PDA

View Full Version : Halo effect- Steve Jobs is having another go at the mass mar...

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 12:39 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Halo effect- Steve Jobs is having another go at the mass market (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113013908)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 01:28 AM
"So Mr Gates could come from behind yet again."

He repeats what so many have said... that Mac was once the top desktop computer, and underdog Microsoft managed to topple it. So maybe the same will happen to Apple this time too!

Ummm... when was Microsoft and DOS the underdog compared to a dominant Apple Mac?

This situation is the REVERSE of 1984. PCs were the big platform back then... but this time, with music, it's Apple's product.

winmacguy
Jan 13, 2005, 02:19 AM
Every body keeps talking about Apples "Expensive computers" and Dell or Gate ways "cheaper ones". That was the only bit I disagreed with in the article

24C
Jan 13, 2005, 03:50 AM
Every body keeps talking about Apples "Expensive computers" and Dell or Gate ways "cheaper ones". ...

Exactly, but they don't notice they have been getting cheaper and quite competitive in a quality brand to brand runout, nor do they notice the plusses that come as standard.

Oh slightly off topic...and they keep talking about a locked in iPod...like you can't burn CDs from other music store purchases and add them!

Sharewaredemon
Jan 13, 2005, 08:11 AM

He repeats what so many have said... that Mac was once the top desktop computer, and underdog Microsoft managed to topple it. So maybe the same will happen to Apple this time too!

Ummm... when was Microsoft and DOS the underdog compared to a dominant Apple Mac?

This situation is the REVERSE of 1984. PCs were the big platform back then... but this time, with music, it's Apple's product.

The thing is though, is that I found he at least pointed out that Apple is playing the same game a little different by liscencing iTunes to Windows, and make the HP iPod. These factors over time will help iTunes compete with Janus (BTW I find Janus to be such an evil name, figures Microsoft picked it)

Exactly, but they don't notice they have been getting cheaper and quite competitive in a quality brand to brand runout, nor do they notice the plusses that come as standard.

Oh slightly off topic...and they keep talking about a locked in iPod...like you can't burn CDs from other music store purchases and add them!

You know that's such a good point, CD's are soo cheap now, and plus, it sort of has a dual use, which is that you are also backing up your purchased music (though in a rather spacious manner).

Belly-laughs
Jan 13, 2005, 09:38 AM
BTW I find Janus to be such an evil name, figures Microsoft picked it

I had a gym teacher called Janus…

I like the way the author pictures Jobs as the rock star with his own show, especially compared to other industry big boys that has to fight for attention in Vegas.

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2005, 11:00 AM

The Apple II+ was used in a lot of companies since VisiCalc (the first electronic spreadsheet) became available in 1979. At that point in time, MS sold its BASIC interpreter and CP/M cards for Apple II machines, which featured, tada!, their BASIC interpreter.

So yes, MS came from behind with IBM's help and wiped out both Apple and Digital Research's CP/M. Gary Kildall was flying his plane, though. <shakes head, hears rattle>

In late 1990, when Windows 3.0 was released, MS really pushed out the GUI competitors too. That's when Apple legal filed the lawsuit about the overlapping windows breaching the agreement. It didn't take long for it and version 3.1 to gain significant ground.

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 12:49 PM
I realize that the Apple II had a lot of success in the early days, but it still wasn't dominant like the iPod. And more to the point, these people aren't talking about the Apple II or Apple computers in general, they are talking about how the MACINTOSH lost to Microsoft. That's just nothing to do with the iPod vs. Microsoft.

painimies
Jan 13, 2005, 03:17 PM

Ouch.

...sorry for the spam.