Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
Hello,

Quick question to anyone who might know. Is it okay to switch studio monitors (KRK RP-8 G1) on/off using a surge protector? The way they are positioned makes it quite a pain to use the switches on the back of the individual speakers.

Also a secondary question. My set-up is so:

Mac -> Presonus Firestudio -> Monitors

What would you guys recommend to act like a "receiver" within this set-up, for the times when I want to plug in an ipod etc to the speakers. Small tabletop mixer? Something like behringer mon800 (although I have heard they have questionable quality)?

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is it okay to switch studio monitors (KRK RP-8 G1) on/off using a surge protector?

Yes, you can, there is no difference between that and the built-in switch

Mac -> Presonus Firestudio -> Monitors

What would you guys recommend to act like a "receiver" within this set-up, for the times when I want to plug in an ipod etc to the speakers. Small tabletop mixer? Something like behringer mon800
Assuming you would never play the iPod at the same time as the computer audio all you need is a simple switch or not even that if your speakers have multiple inputs. most of them do. Mixers are for it you want to "mix" the sound from multiple sources.

Another very round about way to go is to use the Presonus box as a mixer/switch and plaug the iPod into one of the Presonus line-level inputs and then you the software that cam with the presonus to route the audio to the speakers. Complex, yes but better than the mixer idea

If you do get a small mixer then cheapest decent one is $100 and certainly NOT made by Behringer. If you must buy some kind of box get a "monitor manager" type thing

iPod? I assume that was just an example. You'd never need to do that because the songs are all in the computer and you could use iTunes to play them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.