PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Mac commentators Thurott and Dvorak both love the Mac M...

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 12:37 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Anti-Mac commentators Thurott and Dvorak both love the Mac Mini (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113013737)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Trowaman
Jan 13, 2005, 01:18 AM
HOLY ****!!!!!! Dvorak likes it!!!! The thing already hs a backorder and the most prominent anti-mac guy on the planet loves it. I just showed a picture of it to some friends of mine and they actually said they have a strong chance of buying this baby. Thank you Apple!!!

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 01:27 AM
Two down, at least one to go. We await Rob Enderle's Mac mini pronouncements with bated breath.

LOL. :D

solvs
Jan 13, 2005, 01:33 AM
And yet some Mac lovers like Bill Palmer don't like it. The world has gone mad.

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 01:36 AM
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

iJaz
Jan 13, 2005, 01:40 AM

Yes, just look at Thurrott's grades on the MWSF keynote announcements! :eek:

Nermal
Jan 13, 2005, 01:44 AM
Courtesy of The Joy of Tech (http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/) :)

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 01:51 AM
Jason O'Grady of PowerPage.org hates both the Mac Mini and the iPod Shuffle (http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=13891):

"I am extremely underwhelmed and disappointed."

:o

And in an even more disturbing reversal of the natural order, Apple just released two products that most Mac forum-goers like!

Come on, a few people hate them, but I expect more! Look at the positive ratings... Normally (iMac G3, iMac G4, iMac G5, iPod, touch-sensitive iPod, clickwheel iPod, iPod Mini, iPod Photo, PowerMac G5, iSight, Mac OS X, etc....) there would be a mass protest of how stupid Apple is and how their latest product is doomed to fail (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500) :) ...just prior to those products taking off.

So... does this mean that despite Wednesday's results, Apple will be bankrupt and wholly owned by Amiga within a year? What sanity can we cling to?

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 01:56 AM

"Dvorak the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Mac mini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Thurott supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Convert! Many MacAddicts and PC Users knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Convert that day, I can tell you!"

Chaszmyr
Jan 13, 2005, 02:12 AM
Normally (iMac G3, iMac G4, iMac G5, iPod, touch-sensitive iPod, clickwheel iPod, iPod Mini, iPod Photo, PowerMac G5, iSight, Mac OS X, etc....) there would be a mass protest of how stupid Apple is and how their latest product is doomed to fail (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500) :)

Maybe people are just starting to learn that even though Steve Jobs and Co aren't perfect, they're right far more than they're wrong.

lduncan
Jan 13, 2005, 03:19 AM
I'm still trying to figure out if he is joking or actually serious!

mac15
Jan 13, 2005, 04:08 AM
Is it me or Thurrots article sounds incredibly sarcastic? Anyhow he posted on the web and there is no going back now :)

AmigoMac
Jan 13, 2005, 04:29 AM
Courtesy of The Joy of Tech (http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/) :)

That's a funny one...

gekko513
Jan 13, 2005, 06:02 AM
Did someone hack his website??

Sun Baked
Jan 13, 2005, 06:14 AM
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!Best evidence by far that their doom and gloom predictions about Apple are about to come true.

Can you say? "Apple Computer a subsidiary of Gateway"

Macmaniac
Jan 13, 2005, 06:25 AM
The Joy of Tech had me laughing really hard:) Someone must have hacked their sites, although John is a former Mac man so something must have stirred his sleeping monster.

the_mole1314
Jan 13, 2005, 08:01 AM
Thurrot likes an Apple product! HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!

*cries*

This is it guys, my whole school has or is getting iPods, they are looking at Macs for iMovie, wow, it's here, the revolution has hit it's stride.

macFanDave
Jan 13, 2005, 08:04 AM
is awesome! He has gained the favor (at least temporarily) of two of the most irrational, pig-headed, FUD-loving, anti-Mac bigots in the tech "journalism" world.

Once some of the naysayers, which not so surprisingly are usually friends of the Mac, realize that the target audience of the Mac mini either already possesses monitors, keyboards and mice, will get a KVM switch or actually appreciates the freedom to choose exactly which of these things are best for them, they will come around.

I predict Apple is going to sell so many of them, the critics will be shut up the right way. You don't hear anybody complaining about the iPod mini anymore, do you?

By the way, if you listened to the conference call yesterday, you would have heard that Peter Oppenheimer said that the margin on the Mac mini is approximately the same as it is on the eMac. Thus, the objections that a low-end Mac would have razor-thin margins are debunked and Apple can go forward into new markets.

JeffTL
Jan 13, 2005, 08:23 AM
Thurott?

THUROTT likes the Mac mini? This man is the Mossberg of Microsoft, the Windows Warrior. I guess it's just such a good product that he can't think of much bad to say about it -- it doesn't come with a one-button mouse.

katanna
Jan 13, 2005, 09:04 AM
I still think that the Mac Mini is more intended for those already with a computer, so you don't need a moniter and keyboard/mouse.

That brings down the cost considerably!

Matthew

munkle
Jan 13, 2005, 11:11 AM
Don't be fooled people. This is an obvious ploy on Thurrot's part to generate more hits...people were obviously getting wise to his Mac bashing ways and no longer fed the troll with web hits, he got desperate and thought this was the best way to garner some attention.

Don't worry normal service will be resumed soon and the Mac bashing will continue...'Connect is far superior to iTMS and Tiger is blatantly a copy of LongHorn'! ;) :p

jsw
Jan 13, 2005, 11:15 AM
"Dvorak the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Mac mini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Thurott supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Convert! Many MacAddicts and PC Users knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Convert that day, I can tell you!"
;)

Nice Ghostbusters paraphrase.

And I agree with some of the above posters: this is possibly just a gambit to draw in Mac fans, to be followed with bad reviews when the minis actually arrive for review.....

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 12:58 PM
You don't hear anybody complaining about the iPod mini anymore, do you?

Which one of these three guys was it (Enderle?) who said that there WAS no problem meeting demand for the Mini early on... that the reason you couldn't find one for the first few months is that the product was vaporware and did not even exist! Despite... oh... reviews of them all over the Web!

That's how out of touch some of these extremists are. They really are trolls--trolling for hits that keep their paycheck high. And quite possibly working on MS's behalf in some cases too--at least indirectly.

tutubibi
Jan 13, 2005, 02:15 PM
It's official. Windows domination is coming to an end (soon).

Thurott is getting ready to jump a ship to a future dominant platform: OS X.
After all, if he stays Windows guy, he will not have OS to write about in couple of years.

:p :p :p :D

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 11:02 PM
There'll be other commentators that will rise to fill the "whipping boy" void.

Silencio
Jan 14, 2005, 12:04 PM
Thurott?

THUROTT likes the Mac mini? This man is the Mossberg of Microsoft [...]

At least Mossberg gets his facts right. Thurrott is so lost in space that he thinks a 32MB Radeon 9200 is a "1999-era" video card. In reality, the top dog of the day was the Rage 128 with its then-outrageous 16MB of VRAM.

Also had to chuckle at the digs Thurrott took at Mossberg in his keynote blog. He can only dream of having the readership and credibility that Mossberg enjoys.