PDA

View Full Version : iAnnotate PDF Vs. GoodReader for reading and annotating

j-a-x
Nov 11, 2010, 11:48 AM
I recently purchased GoodReader because while iBooks is fine for reading PDFs, it doesn't let me annotate them.

GoodReader is okay, although I don't really like the UI and I find that sometimes scrolling through PDF pages is slow compared to iBooks.

I was wondering if anybody has tried both iAnnotate PDF and GoodReader, and if so, can you tell me how the performance of iAnnotate compares. I might consider paying $10 for a PDF annotater if only I know that it performs better than what I am already using.

calb
Nov 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
I've been using iAnnotate for some time but only bought GoodReader last night, so I haven't had time to explore its updated features and give it a full shakedown.

IMHO iAnnotate is far superior. There are a couple of areas GoodReader excels (like in the automatic page fit, having two up, etc), but by and large iAnnotate does everything else more effectively. These are just a few reasons why it suits my workflow better than GoodReader:

- Tabs. It speaks for itself, but having several documents open with the ability to flick between them is useful.

- Sharing features. The ability to email or paste to clipboard a summary of all notes/highlights/annotations you've made is just brilliant, and makes light work of noting the most poignant areas in an academic article.

- Annotation tools. They are far quicker to access than in GoodReader. If you want to highlight something in iAnnotate, you just tap the icon in the toolbar and drag it over the text (as much as you want – you can scroll through the document even with the highlight tool selected) before confirming your selection. You can set as many different colour highlighters up as you want. By contrast, in GoodReader you must tap-and-hold, drag the handles to select a continuous chunk of text, then tap highlight from the popup. If you want to change the colour of the highlight you need to tap, choose colour, confirm your choice; using multiple colours is just too time consuming. I prefer the behaviour of notes in iAnnotate too, for reviewing and revision purposes. Tapping every note in GoodReader is tiresome.

As I understand it, the annotation features were only recently added to GoodReader, and as it stands it is excellent value. Hopefully with a bit more time to mature, the tools will be a bit more intuitive. For now though, iAnnotate fits my workflow and is unlikely to be ousted for some time.

Readdlemate
Nov 12, 2010, 01:48 PM
PDF Expert for iPad might be the best solution.
It has very friendly UI,capable of handling huge files, page screen lock and other cool features.
Have a look: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-for-ipad-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

spammerhamster
Nov 13, 2010, 05:50 AM
Annotating with iAnnotate is easier/fluent, but I hate how it jumps in and out of fullscreen everytime.

Goodreader is better for reading.

It has very friendly UI,capable of handling huge files, page screen lock and other cool features.
Have a look: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-for-ipad-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

talk about a shameless plug...

Wazzerb
Nov 14, 2010, 03:48 AM

When your app can annotate encrypted PDF's then it will be the winner. Any news on whether that feature is being included?

Until that time, iAnnotate is the best in my opinion.

THiPad
Nov 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
I agree... I bought GoodReader and had problems with the highlighting alignment. The width was too big and it overlapped from line to line.

I love PDF Expert much better for my needs.

CADer
Jan 9, 2011, 01:49 PM
Lets keep this discussion going!

I am about to get an iPad, depending on when the iPad 2 comes out, and need a PDF annotation app for work and life! And Dropbox is a huge part of my life too so support is good.

90% of my jobs require a signature from the client and the ability to fill type text in the notes section - whether it be via a fill in the predefined space or just being able to type on the doc and it be visible when printed, so adding a note annotation doesn't work.

I use goodreader on my iPhone but it doesn't allow typing on the pdf. Does the ipad version? But I hate the one sided DropBox use, doesn't sync back to dropbox.

iAnnotate was the first to the scene and I used it back when it first came out so I am not sure if it can fill in form or type text on the pdf. Not just finger writing that won't cut it for me. Does this app have dropbox support, and to what level?

PDF Expert seams like is will fill in the form and I thought it said it could also type text on any pdf not sure? Anyone? It says it has both way sync for DropBox, anyone know how well that is? I like the signature button and how from the screen shots it goes full screen! Thats what I need.

From my rough synopsis I would go with PDF Expert but since I don't have an iPad I don't know all that much about each app so any help would be great!! Even if you only have one of the apps give your pros and cons please, Drop box? Printable text on PDF?

Thanks!!

saberahul
Jan 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
I really like PDF Expert a lot. I've been using GR for a very long time however in terms of feasibility, efficiency, and productivity, PDF Expert beats them all.
Run a comparison yourself and then decide. Since everyone has different needs - you're better off researching yourself and then deciding as per your wants/needs.

CADer
Jan 10, 2011, 01:04 AM
I really like PDF Expert a lot. I've been using GR for a very long time however in terms of feasibility, efficiency, and productivity, PDF Expert beats them all.
Run a comparison yourself and then decide. Since everyone has different needs - you're better off researching yourself and then deciding as per your wants/needs.

Thanks for your input, I have been leaning toward PDF Expert. And posting in this thread is part of my research as I feel users of the apps are a better source than sites that review apps as they may not be real users of said apps. I have checked developers web sites and I still have unanswered questions which is why I am here. All feedback is taken in and processed.

Readdlemate
Jan 10, 2011, 06:33 AM
Lets keep this discussion going!

I am about to get an iPad, depending on when the iPad 2 comes out, and need a PDF annotation app for work and life! And Dropbox is a huge part of my life too so support is good.

90% of my jobs require a signature from the client and the ability to fill type text in the notes section - whether it be via a fill in the predefined space or just being able to type on the doc and it be visible when printed, so adding a note annotation doesn't work.

I use goodreader on my iPhone but it doesn't allow typing on the pdf. Does the ipad version? But I hate the one sided DropBox use, doesn't sync back to dropbox.

iAnnotate was the first to the scene and I used it back when it first came out so I am not sure if it can fill in form or type text on the pdf. Not just finger writing that won't cut it for me. Does this app have dropbox support, and to what level?

PDF Expert seams like is will fill in the form and I thought it said it could also type text on any pdf not sure? Anyone? It says it has both way sync for DropBox, anyone know how well that is? I like the signature button and how from the screen shots it goes full screen! Thats what I need.

From my rough synopsis I would go with PDF Expert but since I don't have an iPad I don't know all that much about each app so any help would be great!! Even if you only have one of the apps give your pros and cons please, Drop box? Printable text on PDF?

Thanks!!

PDF Epxert really lets you fill in PDF Forms. In addition, you can type text on any PDF documents. DropBox two-way sync is also available in PDF Expert.

More info here: http://readdle.com/pdfexpert_ipad

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

CADer
Jan 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
PDF Epxert really lets you fill in PDF Forms. In addition, you can type text on any PDF documents. DropBox two-way sync is also available in PDF Expert.

More info here: http://readdle.com/pdfexpert_ipad

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Ok brother in law just came over to visit with his iPad and I sold him on PDF Expert he is jailbroken but he paid for it legitamatly since he knows he will use it. He said to me he is fed up with iannotate and it's lack of the text fill and such.

But he needs a few features before he can issue iPads to employees and I agree.
Features:
-Print to PDF! (or hard save) making all changes on the document permanent and viewable by all devices and the annotations he made would not be able to be tampered with only more notes and annotations over top
- I couldnt figure out the signature deal? No erase, just a new sheet and the signature is saved and inserted each time- which is good for personal signature but can there be a list of saved signatures, option not to save some...? Or perhaps a Personal Signature that is saved and a separate signature for others to sign my PDFs a signature that doesn't need to be saved!!

I work a tech job and my work order need to be signed and sent back, I also don't want to print the 20-40 page color documents instructing me on the exact way to setup a POS machine just for the file to be revised the next time I do a job for the same store. Adding these features will make PDF Expert my app of all apps!

Oh yeah and do I get any kind of refferal bonus:)

Readdlemate
Jan 13, 2011, 07:18 PM
Ok brother in law just came over to visit with his iPad and I sold him on PDF Expert he is jailbroken but he paid for it legitamatly since he knows he will use it. He said to me he is fed up with iannotate and it's lack of the text fill and such.

But he needs a few features before he can issue iPads to employees and I agree.
Features:
-Print to PDF! (or hard save) making all changes on the document permanent and viewable by all devices and the annotations he made would not be able to be tampered with only more notes and annotations over top
- I couldnt figure out the signature deal? No erase, just a new sheet and the signature is saved and inserted each time- which is good for personal signature but can there be a list of saved signatures, option not to save some...? Or perhaps a Personal Signature that is saved and a separate signature for others to sign my PDFs a signature that doesn't need to be saved!!

I work a tech job and my work order need to be signed and sent back, I also don't want to print the 20-40 page color documents instructing me on the exact way to setup a POS machine just for the file to be revised the next time I do a job for the same store. Adding these features will make PDF Expert my app of all apps!

Oh yeah and do I get any kind of refferal bonus:)

Hello,

many thanks for your feedback.

I passed that to our Dev team, we'll see what can we improve. I will inform you as soon as possible. :)

turtle777
Jan 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
I recently purchased GoodReader because while iBooks is fine for reading PDFs, it doesn't let me annotate them.

You can convert PDFs into Apple's Book format with the free app Calibre.
Then you can annotate just as if it was an eBook.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

-t

Blarneystone
Mar 15, 2011, 03:46 PM
Do any of these iPad PDF or ebook readers create an annotation file that can be exported? It is the option I miss the most about the Kindle device.

j-a-x
Mar 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
iAnnotate will let you export all the highlighted text alongside the actual PDF. I've used that before to point of a specific paragraph in a scientific paper to somebody, I can send them both the paper highlighted and the text of that highlighted part along side it.

The biggest downside of iAnnotate is that sometimes highlighting text does not work perfectly. Sometimes when you try to highlight a paragraphs, there will be gaps not covered by the highlighter and sometimes in two column format documents (scientific papers) the highlighter will jump from one column to another (hard to explain without images). But overall I think it's the best solution for annotating PDFs in iOS.

CADer
Mar 15, 2011, 04:40 PM
Do any of these iPad PDF or ebook readers create an annotation file that can be exported? It is the option I miss the most about the Kindle device.

So I have PDF Expert now on miPad 2 and it let's you export an annotated PDF as a flattened PDF, so all annotations are printable and readable on all PDF software etc. kind of like a photoshop flatten all layers, all content is there just on one layer and not editable etc. You can export any other way you like also, normal annotations for editing annotations and I believe even a list of what annotations there are, willcheck on that one when I get to my iPad.

thibaulthalpern
Apr 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
So what's the latest opinions about GoodReader, iAnnotate, and PDF Expert? I too am looking into a sophisticated PDF reader and annotation software, and one that can easily sync with my Mac. I wish I could try out all three programmes before buying. It would be nice if Apple could have an option where we try out software for a day before it expires.

Clarification:
I ask about "latest opinions" because since the first reviews were written, both iAnnotate and PDF Expert and GoodReader have been updated several times and some of the original shortcomings have been addressed so some of the original reviews are no longer valid.

waxwing1
Apr 20, 2011, 09:46 PM
So what's the latest opinions about GoodReader, iAnnotate, and PDF Expert.

I reviewed the three programs the week I got my iPad 2. I needed something to annotate dozens of PDFs for a Masters thesis I'm working on. I originally intended to get iAnnotate but once I read a lot of blogs and reviews, settled on PDF Expert. I'm very happy with it. Love the Dropbox sync.

Yesterday I met with our Chief Tech Officer. I'll be doing an executive level presentation in June on great iPad apps. I mentioned PDF Expert and he said he hadn't heard of it and most execs were using iAnnotate with Goodreader. He gave me a big iTunes gift certificate so I could buy a number of these apps and try them out so I guess I'll give both a spin. Perhaps I can write a full blog post once my thesis is done in two weeks.

I'll buy them tonight and try to post a quick first impression in the next day or two as a response to this post.

szenttehen
Apr 21, 2011, 09:42 AM
@ waxwing1
Please do post your findings. I would be very interested in the pros and cons of PDF expert and iAnnotate which includes their latest features.

In particular, I read a lot of scientific papers and I would like to be able to effectively include hand written notes (using Pogo stylus). I read on my commute so one handed annotation is necessary. Hen pecking at the keyboard with one hand is slow and frustrating.

thibaulthalpern
Apr 21, 2011, 10:57 AM
@waxwing1

Yes, please do review and post your comments about the three PDF applications.

I'm working on my Ph.D. dissertation and while at this moment I'm not doing a lot of reading (since I'm deep in the writing phase) it could be really useful. In the past, I use Apple Preview to annotate the PDFs which I have stored in EndNote along with their appropriate citations.

In your review, I hope you address the major disadvantages or shortcomings of these programmes. And, as an academic, which programme do you think is most suitable for scholarly use? I'm in the qualitative side of the social sciences so do a lot of reading and not only of journal articles but also books.

monsieurpaul
Apr 21, 2011, 12:05 PM
@waxwing

I'am also very interested by a scientific évaluation of PDF reader/manager on iPad. In addition, I'm looking for 2 others features:
- Organize PDF by "folder"
- tag management
Does any of the app mentioned have this kind of features ? How is Papers (http://www.mekentosj.com/papers/ipad) for iPad, because I really love it on the Mac.

monsieurpaul
Apr 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
I have found this one: Sente (http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/site_6.2/iPadSente.html).
Seems full of features, but pretty expensive too. Does anyone use it or ever tried it ?

thibaulthalpern
May 1, 2011, 11:05 AM
iAnnotate will let you export all the highlighted text alongside the actual PDF. I've used that before to point of a specific paragraph in a scientific paper to somebody, I can send them both the paper highlighted and the text of that highlighted part along side it.

The biggest downside of iAnnotate is that sometimes highlighting text does not work perfectly. Sometimes when you try to highlight a paragraphs, there will be gaps not covered by the highlighter and sometimes in two column format documents (scientific papers) the highlighter will jump from one column to another (hard to explain without images). But overall I think it's the best solution for annotating PDFs in iOS.

If I'm correct, this jumping around has nothing to do with iannotate but has to do with how the article was OCR'd. When it was being OCR'd the device was not set to recognise columns and rather went right across the columns like a line. Try highlighting the problem PDF in other PDF programs on PC or MAC and you'll see the same "jumping around".

thibaulthalpern
May 1, 2011, 11:08 AM
I have found this one: Sente (http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/site_6.2/iPadSente.html).
Seems full of features, but pretty expensive too. Does anyone use it or ever tried it ?

Never used but Sente is more than just a PDF annotation reasons programme. Sente is a bibliography management tool

eritskes
May 11, 2011, 03:15 PM
I am also among the throngs looking for an app that can annotate and export as a flat PDF with the changes made, sync with DropBox would be grand as well. It's for a PhD thesis and being able to have multiple PDFs open would be neat too.

I think from my research it's come down to iAnnotate or PDF expert but I'm looking for some opinions to help decide. Thanks in advance!

Readdlemate
May 11, 2011, 05:16 PM
I am also among the throngs looking for an app that can annotate and export as a flat PDF with the changes made, sync with DropBox would be grand as well. It's for a PhD thesis and being able to have multiple PDFs open would be neat too.

I think from my research it's come down to iAnnotate or PDF expert but I'm looking for some opinions to help decide. Thanks in advance!

If you have any specific questions about PDF Expert I am here to answer.

Personally, being MSc student and writing my dissertation I am happy with PDF Expert, I have GR and iAnnotate tho.

bizringer
May 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
Anyone know if PDF expert or iannotate can run tabs, bookmarks, or multiple PDFs simultaneously? I'm confused by their descriptions it looks like they both will do a little of each. Any comments on the UI? Speed of searches? Thanks!

kuwisdelu
May 16, 2011, 11:46 PM
Anyone know if PDF expert or iannotate can run tabs, bookmarks, or multiple PDFs simultaneously? I'm confused by their descriptions it looks like they both will do a little of each. Any comments on the UI? Speed of searches? Thanks!

I haven't tried annotating in Good Reader and I don't have PDF Expert, but iAnnotate has tabs (for multiple pdfs) and bookmarking, and the searches are fast on my iPad 2. The UI is good and usable, but has a slight learning curve.

Readdlemate
May 17, 2011, 06:13 PM

There was similar question before. PDF Expert has list of 5 most 'recent' docs you've opened and bookmarks. We didn't make tabs for different documents to keep speed and avoid crashes.

Feel free to ask more questions.

rawan
May 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
I reviewed the three programs the week I got my iPad 2. I needed something to annotate dozens of PDFs for a Masters thesis I'm working on. I originally intended to get iAnnotate but once I read a lot of blogs and reviews, settled on PDF Expert. I'm very happy with it. Love the Dropbox sync.

Yesterday I met with our Chief Tech Officer. I'll be doing an executive level presentation in June on great iPad apps. I mentioned PDF Expert and he said he hadn't heard of it and most execs were using iAnnotate with Goodreader. He gave me a big iTunes gift certificate so I could buy a number of these apps and try them out so I guess I'll give both a spin. Perhaps I can write a full blog post once my thesis is done in two weeks.

I'll buy them tonight and try to post a quick first impression in the next day or two as a response to this post.

Any (updated) impressions on those apps? I was about to buy one now, but couldnt decide on which; goodreader or iAnnotate (or pdf expert)

This thread seemed the perfect resource, but as someone mentioned, all the apps were updated numerous times since the start of this thread.

Any input you might have would appreciated.

Many thanks

Zultner
Jun 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
When your app can annotate encrypted PDF's then it will be the winner. Any news on whether that feature is being included?

Until that time, iAnnotate is the best in my opinion.

Many articles are protected PDFs, and GoodReader can still annotate them, and export an annotated [flattened] article. I've had problems with iAnnotate on some articles. This is essential for academic annotations...

mnh73
Jun 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
I've been using iAnnotate for quite a while on the iPad and generally like it a lot. This is my main use of the iPad, taking notes on journal articles and grading students' papers.

But, one downside of iAnnotate is that it appears that they have not kept up to date with their iPhone version of the program. The iPhone version, which I haven't used in ages, lacks some of the newer features of the iPad version, most importantly syncing with Dropbox.

I came across this forum and based on the info decided to try downloading PDF Expert to my iPhone. I figured it would give me the iPhone functionality I needed and meanwhile let me test out the program in case it was worth getting for my iPad as well. I don't expect to do a ton of annotating on my little iPhone, but it's nice to have that option because it means I can get some work done no matter where I am.

I've only played around with PDF Expert for a few minutes, but I've already identified two issues that are deal-breakers. First, the process of creating an annotation in PDF Expert is way too clunky: tap and hold until the menu comes up, but the hold only selects a small portion of text so grab onto one of the tiny (especially on an iphone) handles to expand the selection, then tap on the menu to choose the type of annotation you want. And if you want a different color tap on the annotation again, choose colors, and choose the new color. Way too many steps to do over and over again. I like iAnnotate's approach of selecting a tool and creating as many annotations as you want with that tool until you turn off that tool.

The second issue is that there are no options for freehand tools (e.g. pencil tool). I use the pencil tool quite a bit (stars next to important points, arrows, etc). Also, some of the articles I read are old-school pdfs or scans of books where there is no OCR'd text to highlight. In those cases freehand tools (pencil tool or even better iAnnotate's new freehand highlighter) are the only options. iAnnotate also has a lot more options for different types of tools, colors, and customizing the toolbar.

So, although I appreciate having a program on my iPhone that syncs easily with Dropbox I'm going to stick with iAnnotate on my iPad. iAnnotate is not perfect but it's improving with each update and seems to be way ahead in terms of annotations. It's possible other apps are better on other fronts, perhaps forms which I rarely use.

bizringer
Jun 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the help everyone,

Several of my buddies are using iAnnotate which is a solid performer no doubt. I spent a lot of time playing with it. No experience on GoodReader. After a week or so of reading reviews, I decided to buy PDF Expert and give it a try. If you check out the developers website, PDF Expert includes all the same features as ReadleDocs which is essentially, GoodReader.

I have only used the PDF annotation programs on the iPad (no iphone experience) and overall am very satisfied with PDF Expert. I felt the the annotation interface was simpler and more intuitive than iAnnotate. I also like that you can actually fill PDF forms naturally if they are developed in a fillable format. The tab'ed browsing feature is not there, but I felt that PDF Expert was faster at switching between PDFs using the recent menu than iAnnotate using tabs. For all intensive purposes the lack of tabs is really not an issue. I asked the developer about it and he says that it was designed to open and perform well with really large PDF files which is why tabs are not used.

Also my buddies and I ran a few comparison tests between iAnnotate and PDF Expert. We used the same large PDF files and conducted word searches using identical iPad2's. PDF Expert was faster.

The biggest feature for me was the file management support in PDF Expert. Like iAnnotate, you get itunes and dropbox support. But you also get GoogleDocs, ftp, webdav, and a bunch of other file (cloud type) server support. The Wifi Drive works great and is much easier way to transfer files and build folders than using iTunes.

Lastly, the final deciding factor for my work...Bookmarks and Table of Contents. Now I'm not an expert but I could not figure out how to see the PDF file's built-in TOC in iAnnotate. PDF Expert quickly in one button push can show you the document's TOC, any of your personal bookmarks or tabs, and any annotations, which allow you to quickly turn the page to that portion of the document. Its really simple and fast. This is important if you want to make your own bookmarks and still be able to simultaneously access the TOC.

NOTE: I personally felt highlighting was more natural and realistic in PDF Expert rather than the traditional iOS way of highlighting.

Hope this helps!

epicmar
Jun 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
I noticed that iAnnotste has not had an update since Feb 28, 2011 and that there were a lot of critical reviews after the version 1.4 release. Is it a stable usable product in it's current release?

Does the company typically do more frequent updates and bug fixes?

Can you paste a link to a file in iAnnotate to other apps like you can with GoodReader?

How is its document organization features? I have hundreds of files in GoodReader and find that it is getting increasingly difficult to keep the organized so that I can quickly find a file.

Uhaa008
Jun 15, 2011, 01:55 PM
I noticed that iAnnotste has not had an update since Feb 28, 2011 and that there were a lot of critical reviews after the version 1.4 release. Is it a stable usable product in it's current release?

Does the company typically do more frequent updates and bug fixes?

Can you paste a link to a file in iAnnotate to other apps like you can with GoodReader?

How is its document organization features? I have hundreds of files in GoodReader and find that it is getting increasingly difficult to keep the organized so that I can quickly find a file.

It's difficult to tell if iAnnotate is stable as they closed down their forum and moved to an impenetrable and rarely updated support site. It's a great product but without community support it is difficult recommend.

Unless anyone knows where iAnnotate users gather...?

David

Readdlemate
Jun 16, 2011, 11:36 PM
I've been using iAnnotate for quite a while on the iPad and generally like it a lot. This is my main use of the iPad, taking notes on journal articles and grading students' papers.

But, one downside of iAnnotate is that it appears that they have not kept up to date with their iPhone version of the program. The iPhone version, which I haven't used in ages, lacks some of the newer features of the iPad version, most importantly syncing with Dropbox.

I came across this forum and based on the info decided to try downloading PDF Expert to my iPhone. I figured it would give me the iPhone functionality I needed and meanwhile let me test out the program in case it was worth getting for my iPad as well. I don't expect to do a ton of annotating on my little iPhone, but it's nice to have that option because it means I can get some work done no matter where I am.

I've only played around with PDF Expert for a few minutes, but I've already identified two issues that are deal-breakers. First, the process of creating an annotation in PDF Expert is way too clunky: tap and hold until the menu comes up, but the hold only selects a small portion of text so grab onto one of the tiny (especially on an iphone) handles to expand the selection, then tap on the menu to choose the type of annotation you want. And if you want a different color tap on the annotation again, choose colors, and choose the new color. Way too many steps to do over and over again. I like iAnnotate's approach of selecting a tool and creating as many annotations as you want with that tool until you turn off that tool.

The second issue is that there are no options for freehand tools (e.g. pencil tool). I use the pencil tool quite a bit (stars next to important points, arrows, etc). Also, some of the articles I read are old-school pdfs or scans of books where there is no OCR'd text to highlight. In those cases freehand tools (pencil tool or even better iAnnotate's new freehand highlighter) are the only options. iAnnotate also has a lot more options for different types of tools, colors, and customizing the toolbar.

So, although I appreciate having a program on my iPhone that syncs easily with Dropbox I'm going to stick with iAnnotate on my iPad. iAnnotate is not perfect but it's improving with each update and seems to be way ahead in terms of annotations. It's possible other apps are better on other fronts, perhaps forms which I rarely use.

Actually, there is a free-hand drawing (pencil) tool in PDF Expert for iPad.

Well, we had to make a choice between clean and simple interface and the number of steps for annotations. There is a trade-off. So far, we believe that this is the best and intuitive way of annotating (by tapping on text and highlighting it) with the given clean and simple UI. But thanks for your opinion. The major update is coming soon. It will be the most powerful PDF solution for iPad ! ;)

@bizringer, Thank you for support! Stay tuned.

Damon Hill
Jun 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
I use GoodReader and I almost bought iAnnotate last night (for the toolbar and ease of highlighting feature), but I'm glad I didn't because GoodReader just released an update that gives you a toolbar that you can pin to the screen.

You can now highlight text by drawing over the text with your finger, just like iAnnotate. No more having to press and hold, and drag to highlight, and then text. You also get tabs now so that you can easily switch between frequently used pdfs.

epicmar
Jun 25, 2011, 10:35 PM
The latest version of GoodReadeer is a very nice update. The tabs are very convenient for moving quickly between documents. The annotation related improvements make using annotations more efficient. I think that iAnnotate still has an edge over GR on annotations, but not enough to make a real difference for my usage. GR also seems to release updates more frequently so I think they will continue to close any gaps.

I wish GR would add tagging functionality, which iAnnotate already has. As I try to go paperless for my job, I find that I have so many documents in GR that I could really use a feature like tagging to help better organize and find documents that I need to reference, read, or review.

For my purposes, the major limitation with iAnnotate is the number of file types that it can't display. I think it can only handle PDF and with experimental features turned on it can convert some versions of Word and PowerPoint files into PDF. GR seems to be able to display almost any file type, e.g., PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, text, scalable vector graphics, RTF, HTML, zip (unzips by creating folder with file name and placing contents of the zip file in the folder). A couple of other iAnnotate limitations (I could not figure it out if it has these features; GR does) - it does not appear to be able to rename a folder and it does not appear to be able to tag multiple files and then move them as a group to another folder.

I own GoodReader, iAnnotate, ReaddleDocs, and iFiles for iPad. I keep trying these type of apps but so far only GoodReader meets my minimum requirements. Some reviewers don't care for the GoodReader interface, but I find that it is very easy to learn how to use and it is full featured.

amdi
Jul 3, 2011, 01:05 PM
Am I wrong or Goodreader is not able to search a keyword among all the PDFs library while i annotate can do so? Thanks

epicmar
Jul 3, 2011, 07:59 PM
Am I wrong or Goodreader is not able to search a keyword among all the PDFs library while i annotate can do so? Thanks

You are correct. iAnnotate can do a full text search across all PDFs in your library while GoodReader can only search the contents of the PDF that you are viewing. I am not sure, but I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that iAnnotate can only view PDF files while GoodReader can view many file types.

red.apple
Aug 14, 2011, 07:11 PM
iAnnotate works for other macs, like a MBP?
or is a app only for iPad?

If not, any similar program?
Thanks

palpatine
Aug 14, 2011, 10:08 PM
You are correct. iAnnotate can do a full text search across all PDFs in your library while GoodReader can only search the contents of the PDF that you are viewing. I am not sure, but I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that iAnnotate can only view PDF files while GoodReader can view many file types.

i did not know that. how fast is the search? in gr, it is pretty slow in one file. even if it could do a couple of hundred, at that speed, it is useless.

droidking
Aug 15, 2011, 09:39 AM
My vote goes to PDF Expert. Feature rich, easy to use and never had a problem with it.

rockem sockem
Aug 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
Does either app allow you to edit PDFs that editable?

stockcerts
Aug 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know if any of the products has the ability to open a password protected PDF?

Thanks!

mojohojo
Aug 25, 2011, 04:26 AM
As a university student, I've been looking around for an app that could replace and save money from printing hundreds of papers for all the reading and I'm quite surprised there isn't that many refined apps out there right now.
What i needed was an app that would be like my typical 'folder' i used to carry with all my printed documents. so i needed an app that could store and organize all my work files (pdf, doc). a 'finder' style interface to organize documents to their subjects. and free-hand annotating tools to annotate documents as most of my pdf documents are from scanned books and not OCR.

Been researching quite some time on other forums and reviews of the programs and it came down between iAnnotate and PDF Expert, both i thought were quite expensive.In the end, i decided to go with PDF Expert because the UI looked more refined, but also because of their customer service and they have someone here reading our comments!
After using it for a while, I am fairly satisfied with the app but i could see why many people could choose it over iAnnotate which has more flexibility and features.
One of the things which could improve is having presets of annotating styles on the menu bar (which i think iAnnotate does) - such as 1.yellow highlighter 2.red solid line 3.black solid line etc. - it is quite bothersome to have to manually pick the color, the thickness and then the opacity of annotating tool.
Also it would be nice to have the ability to see the pdf pages in thumbnail on like a side bar so you could quickly find the page you want rather than having to flick through each page until you find it.

Odbxl
Aug 25, 2011, 05:58 AM
i did not know that. how fast is the search? in gr, it is pretty slow in one file. even if it could do a couple of hundred, at that speed, it is useless.

It is really fast, I have hundreds of docs in IA, among them was my boarding pass buried deep somewhere in my library. I found it in 2 seconds.

I am a big fan of IA, I use it for everything, save as PDF any interesting article online (yes, you can create PDF files from a webpage), read articles and annotate, it is my e-library. The only annoying thing is that when you search a word in a document, you cannot highlight them all and then scroll down ... and results are actually not highlighted, but marked using a kind of box with yellow borders that I really hate. Small things that someday will be fixed, yet the app is impressive, without it my iPad would be useless.

mojohojo
Sep 15, 2011, 09:36 PM
PDF expert has just had an update and I'm really happy with it. Having more annotation tools and easier to select between them, and to see thumbnail of all pages! Haven't really used much of it yet but I'm more glad now I picked it over iannotate for now!

swedefish
Sep 18, 2011, 06:09 AM
I will always rush to goodReader's defense in these types of threads. It's the best-value app for the iPad imo.

palpatine
Sep 18, 2011, 10:51 AM
i use goodreader and i am quite pleased with it, but i have not used iannotate, so i cannot compare the two. my understanding, though, is that for reading and annotating they do not differ significantly.

however, overall, my impression is that iannotate is a more robust program with a lot of features goodreader lacks, such as global searches.

so, why do i stick with goodreader? mainly because it syncs with sugarsync, my backup service. if iannotate provided this option, i would probably switch (or at least consider it). there is nothing wrong with goodreader. i would just enjoy more options :)

j-a-x
Sep 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
I've recently switched to PDF Expert and I am very happy with it so far.

Etonipad
Dec 5, 2011, 12:39 AM
Hello. I just bought an iPad 2 over thanksgiving. I'm also trying to decide which PDF app to use. Thanks for all the info in this thread. All three apps have so much in common. It's easy to get confused.

My question is: Can PDF expert search the whole library? I vaguely remebe4 reading somewhere that iAnnotate can search in the whole library, not just in a single file.

By reading the more recent posts on this thread, it seems like PDF Expert is gaining popularity because it's faster than iAnnotate? But I don't see the need to fill forms that much personally. I'm looking for one app that is good for thesis writing as well. Which one should I choose, iAnnotate or PDF Expert?

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

palpatine
Dec 5, 2011, 02:18 AM
i don't know about thesis writing, because none of these apps is good for writing.

as far as i know, iannotate is the only one with the global search feature. in practice, i have found it weak when searching for asian character strings. english language seems to do a bit better.

as much as i like goodreader, i think iannotate has surpassed it in many ways, and i strongly recommend it over goodreader.

CADer
Dec 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hello. I just bought an iPad 2 over thanksgiving. I'm also trying to decide which PDF app to use. Thanks for all the info in this thread. All three apps have so much in common. It's easy to get confused.

My question is: Can PDF expert search the whole library? I vaguely remebe4 reading somewhere that iAnnotate can search in the whole library, not just in a single file.

By reading the more recent posts on this thread, it seems like PDF Expert is gaining popularity because it's faster than iAnnotate? But I don't see the need to fill forms that much personally. I'm looking for one app that is good for thesis writing as well. Which one should I choose, iAnnotate or PDF Expert?

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

Yes PDF Expert has global search and will referance words in all files and folders on the device.

I second the theis statement, non of these apps are for writing. Hey iPages as right now it has the best format retention compared to quickoffice HD and Documents To Go

I have all these PDF apps, I use PDF Expert for all my PDF needs. Any direct questions I will do my best to answer promptly, or DM me and I can text u on your iPad for free (iMessages)

matt90036
Dec 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
iAnnotate anytime of the day over goodreader. iAnnotate is a specific app selected to do annotation and do it very well. Goodreader is a jack of all trades and not good at all of them. I havent used PDF Expert.

palpatine
Dec 5, 2011, 03:16 PM
Yes PDF Expert has global search and will referance words in all files and folders on the device.

I second the theis statement, non of these apps are for writing. Hey iPages as right now it has the best format retention compared to quickoffice HD and Documents To Go

I have all these PDF apps, I use PDF Expert for all my PDF needs. Any direct questions I will do my best to answer promptly, or DM me and I can text u on your iPad for free (iMessages)

Are you sure about this? PDF Expert apparently can search the name of files (I have never been able to figure this out), but I don't see a way to do a global search of the content.

Etonipad
Dec 5, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wow... Thanks for the quick replies!!! I understand that they are not used for writing. What I meant was to use these apps to help with literature review as part of the thesis writing. :)

This is a great forum, by the way. Thanks again.

palpatine
Dec 6, 2011, 06:52 AM
Wow... Thanks for the quick replies!!! I understand that they are not used for writing. What I meant was to use these apps to help with literature review as part of the thesis writing. :)

This is a great forum, by the way. Thanks again.

hi. if you are doing a lit review, here are some suggestions.

1. get together with some others in your field, divide up the books and articles on your list (presumably, they need to read the important ones too), and scan/collect from jstor, projectmuse, etc. scanning books is a pain, but if you spread that pain out, it will be worth it. see my threads on digitizing stuff for ways to do this.

2. ocr everything you have scanned.

3. follow simple naming conventions: smithjohn1999a

4. use bibliographic software (refworks is online and will work with ipad).

5. hihlight and annotate the pdfs, and then export the information. it helps here to have an evernote account. i name the notes the same as the files and tag them "bibliography". this is so incredibly time saving and enjoyable that it more than makes up for #1 and #2.

6. if you get a premiumevernote account, move those pdfs into it. they are then searchable in one place with access anywhere and it frees up your ipad to hold more.

good luck!

jojoba
Dec 12, 2011, 09:10 AM

I'm a researcher and using both PDF Expert and iAnnotate exactly for this purpose. I find myself using PDF Expert more than iAnnotate because its UI is a bit easier to deal with. I find that both are really good apps, though.

lsquare
Dec 13, 2011, 03:25 AM
Are there any detail reviews out there comparing all of these PDF annotation software?

I'm going to be heading back to school in 2012 and I plan to scan and OCR a lot of documents with the help of Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

Will the annotations from either PDF Expert, iAnnotate, and GoodReader be saved correctly and readable on a computer with Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

Speed and simple UI is very important to me. Also, can any of these software search for words in OCRed PDFs?

palpatine
Dec 13, 2011, 06:49 AM
Are there any detail reviews out there comparing all of these PDF annotation software?

I'm going to be heading back to school in 2012 and I plan to scan and OCR a lot of documents with the help of Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

Will the annotations from either PDF Expert, iAnnotate, and GoodReader be saved correctly and readable on a computer with Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

Speed and simple UI is very important to me. Also, can any of these software search for words in OCRed PDFs?

pdf expert, goodreader, and iannotate are virtually identical in their basic functionality. they all have easy-to-use annotation features. they all save correctly. they are all readable on a computer with adobe acrobat pro.

only iannotate has a global search feature. i have found this seems to work well with english language searches. not so well with asian language ones.

iannotate is by far the most feature-rich of the three. even though i find all three apps to be quite nice, with their own strengths and weaknesses, i prefer to use iannotate these days.

lsquare
Dec 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
pdf expert, goodreader, and iannotate are virtually identical in their basic functionality. they all have easy-to-use annotation features. they all save correctly. they are all readable on a computer with adobe acrobat pro.

only iannotate has a global search feature. i have found this seems to work well with english language searches. not so well with asian language ones.

iannotate is by far the most feature-rich of the three. even though i find all three apps to be quite nice, with their own strengths and weaknesses, i prefer to use iannotate these days.

What do you mean by a global search feature?

palpatine
Dec 13, 2011, 06:19 PM
What do you mean by a global search feature?

search everything at once. in other words, if you have 40 pdfs, instead of taking several minutes searching through them one at a time for something, you can search all of them instantly.

lsquare
Dec 14, 2011, 02:45 AM
search everything at once. in other words, if you have 40 pdfs, instead of taking several minutes searching through them one at a time for something, you can search all of them instantly.

So GoodReader and PDF Expert lacks the ability to search all of the PDFs simultaneously?

Readdlemate
Dec 14, 2011, 08:19 AM
So GoodReader and PDF Expert lacks the ability to search all of the PDFs simultaneously?

Global search for PDF Expert will be added very soon. :)

palpatine
Dec 14, 2011, 10:17 AM

That is good news. I hope that it will work better than iAnnotate's version, because in iAnnotate my searches for Asian characters do not return all of the results that they ought to.

Anyhow, PDF Expert has one of the cleaner user interfaces, and I am especially pleased with the annotation. I use it to comment and grade student essays, and I like the fact that it remembers the color and size of typed text. It is nice not to have to keep resetting that!

lsquare
Dec 14, 2011, 05:55 PM

Will it be a free update?

Can you also confirm that Asian characters will work as well?

----------

That is good news. I hope that it will work better than iAnnotate's version, because in iAnnotate my searches for Asian characters do not return all of the results that they ought to.

Anyhow, PDF Expert has one of the cleaner user interfaces, and I am especially pleased with the annotation. I use it to comment and grade student essays, and I like the fact that it remembers the color and size of typed text. It is nice not to have to keep resetting that!

I'm leaning on PDF Expert now that Global Search is imminent. It is kind of expensive at $10. Do you feel it's providing better value than the competition?

Also, are you using a pen to annotate your notes or you're using your finger?

palpatine
Dec 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
Will it be a free update?

Can you also confirm that Asian characters will work as well?

----------

I'm leaning on PDF Expert now that Global Search is imminent. It is kind of expensive at $10. Do you feel it's providing better value than the competition?

Also, are you using a pen to annotate your notes or you're using your finger?

iannotate provides the most functionality. i think even the pdf expert developers would have to admit that. on the other hand, their interface is clean and easier to use. goodreader syncs with sugarsync (the backup service i use), so that is a plus. they all have their weak and strong points. pdf expert and iannotate can claim better support, i think.

Readdlemate
Dec 15, 2011, 06:21 AM
Yes, our updates are always free.

Well, it is now in testing phase, in theory, even Asian characters should work fine. I will be able to say more soon,

lsquare
Dec 15, 2011, 06:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

[QUOTE=lsquare;14010577]Will it be a free update?

Can you also confirm that Asian characters will work as well?[COLOR="#808080"]

Yes, our updates are always free.

Well, it is now in testing phase, in theory, even Asian characters should work fine. I will be able to say more soon,

Is PDF Expert an universal app? One thing that I hate about GoodReader is that I will have to buy it two versions for my iOS devices.

Readdlemate
Dec 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

[QUOTE=Readdlemate]

Is PDF Expert an universal app? One thing that I hate about GoodReader is that I will have to buy it two versions for my iOS devices.

Isquare, it is not. You see, the problem with making it universal is that they are quite different inside (PDF annotating engine, PDF viewer, signatures, etc). We try to customize each version to get the most from each platform (iPhone and iPad).

lsquare
Dec 17, 2011, 03:17 AM
[QUOTE=lsquare;14012605]Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Isquare, it is not. You see, the problem with making it universal is that they are quite different inside (PDF annotating engine, PDF viewer, signatures, etc). We try to customize each version to get the most from each platform (iPhone and iPad).

So it's $9.99 for the iPhone version and $9.99 for the iPad version? If so, what would you say to prospective buyers who will cite that GoodReader is selling it for $4.99 each version and is competitive with your own product?

awong
Dec 21, 2011, 02:22 PM
1. Would anyone know whether if the global search function on iAnnotate show results of the annotations made?

2. Does iAnnotate recognize handwritten margin notes?

3. I am also curious whether the search function will recognize pdf files that are self created. e.g. on MyScript Notes, Muji Notebook ... these apps are fantastic for taking notes and drawing diagrams, and the texts may not be properly aligned in a textbook fashion (may be slanted, or part of a diagram). These files are eventually saved as pdf files. Can iAnnotate's search function recognize the texts in these files?

iannotate provides the most functionality. i think even the pdf expert developers would have to admit that. on the other hand, their interface is clean and easier to use. goodreader syncs with sugarsync (the backup service i use), so that is a plus. they all have their weak and strong points. pdf expert and iannotate can claim better support, i think.

lsquare
Dec 22, 2011, 05:58 AM

I wonder if iAnnotate and or PDF Expert will have a sale in the near future?

palpatine
Dec 22, 2011, 07:20 AM
1. Would anyone know whether if the global search function on iAnnotate show results of the annotations made?

2. Does iAnnotate recognize handwritten margin notes?

3. I am also curious whether the search function will recognize pdf files that are self created. e.g. on MyScript Notes, Muji Notebook ... these apps are fantastic for taking notes and drawing diagrams, and the texts may not be properly aligned in a textbook fashion (may be slanted, or part of a diagram). These files are eventually saved as pdf files. Can iAnnotate's search function recognize the texts in these files?

i don't know about the annotations in the search results. i haven't tried. i'll test it when i get a chance.

no recognition of handwritten margin notes, as far as i know. that seems unlikely for any pdf program on any device (computer or tablet).

iannotate does not "recognize" text. you need to do ocr (optical character recognition) on scanned material or create a pdf in the proper format out of typewritten text (usually automatic) for the text to be incorporated into the file and therefore readable by iannotate or any other program. search is a basic function available in every one of these apps. global search (requiring the program to index files first in order to do it) is unique to iannotate.

i don't remember ever seeing any sales for iannotate or pdf expert.

lsquare
Feb 7, 2012, 01:55 AM
Does anyone here have any comment about Notability? Apparently it have PDF annotation capabilities. Is it as good as Goodreader or PDF Expert? It's also much cheaper and I can't justify a $10 investment each for both my iPhone and iPad.

jojoba
Feb 7, 2012, 08:26 AM
Does anyone here have any comment about Notability? Apparently it have PDF annotation capabilities. Is it as good as Goodreader or PDF Expert? It's also much cheaper and I can't justify a $10 investment each for both my iPhone and iPad.

I use Notability quite a lot for note taking, and I would say it's primarily that - a note taking app rather than a pdf annotation app. It's a great app, though, and you can do quite basic pdf annotation on it. iAnnotate and PDF Expert have more features, such as underlining, highlighting that 'follows the lines', more navigation features, possibility to add notes, and much more.

In your shoes, if my primary need was pdf annotation I'd buy iAnnotate or PDF Expert and only have it on my iPad, rather than spending money twice on Notability for both iPad and iPhone.

Readdlemate
Feb 7, 2012, 09:05 AM

Exactly, It depends on what you need. PDF Expert gives you much more than just annotations.. Page management, forms support, signatures, cloud storages 2 way sync, etc etc

CADer
Feb 7, 2012, 09:06 AM

Notability is not a true PDF annotation tool. It just marks over top, no form fill and no detection of text in the PDF. I use Notability for my notes and PDF EXPERT for all things PDF.

But with the introduction of REMARKS for iPad (made by Readdle same as PDF expert) I will be switch to that application as it is a true annotation tool and also does notes. I will be waiting till it updates with Dropbox support as like PDF Expert I will be able to edit the PDF were it lies in Dropbox and not have to import it into Notability as a different format and then back it up again to Dropbox. With PDF Expert, and 10-14 days Remarks, I will be able to save PDFs in my school Dropbox folder and edit them from that same spot without an import and export, reducing file redundancy and making my notes viewable from work PC and my home Mac. Not sure if the above makes sense to anyone but notability will back up my notes as PDF, or other formats but not to different folders so all classes get backed up to a different spot than where I have the original PDFs, PDF Expert and Remarks will sad over the original file with the added, and editable, annotations.

lsquare
Feb 8, 2012, 03:23 AM
Notability is not a true PDF annotation tool. It just marks over top, no form fill and no detection of text in the PDF. I use Notability for my notes and PDF EXPERT for all things PDF.

But with the introduction of REMARKS for iPad (made by Readdle same as PDF expert) I will be switch to that application as it is a true annotation tool and also does notes. I will be waiting till it updates with Dropbox support as like PDF Expert I will be able to edit the PDF were it lies in Dropbox and not have to import it into Notability as a different format and then back it up again to Dropbox. With PDF Expert, and 10-14 days Remarks, I will be able to save PDFs in my school Dropbox folder and edit them from that same spot without an import and export, reducing file redundancy and making my notes viewable from work PC and my home Mac. Not sure if the above makes sense to anyone but notability will back up my notes as PDF, or other formats but not to different folders so all classes get backed up to a different spot than where I have the original PDFs, PDF Expert and Remarks will sad over the original file with the added, and editable, annotations.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. What's the point of getting PDF Expert if Remarks does the same thing? Or you're suggesting to get both programs?

Readdlemate
Feb 8, 2012, 05:54 AM
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. What's the point of getting PDF Expert if Remarks does the same thing? Or you're suggesting to get both programs?

Isquare, PDF Expert and Remarks are essentially different and can be used together. Well, I use them together. I blogged here why: http://readdle.com/blog/?p=1263

CADer
Feb 8, 2012, 10:20 AM

They are very similar at the roots. I just bought Remarks yesterday and have been using it in all my classes.

PDF Expert so far has one key feature that Remarks does not and that is the ability to fill in the forms that are formatted with the blanks, not sure what that is called but it is a great feature when needed...oh and PDF Expert has stamps.

Remarks is very new and need some polishing in my opinion, more color options and more shapes, like a fill color for the shape. Add stamps or other icons. give it the ability to fill forms like Expert has. and of course a Dropbox sync, preferably a bit more automatic that Expert

PDF Expert can do everything that Remarks can do,except create new documents (just keep a plank pdf as a template and that fixes it), Remarks can do some of the note taking things slightly easier. Like handwriting has a better interface a features in remarks.

It is my hopes that Remarks improves in the few small areas it lacks as it does have abetter looking interface.

At this point if you need real 100% pdf - adobe pro features get PDF Expert. But if you want the better handwriting options to also take notes get Remarks.

Dar-soft
Mar 6, 2012, 03:56 AM
PDF Forms (http://www.dar-soft.com/index.php/products/pdf-forms) application is a new great app for filling in PDF forms, annotating and commenting on PDF documents. The HUGE plus is that the application is very simple to use. It also allows you to organize your files in folders and the file manager is extremely convenient. Oh, and the Dropbox support is also there. And it's cheaper than PDF Expert and iAnnotate.

http://www.dar-soft.com/images/product_icons/pdf_forms_100.png (http://www.dar-soft.com/?appstoreredir=pdfquicksign)

jackc
Mar 10, 2012, 04:38 AM
Still researching the pdf apps, it's good that it's very competitive, but tough to decide (particularly without trials)

pkson
Mar 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
From a whole different perspective, why not give uPad a try?
It's supposed to be a note taking app, but it annotates PDFs better than any other competitior. If you really need annotations, upad is pretty awesome.

cyklops
Apr 1, 2012, 11:15 AM
I have one feature i would use alot and that is highlight PDFs and would like to know which on has the best UI and workflow for making super fast highlights and been able to have a summary file of all the highlights, Maybe highlight summary export or something

So which one has the best workflow for making highlights and making summaries of the highlights ?

palpatine
Apr 1, 2012, 01:11 PM
I have one feature i would use alot and that is highlight PDFs and would like to know which on has the best UI and workflow for making super fast highlights and been able to have a summary file of all the highlights, Maybe highlight summary export or something

So which one has the best workflow for making highlights and making summaries of the highlights ?

iannotate. i like goodreader a lot, but in just about every way, iannotate is better.

Readdlemate
Apr 3, 2012, 07:49 AM
PDF Expert for iPad (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8) has just been updated to version 4.0.

The update is free and we hope you will enjoy it, guys.
Your feedback is appreciated!

http://support.readdle.com/images/upload/PDFexpert-ad-banner-2-480x360-1.png

CADer
Apr 3, 2012, 01:16 PM

PDF Expert does all that you are looking for. The only drawback I see in PDF Expert is that to change colors it takes another step, not a huge deal but not real intuitive.

PDF Expert has a simple. Interface for the highlights and sending or saving the highlight/underline/strike through summary

palpatine
Apr 3, 2012, 03:27 PM
i think iannotate has the most features, and i highly recommend it. in my informal tests it is also the fastest to render pages, in some cases more than twice as fast as pdf expert.

but, pdf expert is a solid product with enough features to meet most needs. goodreader is quite nice as well, and even though the interface could use some updating, it is straightforward and dependable :)

compared to the android marketplace, where there is pretty much only one solid app (i have tried most of the major ones), we are lucky to have so many great ones available to us.

CADer
Apr 3, 2012, 03:42 PM
i think iannotate has the most features, and i highly recommend it. in my informal tests it is also the fastest to render pages, in some cases more than twice as fast as pdf expert.

but, pdf expert is a solid product with enough features to meet most needs. goodreader is quite nice as well, and even though the interface could use some updating, it is straightforward and dependable :)

compared to the android marketplace, where there is pretty much only one solid app (i have tried most of the major ones), we are lucky to have so many great ones available to us.

That's funny I haven't tried iAnnotate recently but i have followed its updated and such and I feel like it has the ugliest interface of the three. And right now I use PDF Expert for everything and have some graphic intense PDF and I never see even a slight hesitation on page rendering. Are you using and iPad 1, 2, or 'new'? I use a 2 and no hesitation at all. But like I said PDF Expert has some UI shortcomings.

palpatine
Apr 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
That's funny I haven't tried iAnnotate recently but i have followed its updated and such and I feel like it has the ugliest interface of the three. And right now I use PDF Expert for everything and have some graphic intense PDF and I never see even a slight hesitation on page rendering. Are you using and iPad 1, 2, or 'new'? I use a 2 and no hesitation at all. But like I said PDF Expert has some UI shortcomings.

i annotate used to have a pretty ungainly interface, but it is much improved. the reading interface is superior to the others, in my opinion, but the library screen is a little difficult to navigate.

pdf expert is nice, but i am surprised to hear you say there is not hesitation on page rendering. all of my pdfs, from small files to large ones of scanned art books have some hesitation. in many cases it takes several seconds for a page to render. the same was true on the ipad 2 and now on the ipad 3.

i should say that page renders are faster than android products, and definitely faster than some other products that can take as long as a minute or so to render (yikes!).

CADer
Apr 3, 2012, 05:59 PM
i annotate used to have a pretty ungainly interface, but it is much improved. the reading interface is superior to the others, in my opinion, but the library screen is a little difficult to navigate.

pdf expert is nice, but i am surprised to hear you say there is not hesitation on page rendering. all of my pdfs, from small files to large ones of scanned art books have some hesitation. in many cases it takes several seconds for a page to render. the same was true on the ipad 2 and now on the ipad 3.

i should say that page renders are faster than android products, and definitely faster than some other products that can take as long as a minute or so to render (yikes!).

Just did some timing of a 543 page college text book and it took just under 4 seconds. I guess maybe I figure since my computer can't even open it that fast it was slow at all. All other file safe under 2 seconds from the Time of tap to viewing the text. Of course my textbooks and all my files have a bunch of high listing and underline ing so maybe that adds to tit, either way I wouldn't call it slow at all. I have wanted to buy iAnnotate to give it a try but just not worth it right now.

I have started an excel spreadsheet of the features each app has compared to the rest but with a full time job and 12 credits and 3 kids it isn't getting done fast enough.

Can I ask you one thing, how does the Dropbox integration for iAnnotate work?

jackc
Apr 3, 2012, 06:21 PM

I've also found some hesitation on pdf expert, but I haven't compared it to other apps. Otherwise, I think it's very good.

palpatine
Apr 3, 2012, 06:33 PM
Just did some timing of a 543 page college text book and it took just under 4 seconds. I guess maybe I figure since my computer can't even open it that fast it was slow at all. All other file safe under 2 seconds from the Time of tap to viewing the text. Of course my textbooks and all my files have a bunch of high listing and underline ing so maybe that adds to tit, either way I wouldn't call it slow at all. I have wanted to buy iAnnotate to give it a try but just not worth it right now.

I have started an excel spreadsheet of the features each app has compared to the rest but with a full time job and 12 credits and 3 kids it isn't getting done fast enough.

Can I ask you one thing, how does the Dropbox integration for iAnnotate work?

Hi. I don't mean the initial display. I expect that to be a bit slow. Page turns are slow. Slide over to page 150. It should take a couple of seconds to render. iAnnotate seems to handle these hesitations better. They're both fast, but in my informal tests, iAnnotate is faster.

Dropbox integration is fine in iAnnotate. Personally, I think it is a little easier with GoodReader, because (as I recall) it automatically includes new additions into Goodreader while I have to select the files to input into iAnnotate each time I put something new into my Dropbox folder. It's no big deal to me, but it could be to others.

richpjr
Apr 4, 2012, 01:25 AM
Do any of these apps access iCloud storage?

palpatine
Apr 4, 2012, 08:00 AM

good question. as far as i know, goodreader is the only one that will access icloud.

Readdlemate
Apr 4, 2012, 08:23 AM

We are working on iCloud integration right now.

richpjr
Apr 4, 2012, 10:18 AM
We are working on iCloud integration right now.

That is good to know - it would make your app that much more appealing.

jace88
Apr 26, 2012, 01:53 AM
great thread guys. Would any of you have any comments/recommendations re: annotating with a stylus and the above mentioned apps?

Also, I was reading http://www.tcgeeks.com/best-ipad-pdf-markup-apps/ and it mentioned that the key advantage of iAnnotate is the ability to save the edits into the native PDF format so it can be read on normal PDF readers (e.g. Acrobat Reader, Preview). Is this not the case for GoodReader edits?

Readdlemate
Apr 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
great thread guys. Would any of you have any comments/recommendations re: annotating with a stylus and the above mentioned apps?

Also, I was reading http://www.tcgeeks.com/best-ipad-pdf-markup-apps/ and it mentioned that the key advantage of iAnnotate is the ability to save the edits into the native PDF format so it can be read on normal PDF readers (e.g. Acrobat Reader, Preview). Is this not the case for GoodReader edits?

PDF Expert will save all your annotation, so you will be able to view them in Acrobat reader and Preview.

quentinsf
Apr 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
What a great thread! Many thanks, all...

I was reading a detailed comparison review here (http://cynicalbabblings.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/pdf-editing-apps-2012-review/#) and it seemed to suggest that only GoodReader will let you zoom in while making hand-written notes.

Is that really the case? I do this all the time and would really miss it: zoom in, insert some proof-reading markup and write the odd word or two, then zoom out.

Or is the author referring to the ability to write in a magnified window while viewing the overall document? That's less important to me: certainly the absence of it wouldn't stop me trying iAnnotate or PDF Expert.

epicmar
Apr 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
What a great thread! Many thanks, all...

I was reading a detailed comparison review here (http://cynicalbabblings.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/pdf-editing-apps-2012-review/#) and it seemed to suggest that only GoodReader will let you zoom in while making hand-written notes.

Is that really the case? I do this all the time and would really miss it: zoom in, insert some proof-reading markup and write the odd word or two, then zoom out.

Or is the author referring to the ability to write in a magnified window while viewing the overall document? That's less important to me: certainly the absence of it wouldn't stop me trying iAnnotate or PDF Expert.

Yes, GoodReader appears to be the only app of this type that has a magnified window, like most notetaking apps. Others, like iAnnotate let you pinch to zoom, handwrite, then unzoom.

itcomic
Apr 30, 2012, 02:37 AM
PDF Expert will save all your annotation, so you will be able to view them in Acrobat reader and Preview.

Hi , after reading all 5 pages on this thread, I believe you have connection with PDF expert developers and I would like to make a suggestion.

Please consider adding FOLDER PASSWORD PROTECTION to your apps. I have tried your apps on my friend's iPad and I love the interface design. I know that your apps offer master password that protect all files. However, it is inconvinent to type the password to access any content every time or the confidential information will not be protected. I like to put and organize all documents in one apps and I am still hesitate to get PDF Expert due to lack of individual folder password protection. My family often use my iPad (I only use my iPad at work and pass my gadget to my family for their entertainment use) but I don't want to take the risk.

Thank you for your consideration.

jace88
May 13, 2012, 06:04 AM
Agreed- the corporate market requires some form of encryption or password protection for specific files. Better yet if it could be integrated with Good for Enterprise!

Feral1
May 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
I am in construction and need a pdf editor that can help mark up contract plans to show as-built conditions. Need to "cloud" the change (draw connected half circular shapes to denote the changed item). Need tools to mark up the plans to show changes made in the field.

The one item that I must have and can't figure out if any of these editors have is the ability to extract a single page from a multipage pdf and save it as a new pdf. It would also be nice to be able to insert pages from another pdf into the document.

Readdlemate
May 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
I am in construction and need a pdf editor that can help mark up contract plans to show as-built conditions. Need to "cloud" the change (draw connected half circular shapes to denote the changed item). Need tools to mark up the plans to show changes made in the field.

The one item that I must have and can't figure out if any of these editors have is the ability to extract a single page from a multipage pdf and save it as a new pdf. It would also be nice to be able to insert pages from another pdf into the document.

PDF Expert allows you to extract pages (1 or multiple) from a PDF, creating a new file. You can also add a blank page in the document for your own notes and drawings.

mickeydean
May 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
Is there a promo for pdfexpert?

tutortech
Jun 2, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hi. I need a way to annotate so that I can copy individual notes to the clipboard to paste in other essays. My students make similar mistakes, so retyping the same feedback is inefficient.

On my work computer I use 'track changes' to write feedback in comment 'balloons' in the margin of an essay. I then copy each comment that I am likely to need again to the clipboard, to paste as needed in other essays .

Will either of these three programs allow me to do this on the iPad?

epicmar
Jun 2, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hi. I need a way to annotate so that I can copy individual notes to the clipboard to paste in other essays. My students make similar mistakes, so retyping the same feedback is inefficient.

On my work computer I use 'track changes' to write feedback in comment 'balloons' in the margin of an essay. I then copy each comment that I am likely to need again to the clipboard, to paste as needed in other essays .

Will either of these three programs allow me to do this on the iPad?

With iAnnotate you can create custom stamps that contain your standard comments and then select the stamp tool in any file and choose which stamp to apply. Unfortunately, it puts your comment on top of the underlying text (unless you format the stamp to be very narrow and you have wide margins. Otherwise, it simply holds text that you have selected and copied for pasting in the clipboard until you copy something else. Then you can add bubble type notes and paste your comment text from the clipboard which is maintained as you move from file to file.

pdfmax
Aug 8, 2012, 11:19 AM
If you want something that combines iAnnotate + GoodReader, let try PDF Max (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-max-annotate-sync-pdfs/id540572073?ls=1&mt=8) :cool:

jonwong
Sep 2, 2012, 07:44 AM
I've also found some hesitation on pdf expert, but I haven't compared it to other apps. Otherwise, I think it's very good.
Is the hesitation 3 seconds thereabouts? It's 3 seconds thereabouts on GoodReader for a scanned page (a single big image). But for text and pictures (not scanned images), GoodReader is instant in reading.

Also, this is a crucial question for people annotating scanned pages (esp CADer in college)...

Does iAnnotate or PDF Expert read MRC compressed PDF files?

FineReader does fantastic MRC compressed PDF files.

What is MRC compression? 100 times filesize compression for scanned pages, while retaining image quality. A typical scanned page is 2MB, and FineReader's MRC compression bumps it down to 0.02MB with no perceptible degradation in image quality.

Without MRC compression, FineReader only does 20 times filesize compression. Not a big deal if you buy 64GB iPad, though, but it's still odd that GoodReader doesn't support this when the humble Acrobat Reader does.

So, for anyone who is actively using FineReader... DO NOT buy GoodReader like I did! Don't buy it yet, until we confirm that all competitors also do not read MRC compressed PDFs.

jonwong
Sep 2, 2012, 08:05 AM
Yes, GoodReader appears to be the only app of this type that has a magnified window, like most notetaking apps. Others, like iAnnotate let you pinch to zoom, handwrite, then unzoom.
You just made me regret buying Note Taker HD.

Now, if only GoodReader will read MRC compressed PDF files, I will stop regretting my purchase of it.

jonwong
Sep 2, 2012, 09:48 AM
Also, this is a crucial question for people annotating scanned pages (esp CADer in college)...

Does iAnnotate or PDF Expert read MRC compressed PDF files?

FineReader does fantastic MRC compressed PDF files.

What is MRC compression? 100 times filesize compression for scanned pages, while retaining image quality. A typical scanned page is 2MB, and FineReader's MRC compression bumps it down to 0.02MB with no perceptible degradation in image quality.

Without MRC compression, FineReader only does 20 times filesize compression. Not a big deal if you buy 64GB iPad, though, but it's still odd that GoodReader doesn't support this when the humble Acrobat Reader does.

So, for anyone who is actively using FineReader... DO NOT buy GoodReader like I did! Don't buy it yet, until we confirm that all competitors also do not read MRC compressed PDFs.
It's confirmed by Readdle: PDF Expert also does not read MRC compressed PDFs.

That means GoodReader is still the most viable economical option!

I'll be purchasing more copies of GoodReader in 8 hours' time, if Readdle does not respond to say they intend to support MRC compressed PDFs. I just asked them that question over email.

Oh well. So much for FineReader's ultimate MRC compression advantage. Scanned books could be read at near-original (99%) visual quality, and still be 7-24MB (300-1000 pages per book).

Readdlemate
Sep 3, 2012, 08:42 AM
It's confirmed by Readdle: PDF Expert also does not read MRC compressed PDFs.

That means GoodReader is still the most viable economical option!

I'll be purchasing more copies of GoodReader in 8 hours' time, if Readdle does not respond to say they intend to support MRC compressed PDFs. I just asked them that question over email.

Oh well. So much for FineReader's ultimate MRC compression advantage. Scanned books could be read at near-original (99%) visual quality, and still be 7-24MB (300-1000 pages per book).

PDF Expert will read those MRC. We are going to add that in the future update.

jonwong
Sep 3, 2012, 03:26 PM
PDF Expert will read those MRC. We are going to add that in the future update.

Oh, I already bought more copies of GoodReader!

Then the question now is when (or if) you'll be supporting the handwritten annotation feature seen in GoodReader.

FYI, that feature is even better than Note Taker HD. Why? Because you can adjust the height of the "wrist guard" by pulling it up (or down, to reduce). The ability to write in a separate zoomed window let's users:

Create very fine and accurate handwriting
Yet, not lose sight of the big picture

Or are you providing all that in Remarks?

About your supporting MRC compressed PDFs, I understand you'll have to rewrite your own PDF viewer rather than use Apple's built-in API. That seems like a lot of work; not sure if GoodReader folks will wanna build that in. It appears that PDF Expert remains the rolls royce of PDF viewer/manager/annotater apps. In time, after thoroughly learning GoodReader, I could be more equipped to do a thorough review of PDF Expert or Remarks, provided you have a free/lite version, that is. :)

Is this your official forum?

Are you on another forum such as here (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/88449-goodreader-drops-ball-finereaders-fantastic-mrc.html)?

Lastly, if it more difficult to build In-App-Purchase features than to build a new app? Is that why Remarks was built, rather than add IAP features to PDF Expert? I don't mind either mechanism, since I believe Remarks and PDF Expert will work together seamlessly anyway.

You might wanna build support for MRC compressed PDFs into an IAP.

Readdlemate
Sep 4, 2012, 10:48 AM
Oh, I already bought more copies of GoodReader!

Then the question now is when (or if) you'll be supporting the handwritten annotation feature seen in GoodReader.

FYI, that feature is even better than Note Taker HD. Why? Because you can adjust the height of the "wrist guard" by pulling it up (or down, to reduce). The ability to write in a separate zoomed window let's users:

Create very fine and accurate handwriting
Yet, not lose sight of the big picture

Or are you providing all that in Remarks?

About your supporting MRC compressed PDFs, I understand you'll have to rewrite your own PDF viewer rather than use Apple's built-in API. That seems like a lot of work; not sure if GoodReader folks will wanna build that in. It appears that PDF Expert remains the rolls royce of PDF viewer/manager/annotater apps. In time, after thoroughly learning GoodReader, I could be more equipped to do a thorough review of PDF Expert or Remarks, provided you have a free/lite version, that is. :)

Is this your official forum?

Are you on another forum such as here (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/88449-goodreader-drops-ball-finereaders-fantastic-mrc.html)?

Lastly, if it more difficult to build In-App-Purchase features than to build a new app? Is that why Remarks was built, rather than add IAP features to PDF Expert? I don't mind either mechanism, since I believe Remarks and PDF Expert will work together seamlessly anyway.

You might wanna build support for MRC compressed PDFs into an IAP.

We have that feature in Remarks. PDF Expert users rarely need it.
Have you tried Remarks?

We will gladly provide you a code for Remarks or PDF Expert for a review, because we are confident about your verdict :)

At the moment, our business model is pretty simple - people pay for a great productivity app. They are sure that it will be updates and improved all the time. FYI, PDF Expert and Remarks are completely different and should be used for different reasons. But yes, some features may overlap, but they have nothing to do with the big picture and use cases.

I will have a look at the forum.

Best,
Den

tsuma
Sep 5, 2012, 10:23 AM
Plesae answer here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15589294

lsquare
Oct 10, 2012, 02:39 AM
Does anyone here know if PDF Expert will support the Pogo Connect Stylus? Seems like only PDFpen is the only productivity app that will support the app. I've bought Remarks and PDF Expert and the last thing that I want is to buy another PDF app. Will Readdle add support for that stylus?