Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeBCpro5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Oklahoma
So I was contemplating between a MBP and MBA both being 2010 models and which one would be faster? Here is the comparison:

Macbook Pro 2.4ghz with Crucial 256GB SSD with Crucial 8GB of RAM

or

Macbook Air 2.13ghz/4gb/256gb

I mean faster as in overall performance/ photoshop / and other programs in that nature. Another reason I am asking is because I have financing at best buy and can't get an "ultimate" macbook air there but can get a macbook pro and upgrade myself.

Thanks.

zstar

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Don't bother comparing the latest MBA's and MBP's, the MBP will always win.

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
The MBP will definitely be faster. You can't justify getting a MBA over a MBP based on speed or any other measure of performance. That's why the MBPs are the "pro" version.

The only reason to get a MBA is if you want/need a smaller form factor. The new MBA cuts the performance gap somewhat, and thus makes the MBA a viable option to a MBP. But the MBP is still a better performing machine.

This isn't criticism of the MBA. I love mine. But people shouldn't view it as an alternative to a MBP in terms of sheer performance.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
The MBP will definitely be faster. You can't justify getting a MBA over a MBP based on speed or any other measure of performance. That's why the MBPs are the "pro" version.

The only reason to get a MBA is if you want/need a smaller form factor. The new MBA cuts the performance gap somewhat, and thus makes the MBA a viable option to a MBP. But the MBP is still a better performing machine.

This isn't criticism of the MBA. I love mine. But people shouldn't view it as an alternative to a MBP in terms of sheer performance.
Keep in mind he's using a MBP with a 256SSD. None of the 13" MBP's offer a speed advantage over the Air with a HD.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
MBA-
Even with SSD, the MBP won't read/write to the drive as fast.
The MBA SSD is more "integrated" into the motherboard and Apple has optimized it in a way that replacement SSD drives in other MBP's can't be.

I don't see much difference in everyday usage between 4 and 8GB RAM (there would be a real diff between 2 and 4GB)

The differences in processors will also be negligible.

zstar

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
MBA-
Even with SSD, the MBP won't read/write to the drive as fast.
The MBA SSD is more "integrated" into the motherboard and Apple has optimized it in a way that replacement SSD drives in other MBP's can't be.

I don't see much difference in everyday usage between 4 and 8GB RAM (there would be a real diff between 2 and 4GB)

The differences in processors will also be negligible.

You forgot the graphics card, easily x2, x3 of the MBA's performance. Processor performance is definitely noticeable in more demanding apps and tasks (Photoshop etc.)

SSD in the MBA may be a little faster but easily beaten by getting a top of the line SSD drive for the MBP.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
So I was contemplating between a MBP and MBA both being 2010 models and which one would be faster? Here is the comparison:

Macbook Pro 2.4ghz with Crucial 256GB SSD with Crucial 8GB of RAM

or

Macbook Air 2.13ghz/4gb/256gb

I mean faster as in overall performance/ photoshop / and other programs in that nature. Another reason I am asking is because I have financing at best buy and can't get an "ultimate" macbook air there but can get a macbook pro and upgrade myself.

Thanks.
Here's a link to my Xbench benchmark score on my 13" MBA ultimate. BTW, it smoked my 13" MBP 2.66GHZ........
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=479731

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
The other nice thing abou the MBPs is that you can upgrade the SSDs over time to get even faster and bigger. The MBAs are pretty nice today, but in two years you are stuck with old technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.