App Store looking at the top 25. Or checking my email. Or googling some tangential thought.

A uni-tasking device, like the Kindle, makes it more likely *I* will uni-task. And for me, reading a book, that's a good thing.

Whether one prefers e-ink or LCD appears to vary greatly from person to person. Some people absolutely swear by e-ink, others just hate it. You really need to try it yourself to see if it works for you.
I prefer the solution with the least amount of glare. Glare doesn't bother me when the screen content changes frequently, but when it's not (like w/ iBooks), it really gets on me.

ronjon10
Nov 11, 2010, 04:56 PM
I have an ipad and a kindle. I don't like the kindle because the screen glare is too annoying. Oddly, the same isn't true with the ipad, even with the glossy screen.

Ironically though, I'm reading more paper books now. The e-book prices are nuts. When I find a book I want in e-book format, I can usually find it for less on Amazon by a used book dealer.

papa8706
Nov 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
I haven't experienced any eye strain problems when i turn the brightness down and the backlit screen is versatile at night. I find I enjoy reading more and use the highlight function frequently. I just wish I had this in high school when I had to answer reading comprehension questions and such

hitekalex
Nov 11, 2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks to iBooks, I now look forward to reading again.

There, I finally let it out...now it feels good. :D

You "look forward" to reading, or you actually ARE reading? Call us back when you finish a book or two.

Coukos34
Nov 11, 2010, 06:33 PM
I think I suffer from self-diagnosed "AHD---oooh, shiny!". With an iPad, I'll be 2 minutes into a book, get a fleeting thought about "hmm, wonder if any of my apps need updating", and before I know it, I'm in the App Store looking at the top 25. Or checking my email. Or googling some tangential thought.

Couldn't agree more. I though I would maybe start reading books because of the iPad but it is so far from the truth for me. I cant subject myself to reading a book on the iPad when there is so much else at your fingertips. I think having a kindle is best for someone who is mostly interested in books.

Moyank24
Nov 11, 2010, 06:54 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by too much electronics. I curl up with my iPad all the time. It's actually much more comfortable than holding a full length novel with a hard cover, and probably lighter as well.

ngenerator
Nov 11, 2010, 07:07 PM
I relate to you, OP. When I first got the iPad, I viewed iBooks as more of a "eh, maybe I'll get a book or two" type situation. Now, I absolutely love them! All that's on my xmas list is iBooks/iTunes gift cards so I can just get more of them.

The main thing that turned me to liking iBooks more was the fact that the Fallout 3 GOTY edition (hence, the avatar ;)) guide is 700+ pages. It's much easier having the pdf file in Goodreader on my iPad and having that next to me on the couch compared to having the huge hardcover guide. It's just all the much handier to have GBs worth of books on it compared to having the actual books in your backpack/bag/whatever have you.

donster28
Nov 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
You "look forward" to reading, or you actually ARE reading? Call us back when you finish a book or two.

I meant "I look forward to reading (regularly) again."

I thought it was clear enough...I guess not. I apologize.

AAPLaday
Nov 12, 2010, 11:12 AM
I read a lot more now than i did when i was younger. Ebooks have really helped with this. But my choice of reading equipment is a kindle which i much prefer even though i own an iPad too. But as long as your reading and dont suffer from eye strain dont worry about which device you own ;)

poloponies
Nov 12, 2010, 11:23 AM
I read a lot more now than i did when i was younger. Ebooks have really helped with this. But my choice of reading equipment is a kindle which i much prefer even though i own an iPad too. But as long as your reading and dont suffer from eye strain dont worry about which device you own ;)

I've always been a reader but my reading was less consistent pre-Kindle/iPad. I've had a regular train commute for 15 years (about 40 minutes each way) and always had a book with me. However there were days (or weeks) when the book didn't grab me or I wasn't in the mood. Since getting the first Kindle I often have 2, 3 or 4 books going at the same time so there's usually something keeping my interest at any given time and I tend to read more consistently - nearly every day. I went through the first two Kindles before getting the iPad which is now such a pleasure to use that I can't see going back to the Kindles (which have been passed down to the kids). I do a lot of non-fiction reading and the ability to view photographs/diagrams/maps within books is far superior on the iPad. I can also pop out to Wikipedia or the Internet when I want to expand on something I'm reading. Depending on how/what you enjoy reading, the experience on the iPad can take it to levels that can't be matched with physical books or eReaders.

naleksiev
Nov 12, 2010, 02:00 PM
Of course it's the screen quality is why we don't read books :D
It's not the anti aliasing that is missing, it's the picture and sound!

I do like reading on iPad and yes I'm looking towards the day when iPad will have retina display. But that smell of books is also nice!

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
The Kindle is horrible. Why do I need to pay to see black and white? My eyes can see color for free.

I read stuff all day long on LCD screens. The Kindle is too small for any serious reading because most books are bigger than that 7 inch screen. For short novels, sure it'll do fine. I'd rather have an iPad. It does more than just reading. If I want to stop reading and take a break, I can watch a video, listen to music or a bunch of other things. I can also look online for notes about what I'm reading like spark notes or someones detailed analysis of the first chapter.

If you are using a computer, desktop or laptop and a cellphone made in the last few years, you should be fine with reading stuff on a LCD screen. You've been reading already. For beach readers, yea a Kindle with no glare is ideal. But I'm not paying $139 for that privilege. I'd rather have fun at the beach by surfing, building sand castles or hanging out etc.

zhenya
Nov 12, 2010, 03:16 PM
As a huge paper book fan, I'm honestly quite surprised at how much I like reading on the iPad. I've read a couple of thousand pages already and find no eyestrain problems at all. Things like the built-in dictionary and lack of a need for a backlight are major advances over a traditional book, (or the Kindle in the case of the backlight). Sure, I'll be glad when it's a bit lighter, but honestly, it's not like holding a paperback book open is easy, and the iPad is only marginally heavier (and easier to hold) than the average hard cover.

AAPLaday
Nov 12, 2010, 04:04 PM
The Kindle is horrible. Why do I need to pay to see black and white? My eyes can see color for free.

I read stuff all day long on LCD screens. The Kindle is too small for any serious reading because most books are bigger than that 7 inch screen. For short novels, sure it'll do fine. I'd rather have an iPad. It does more than just reading. If I want to stop reading and take a break, I can watch a video, listen to music or a bunch of other things. I can also look online for notes about what I'm reading like spark notes or someones detailed analysis of the first chapter.

If you are using a computer, desktop or laptop and a cellphone made in the last few years, you should be fine with reading stuff on a LCD screen. You've been reading already. For beach readers, yea a Kindle with no glare is ideal. But I'm not paying $139 for that privilege. I'd rather have fun at the beach by surfing, building sand castles or hanging out etc.

Spoken like someone who has never owned a Kindle.

padma
Nov 14, 2010, 11:36 PM
I just can't get into reading with the iPad, whether in Goodreader or iBooks. Something about having a real book keeps my attention, where if I'm reading on the iPad I quickly lose focus...not as in I want to play a game or open another app, but I just can't get through the page.

Might try a Kindle for that reason, because I love the offer of a portable library.

ScottNWDW
Nov 15, 2010, 07:32 AM
Since getting my iPad, back in april when they came out, I have read more books through the iBooks, Kindle and Nook apps than I have in the past 7 years. Part of the reason is that the book is always with me, whether it be on my iPad or iPhone 4.

I usually bring my iPad to work and on breaks I now find myself reading. Before the iPad, I just did not want to carry a book around. The iPad is lighter and less bulky than most books.

I had the kindle app on my iPhone 3G before getting the iPad, but always felt the phone to be too small, but I did use it, just not as much. Once I got the iPad it felt more natural since the size was more like a real book.

I don't find the text to be jaggy or aliased at all as the OP stated.

emw
Nov 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
I'd agree that my reading has increased significantly - I've latched on to the Nook application since I'd received a B&N gift card, so financially it just made sense to me. Speaking of which, I'm still disappointed there's no rental option for books.

I can get a library book for free, so paying for an e-book that I'll generally read once seems like a bit of a waste. It certainly would be nice to have the option to "check out" a book for $.99 for a week or something.

gnychis
Nov 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
ibooks has me wizzing through angels and demons, a book i struggled to keep up with carrying around eveywhere with me. With it always with me now, it's amazing.

JBazz
Nov 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
I am suffering from iPad burn-out right now. I really dont even want to see the thing in my bag. I get like that sometimes with other devices (like my PSP). I can put them down and might not pick them back up again for several weeks.

But to date, I have never experienced burn-out with my Kindle. I have never been tired of it and I have had one for somewhere in the 2 year range. I still read it every day, even if it is just newspapers and blogs.