PDA

View Full Version : Apple lowers prices on its line of keyboards and mice

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 12:36 AM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple lowers prices on its line of keyboards and mice (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113013653)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 01:03 AM
Weird timing, but cool!

Wired mouse or keyboard
Was: $39? (article doesn't mention)
Now: $29
So for both, now $58
(I remember when they were $69 each!)

Bluetooth mouse or keyboard
Was: $69
Now: $59
But even lower with a Mac Mini: $99 for both
(still need Bluetooth option too: $50)

EDIT - Education prices:

Wired: now $26 each
Bluetooth: now $53 each

BUT on the BTO Mac Mini screen (the only prices I checked yesterday), I see no change yet! In fact, they're the same as the non-edu prices now are:

Wired set: $58 (more than 2x$26!)
Bluetooth set: $99 (OK, but same as yesterday--and same as non-edu)

Mistake? Education data in transition?

iJaz
Jan 13, 2005, 02:11 AM
Makes sense, now bring us a cheap monitor to buy with the Mac mini. Why not have a pro monitor line and a consumer monitor line?

cwedl
Jan 13, 2005, 02:56 AM
Makes sense, now bring us a cheap monitor to buy with the Mac mini. Why not have a pro monitor line and a consumer monitor line?

Exactly I would'nt mine spending 250 - 350 on a 17" monitor but I'm not spending 599 on a monitor.

24C
Jan 13, 2005, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't mind a cheap 17" from Apple either, but I'm not really the target audience for the product. AFAIK, this is a toe in the water for the Windows using folks, using up some of their bits of kit in the process or sourcing cheapo stuff from their neck of the woods. If I was to start adding Apple keyboards,mice etc I would be getting better value with another Apple product, say an eMac...but it wouldn't look as nice :-) There are always Formac or LG screens at nice prices and fair specs

As we have quite a few Macs in the house, I would use one of these only to replace the oldest model and in the process reduce my expenditure. In the UK a Mac mini is a viable alternative to a secondhand mac.

BTW The Mac mini keyboard mouse prices haven't dropped in the UK store since I last looked.

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 03:57 AM
Maybe if the Mac Mini "takes off" Apple will start offering lower-end displays... maybe even 2-button mice?

I can see that if the Mini never took off, making lower-end displays would be largely a waste. Some PowerBook/PowerMac owners would buy a small LCD, but not many. So maybe Apple's just being cautious?

I don't know, it's weird.

I think they could sell a ton of 15.2" 1280x854 widescreen displays with USB hubs but no firewire. Far below the 20" model, yet still Apple quality--better than your average 15" 1024x768 without hub.

17" too maybe, but the Mini's aimed at the low-end.

macridah
Jan 13, 2005, 06:50 AM

Agree. I hope the HD LCD will come down in price soon.

I ordered a mac mini and thought i would use an extra black keyboard/mouse laying around .... then i thought i would be losing the apple experience. I guess apple found another way to buy more of their high margin goods.

webplummer
Jan 13, 2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe if the Mac Mini "takes off" Apple will start offering lower-end displays... maybe even 2-button mice?

The 2-button mouse doesn't matter anymore. Apple has responded to a receptive PC crowd eager to augment their home setup with a cheap Mac. These people have a mouse that they like already, and for those of a multi-computer mindset, many probably have two mice hanging around anyway.

People need to get off the 2-button mouse thing and stop harping on it. Apple just made the most important home computer announcement in years and the Slashdot thread about it has like 500 posts about the freaking mouse. I can't believe we have to go through this discussion every time a Mac announcement happens. The way people react to Apple's computers, I'm surprised there aren't more people bitching about the number of buttons on the iPod as well.

Bendit
Jan 13, 2005, 09:22 AM
The 2-button mouse doesn't matter anymore. Apple has responded to a receptive PC crowd eager to augment their home setup with a cheap Mac. These people have a mouse that they like already, and for those of a multi-computer mindset, many probably have two mice hanging around anyway.

People need to get off the 2-button mouse thing and stop harping on it. Apple just made the most important home computer announcement in years and the Slashdot thread about it has like 500 posts about the freaking mouse. I can't believe we have to go through this discussion every time a Mac announcement happens. The way people react to Apple's computers, I'm surprised there aren't more people bitching about the number of buttons on the iPod as well.

Believe me, the one button thing turns off a lot of people. Everyone who I show my POWERBOOK (stuck with one button on the unit) notes that there's no second button and how it must be ****. Of course it works well with only one but people don't know that. And I wish it had two buttons two. Many things rely on the right click and control-clicking is really annoying.

ZildjianKX
Jan 13, 2005, 10:02 AM
At macworld in SF this year Adobe was really harping on Macs for having one mouse button in their Photoshop CS demo. In the demo the presenter was like "And if you use your second mouse button... you know they make mice with two buttons right? Some even come with scroll wheels... you should really try them, they're great."

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 12:53 PM
I am using a one-button mouse this very moment, with a 5-button scroll mouse sitting unused, except for gaming mainly.

But SOME people want a 2-button mouse, and many of them are Windows switchers. So I simply said that along with making some money off the display, Apple might, in future, offer a 2-button mouse to that crowd.

That's not such a radical speculation, I don't think, and it's not an attack.

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 03:33 PM
Apple certainly did dodge the complaints of "one-button mouse" with the Mini... I haven't heard one PEEP about that particular issue from Mini doubters :)

My Windows friends ARE thrown off my the one-button (well, no-button) mouse... they don't dislike it, but they do wonder how you use the computer :) Imagine their surprise to learn that vital functions are not hidden in context menus on a Mac... it's just for shortcuts!

BTW, on the edu store, it still costs more ($58) to get a wired mouse and keyboard BTO with a Mini than it does ($52) to get them separately. And with a Mini, all mice and keyboards still cost the same as non-edu pricing.

Oh, well, they've got a week before the orders ship to figure it out.

cluthz
Jan 13, 2005, 05:45 PM
Its about time the keyboard prices dropped. The new keyboards are utterly crap.
I've totally worn out my 5 month old keyboard (got it with my powerbook in august)!
I used the same keyboard (apple extended II) from 1989 (came with Mac SE) untill I got my G4 in 2000. The G4 keyboard lasted 2 years.

I might get a ice-key or a mathias soon. I wonder how long my iMac G5 (nov 04) keyboard will last..

G4-power
Jan 14, 2005, 07:05 AM
I am using a one-button mouse this very moment, with a 5-button scroll mouse sitting unused, except for gaming mainly.

But SOME people want a 2-button mouse, and many of them are Windows switchers. So I simply said that along with making some money off the display, Apple might, in future, offer a 2-button mouse to that crowd..

Quite true, quite true. I use a Logitech MX510 now, a two-button+scroll-wheel nor an one-button mouse was enough for me. :) But still, even though I like having many buttons on the mouse, it's about simplicity and elegance on Apple products.
Apple probably wants to keep it simple, but switchers probably don't understand that they don't always need the extra buttons. A scroll-wheel on an Apple mouse would be ok too, but it'd probably ruin the simplicity. And low-end users probably don't need it so much. We ditched the Apple mouse for a Logitech scroll-wheel one 4 years ago and my mom has not yet learned to use a scroll-wheel.

This might be a difficult situation for Apple, to choose between making a multi-button mouse (w/ or w/o scroll-wheel) or to keep the simplicity and elegance (one-button mice look cool), and yeah, Apple mice are "a legend".

Anyway, people can still buy great mice from Kensington, Logitech etc. if they need more buttons than what Apple can offer. Another question is that should they put another button to accompany the touchpad on 'Books.

wdlove
Jan 14, 2005, 11:45 AM
A price decrease is always nice. It looks like there is now less chance for an update to the keyboard and mouse. Usual practice would have been to give us more at the same price. At that price getting an iSkin would not make as much sense.

3Memos
Jan 14, 2005, 12:06 PM
My favorite keyboards were from the G4, where the USB ports were on the side and could adjust the height of the keyboards.

These new white keyboards are ok, although they added an extra F13 key, which made all the other F keys bunched together, which makes it hard to feel by touch. I suppose they simplified the keyboard layout so it's cheaper to produce, although it sort of smells like those old hockey puck mouse.

G4-power
Jan 15, 2005, 12:34 PM
My favorite keyboards were from the G4, where the USB ports were on the side and could adjust the height of the keyboards.

These new white keyboards are ok, although they added an extra F13 key, which made all the other F keys bunched together, which makes it hard to feel by touch. I suppose they simplified the keyboard layout so it's cheaper to produce, although it sort of smells like those old hockey puck mouse.

Yeah, I'd agree. Our original G4 (AGP)'s mouse and keyboard sucked, the mouse was small (and not optical) and the keyboard too, the arrow keys were small. So we got a white Apple Pro Keyboard, the one that Quicksilver's and MDD's had, and it's great. Better than the new keyboard, that I've tried in Apple retail shops.

billyboy
Jan 16, 2005, 08:06 AM
Another question is that should they put another button to accompany the touchpad on 'Books.

With Sidetrack installed, a Powerbook trackpad and mouse is unbeatable for navigating, and still you get to keep the clean uncluttered design. I suppose users need to think usability isnt compromised by less buttons if you have slick software - just look at iPods!

Littleodie914
Jan 16, 2005, 09:10 AM
Well, it's nice to hear the price drop. I still think they're a bit high for me... Another $10 off, and I'll have myself a wireless mouse and keyboard! :rolleyes:

G4-power
Jan 17, 2005, 05:08 AM
With Sidetrack installed, a Powerbook trackpad and mouse is unbeatable for navigating, and still you get to keep the clean uncluttered design. I suppose users need to think usability isnt compromised by less buttons if you have slick software - just look at iPods!

Yeah that's true. That's what I like at Apple. Everything is easy and simple, but not limited.