PDA

View Full Version : How much RAM for a Mac Mini?

manchurian
Jan 13, 2005, 01:38 AM
Hi there,
I'm totally new to the Mac World and I just saw the Mac Mini and I'm astounished. I maybe wanna get me such a machine but I have a question: How much memory does such a Mac use to be responsive and snappy? I currently have an IBM T42p notebook with 1GB RAM so I'm used to a fast machine. All I'd want to do is maybe browse the internet, use iTunes, use it for Photo Albums, etc. My ex-co-worker had a Powerbook with a 867MHz CPU and 768MB RAM and from time to time, it was kinda sluggish. He always had the newest updates on his machine, etc.

Thanks for any information on this subject :)

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 01:49 AM
I believe it only has ONE ram slot. And the maximum is 1Gig.

Hope that answers your question. :)

It takes a good 512MB of ram for iLife and Mac OS X.3 to be responsive.

And as always do not buy the ram from Apple. Buy the ram from another vendor and ask an Apple Tech to install it for you. :)

Please note that some OS X updates have not been that great, some machines were affected more than others.

Cannot comment on your friends PowerBook as I do not have enough information. :)

manchurian
Jan 13, 2005, 02:00 AM
I believe it only has ONE ram slot. And the maximum is 1Gig.

Hope that answers your question. :)

It takes a good 512MB of ram for iLife and Mac OS X.3 to be responsive.

And as always do not buy the ram from Apple. Buy the ram from another vendor and ask an Apple Tech to install it for you. :)

Please note that some OS X updates have not been that great, some machines were affected more than others.

Cannot comment on your friends PowerBook as I do not have enough information. :)

Jep, when I tried to configure one, 1GB was the max I could select. So you think 1GB would be optimal for the Mac Mini? Where can I find such an Apple Tech guy? Can I buy just normal standard RAM? Could I do the same with a harddisk? :)

I think it was a 2nd Gen Powerbook(887 MHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB harddisk, he just told me ;)) so I don't know how much it changed :) Apple should make a Apple Store in Switzerland, grmbl.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 02:06 AM
Jep, when I tried to configure one, 1GB was the max I could select. So you think 1GB would be optimal for the Mac Mini? Where can I find such an Apple Tech guy? Can I buy just normal standard RAM? Could I do the same with a harddisk? :)

I think it was a 2nd Gen Powerbook(887 MHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB harddisk, he just told me ;)) so I don't know how much it changed :) Apple should make a Apple Store in Switzerland, grmbl.

Mac mini contains PC2700, 333MHz double data rate, synchronous dynamic random-access memory (DDR-SDRAM), one of the fastest memory technologies available today. Double data rate memory (DDR-SDRAM) provides twice the throughput of single data rate SDRAM and boosts overall system performance. Your Mac mini comes with at least 256 megabytes (MB) of memory. You can select additional memory up to 1 Gigabyte. You can upgrade your memory later by taking your system to an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

My understanding is that it uses a standard DDR DIMM and not a SO-DIMM.

Sure you can buy the above classification ram from a 3rd party and call Apple or visit an Apple Retail Store and ask someone to install it for you. :)

I see no reason why you cannot do this with the HDD as well, check the Apple site to check if it uses a 3.5" or 2.5" size drive.

Since you are in Switzerland, call Apple and ask if there is an Apple Certified Tech shop near you house. :)

manchurian
Jan 13, 2005, 02:15 AM
My understanding is that it uses a standard DDR DIMM and not a SO-DIMM.

Sure you can buy the above classification ram from a 3rd party and call Apple or visit an Apple Retail Store and ask someone to install it for you. :)

I see no reason why you cannot do this with the HDD as well, check the Apple site to check if it uses a 3.5" or 2.5" size drive.

Since you are in Switzerland, call Apple and ask if there is an Apple Certified Tech shop near you house. :)

Cool, I think I gonna do that. How much does installing RAM and a Harddisk cost?

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 02:19 AM
Cool, I think I gonna do that. How much does installing RAM and a Harddisk cost?

Search on the web, do a forum search, wait a few days to see if any members here post something good.

Those are some suggestions. :)

By the way the Mac mini will not take a SATA HDD. Thought I would let you know. :)

manchurian
Jan 13, 2005, 02:23 AM
Search on the web, do a forum search, wait a few days to see if any members here post something good.

Those are some suggestions. :)

By the way the Mac mini will not take a SATA HDD. Thought I would let you know. :)

Yeh, that's what I thought, I could actually also get an external firewire harddisk and boot of that(the co worker booted his powerbook from time to time of a iPod ;))

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 02:29 AM
Yeh, that's what I thought, I could actually also get an external firewire harddisk and boot of that(the co worker booted his powerbook from time to time of a iPod ;))

Booting any Mac from an iPod is a very very bad idea. It will shorten the iPod's HDD life since it was not meant to spin for long and constantly.

jadam
Jan 13, 2005, 02:40 AM
Booting any Mac from an iPod is a very very bad idea. It will shorten the iPod's HDD life since it was not meant to spin for long and constantly.

Has anyone's iPod's HDD even died yet from over use?

sorryiwasdreami
Jan 13, 2005, 02:40 AM
Hi there,
I'm totally new to the Mac World and I just saw the Mac Mini and I'm astounished. I maybe wanna get me such a machine but I have a question: How much memory does such a Mac use to be responsive and snappy? I currently have an IBM T42p notebook with 1GB RAM so I'm used to a fast machine. All I'd want to do is maybe browse the internet, use iTunes, use it for Photo Albums, etc. My ex-co-worker had a Powerbook with a 867MHz CPU and 768MB RAM and from time to time, it was kinda sluggish. He always had the newest updates on his machine, etc.

Thanks for any information on this subject :)

One thing you are going to notice right off the bat between Windows XP and OSX is this "snappy" quality, the response you get when clicking. The two operating systems have completely opposite feels.

In windows, generally when you click something, it pops very suddenly, hard, loud, and icy cold. For example, you get that type of reponse when closeing an "okay" window or something. I may be using bizzare adjectives to describe the feel here, but hopefully they will help.

The feel of Panther is soft, warm, liquid, cushion-y, smooth, and subtle. You will notice right away, no matter how much ram you have, that OSx will "feel" more sluggish than windows xp. However, launching applications is faster, rendering any kind of graphic load is faster, and running many programs at once is one of the best things a Mac can do.

That being said, more ram is always better; I would get as much as you can afford. It may take a week or two to get used to Panther's finese, but once you do, going back to work on your windows machine will seem so much less pleasant.

The feel of a Mac and OSx is what we Mac-heads are talking about when we don't understand why people continue to use windows. That and putting up with malware. It's really two different worlds.

blueknight
Jan 13, 2005, 04:19 AM
to upgrade mac mini HD you can pull yours apart and fit new bits but why bother when you have Firewire and USB 2.0 options..? Get yourself and inexpensive external disk and you can use it as backup and on other machines you might have also. As for memory get the full 1G as it really isn't that expensive... you could get tech to fit it but if you can use a screwdriver why not have a go yourself? I am an electronics engineer so I like playing myself ;)

manchurian
Jan 13, 2005, 04:46 AM
to upgrade mac mini HD you can pull yours apart and fit new bits but why bother when you have Firewire and USB 2.0 options..? Get yourself and inexpensive external disk and you can use it as backup and on other machines you might have also. As for memory get the full 1G as it really isn't that expensive... you could get tech to fit it but if you can use a screwdriver why not have a go yourself? I am an electronics engineer so I like playing myself ;)

Yeah, I could do it myself but I'd be pi**ed if it would void the warranty ;) And that's true, an external harddisk would also be a good option. I can always hookup a USB hub for even more devices, right? (up to 127 IIRC). The 1G from Apple is a $500 upgrade which is quite costy, might get a 1GB stick from a 3rd party as suggested.

robbieduncan
Jan 13, 2005, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I could do it myself but I'd be pi**ed if it would void the warranty ;) And that's true, an external harddisk would also be a good option. I can always hookup a USB hub for even more devices, right? (up to 127 IIRC). The 1G from Apple is a $500 upgrade which is quite costy, might get a 1GB stick from a 3rd party as suggested.

Yep USB (or FireWire) hubs allow you to use virtually any number of external devices. Personally I'd go with FireWire for external disks, but the choice is yours...

manchurian
Jan 13, 2005, 05:39 AM
Yep USB (or FireWire) hubs allow you to use virtually any number of external devices. Personally I'd go with FireWire for external disks, but the choice is yours...

Ah ok, wasn't sure if I Firewire was also as "extendable" as USB :) I'll surely go the Firewire route :) Aaaaaaaaaaaaa..... shall I really order one... just ordered a 20GB iPod :D

robbieduncan
Jan 13, 2005, 05:43 AM
Ah ok, wasn't sure if I Firewire was also as "extendable" as USB :) I'll surely go the Firewire route :) Aaaaaaaaaaaaa..... shall I really order one... just ordered a 20GB iPod :D

Most FiewWire drive housings have 2 ports on them allowing for daisy chaining of devices without hubs, so in many ways it's more extendable than USB!

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 13, 2005, 07:20 AM

I thought the iPod drives were standard 1.8" HDDs. Are they the same used in micro notebook computers? Now I will say that I doubt that the MicroDrives used in the iPod mini could stand up to such use.

robbieduncan
Jan 13, 2005, 07:35 AM
I thought the iPod drives were standard 1.8" HDDs. Are they the same used in micro notebook computers? Now I will say that I doubt that the MicroDrives used in the iPod mini could stand up to such use.

Standard notebook drives are 2.5". The iPod ones are smaller. It has been said that continuous running of an iPod causes the drive to get very hot which is not good for it.

Sol
Jan 13, 2005, 07:51 AM
While more RAM is better for any computer, the 1 GB option is too expensive for the budget Mac. I think that 512 MB will be enough for the applications that this computer is intended to run; ie, eMail, web browsing, music etc. It would be better to have 512 MB of memory and to spend the rest of your budget on the upgrade to SuperDrive and Wi-Fi.

csubear
Jan 13, 2005, 08:08 AM
I remember seeing somewhere that if you wanted to get ram installed and not void you warrenty you can take it to an apple store and they will do it free of charge. At least thats what I remember being told with with my powerbook.

Toe
Jan 13, 2005, 09:13 AM
Find RAM specs here:
http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
"256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, expandable to up to 1GB"

And the (surprising) note on that says:
"Memory upgrade must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider."

If you want to pop open the case yourself (possibly breaks a piece of tape which then voids the warranty, or possibly does not break any tape and only voids your warranty if Apple actually finds out that you put in your own RAM), go to:
http://www.ramseeker.com/
to find prices from different resellers (ones who know Macs and will be able to help you with the process).

Enjoy!

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 09:36 AM
If you want to pop open the case yourself (possibly breaks a piece of tape which then voids the warranty, or possibly does not break any tape and only voids your warranty if Apple actually finds out that you put in your own RAM)

I've been thinking about this myself....thing is, if there is a piece of take that breaks when you open the case, then it would break when a technician opened it too. Of course, there could be tape on the RAM as well.

Toe
Jan 13, 2005, 09:44 AM
I've been thinking about this myself....thing is, if there is a piece of take that breaks when you open the case, then it would break when a technician opened it too. Of course, there could be tape on the RAM as well.In cases like this, I believe the techs are provided with replacement tape with a custom imprint on it.

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 10:25 AM
In cases like this, I believe the techs are provided with replacement tape with a custom imprint on it.

So you think that there is tape on the outside of the case? I don't think Apple would allow something like that on their spiffy design. I don't doubt that there is tape somewhere, and I'm sure that the techs replace it when it's broken, but my point is that I doubt that the tape is on the case. I think it's more likely that there is tape on the RAM.

jxyama
Jan 13, 2005, 10:27 AM
basically, how much are you willing to pay for the small size premium? for the price of Mini + 1 GB RAM ($500 + $425), you can basically get an eMac ($800) with comparable specs (but with a monitor, keyboard and mouse) and a third party 1 GB RAM ($150).
<p>
personally, given the cost, 512 MB is the most reasonable amount, i'd say.

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 10:29 AM
basically, how much are you willing to pay for the small size premium? for the price of Mini + 1 GB RAM ($500 + $450), you can get an eMac ($800) with comparable specs (but with a monitor, keyboard and mouse) and a third party 1 GB RAM ($150).
<p>
personally, given the cost, 512 MB is the most reasonable amount, i'd say.

You can buy third party 1GB ram and have Apple install it (for probably around $50). I'll be ordering a Mac Mini in 2 weeks, and that's what I'll be doing.

kettle
Jan 13, 2005, 10:36 AM
what about adding an airport card? do you think that is user serviceable?

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 10:37 AM
You can buy third party 1GB ram and have Apple install it (for probably around $50). I'll be ordering a Mac Mini in 2 weeks, and that's what I'll be doing.

You PAY for your Apple Tech to install hardware. I never. :)

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 10:40 AM
Standard notebook drives are 2.5". The iPod ones are smaller. It has been said that continuous running of an iPod causes the drive to get very hot which is not good for it.

Using any HDD based iPod as a STORAGE device is fine.

Using any HDD based iPod as a BOOTABLE device is BAD.

There is NO ventilation in the iPod case to cool the HDD, that is why it has a buffer so the HDD is not constantly spinning. :)

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 10:44 AM
You PAY for your Apple Tech to install hardware. I never. :)

When I upgrade my Mac Mini and have Apple install the third party RAM, it will have been the first time I've had Apple install something for me.

When you buy one, you can go ahead and void your warranty on a first generation computer all you want. Me? I'm playing it safe.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 10:50 AM
When I upgrade my Mac Mini and have Apple install the third party RAM, it will have been the first time I've had Apple install something for me.

When you buy one, you can go ahead and void your warranty on a first generation computer all you want. Me? I'm playing it safe.

I either do it myself or take it to an Apple Tech and they do it for me if I bring the component(s) that needs upgrading they do it for me at least for free. I didn't know you had to pay them. :)

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 10:51 AM
what about adding an airport card? do you think that is user serviceable?

Nothing on the Mac Mini is "user servicable". If you want to void your Applecare, you are more than welcome to take a crack at it. Since nobody has a Mac Mini yet, nobody knows where the warranty tape is, or to what lengths they go to to make sure you can't replace parts without voiding Applecare.

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 10:52 AM
I either do it myself or take it to an Apple Tech and they do it for me if I bring the component(s) that needs upgrading they do it for me at least for free. I didn't know you had to pay them. :)

Must be nice to know a tech. Most of us don't and will have to pay a small fee for a RAM upgrade.

jxyama
Jan 13, 2005, 11:01 AM

i'd make sure you can do this before you buy it... i'd ask apple if you can take the mini to an apple store and have them install the RAM and if so, for how much.

i wouldn't want to get in between third-party technician's "words" and apple's official warranty policy, if it comes to it...

sounds like a good plan if it works!

oh, i'd also check to make sure that the RAM is in good working order before asking it be installed. if it's a dud, you may need to have the mini serviced twice...

Toe
Jan 13, 2005, 11:03 AM
Nothing on the Mac Mini is "user servicable". If you want to void your Applecare, you are more than welcome to take a crack at it. Since nobody has a Mac Mini yet, nobody knows where the warranty tape is, or to what lengths they go to to make sure you can't replace parts without voiding Applecare.
Are you sure the Airport isn't user-installable? On http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html it very clearly says that RAM has to be installed by Apple, but does not say that about AirPort.

Weird, though, in that in the photo at the bottom of http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html it looks like the RAM is very accessible. Dunno why they would say Apple has to install it.

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 11:08 AM
i'd make sure you can do this before you buy it... i'd ask apple if you can take the mini to an apple store and have them install the RAM and if so, for how much.

i wouldn't want to get in between third-party technician's "words" and apple's official warranty policy, if it comes to it...

sounds like a good plan if it works!

oh, i'd also check to make sure that the RAM is in good working order before asking it be installed. if it's a dud, you may need to have the mini serviced twice...

I thought about that too, but it occurs to me that if Apple had a policy where you had to buy Ram through them, then people who already had a piece of Ram to use, or were given some Ram, or pulled a stick from another machine, etc....wouldn't be allowed to use the Ram they had. I don't think Apple would have that type of policy. Then again, you never know.

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 11:21 AM
I'm at work and I can't call, but someone needs to call their local Apple store and ask:

I already have a stick of 1GB DDR 2700 SDRAM...I understand that's what the new Mac Mini uses. I want to purchase a Mac Mini and use 1GB of RAM in it, but I don't want to buy the RAM through Apple since I already have it. Can you guys install it for me when my Mac arrives?

TyleRomeo
Jan 13, 2005, 12:03 PM
another option is to wait 1 year for your applecare to run out (unless you buy the extended 3 year) and then replace the stock 256 stick with a 2GB stick that should be availible by then and all G4s support up to 2GB of RAM if the sticks are out there.

Tyler

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 13, 2005, 12:07 PM
Are you sure the Airport isn't user-installable? On http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html it very clearly says that RAM has to be installed by Apple, but does not say that about AirPort.

Weird, though, in that in the photo at the bottom of http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html it looks like the RAM is very accessible. Dunno why they would say Apple has to install it.

The problem isn't to change the RAM when the case is open... It's how to pry it open it without breaking (any of) the small plastic thingies holding it together without special tools and experience that's the trick... ;)

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 01:15 PM
Here's a little more info on upgrading the RAM yourself:

A quote from http://www.macintouch.com/mwsf2005notebook.html:

"I went back to the booth later and got a little more info on upgrading the Mac Mini.

Apple "does not recommend" that users upgrade the memory themselves - you're supposed to have a service provider do it if you want to add more after purchase - but doing it yourself does not void the warranty unless you damage something. A booth person told me the memory slot is easily accessible once you get the case open.

You can add AirPort Extreme for $79 and/or Bluetooth for $50 if you're ordering the Mini from the Apple Store, but if you want to add wireless later, your only choice will be a kit that includes both AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth for about $129 ($112 to dealers). This stuff also is not user-installable, supposedly because it involves adding antennas as well as cards."

Seems like damaging the case when you open it wouldn't void the warranty...so if you are competent enough to get it open and install RAM without damaging the internals, it should be fine with the warranty. We still need concrete confirmation though.

jxyama
Jan 13, 2005, 01:24 PM

remember that when you ask someone to do something, you are asking for their time... physical parts involved aren't the only costs involved...

if you took all the ingredients to a restaurant, would you expect the chef to cook them for you for free?

jayscheuerle
Jan 13, 2005, 01:37 PM
If you've noticed by the pictures on Apple's site, this thing snaps together. there are no torx screws or anything. This thing is not meant to come apart after the top is snapped on...

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 01:42 PM
If you've noticed by the pictures on Apple's site, this thing snaps together. there are no torx screws or anything. This thing is not meant to come apart after the top is snapped on...

This link if from another thread and also another site:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12355404~mode=flat~days=9999~start=80

The Mac mini uses a 2.5" HDD folks, just as I stated. :)

iBook stripped down with a DIMM slot instead of a SO-DIMM and higher DDR rating. :)

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 01:45 PM
if you took all the ingredients to a restaurant, would you expect the chef to cook them for you for free?

Unless you know the chef and they give you the food for free. :)

In my case I know the Apple Tech for a long time, and even if he is not there the other Apple Tech will also do it for free (even though I do not know him). :)

Besides he also does PC repairs so its not much of a bother anyhow in my situation. :)

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 01:53 PM

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/751329~c3836acf068a9b227834e0adda226ac2/Picture1.jpg

iBook stripped down with a DIMM slot instead of a SO-DIMM and higher DDR rating. :)

Yes Yes, we all know of your prophecy. Congradulations. Go buy a cookie. :D

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 01:55 PM

Neither is the iPod....and yet you can replace the battery yourself.

All this means is that it could be tricky to open.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 03:08 PM
Yes Yes, we all know of your prophecy. Congradulations. Go buy a cookie. :D

Too late I already ATE mine. :)

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 03:31 PM
Here's another for you

oingoboingo
Jan 13, 2005, 03:36 PM

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/751329~c3836acf068a9b227834e0adda226ac2/Picture1.jpg

Just so you know, the link you posted just redirects to a picture of Barney the Purple Dinosaur on the PBS web site. If that's your idea of a 2.5" hard drive, you gotta put down the crack pipe and get some fresh air.

"Hey, can you retrieve those sales figures and marketing reports from your hard drive?"

"Yeah sure, let me ask Barney to get them!"

Toppa G's
Jan 13, 2005, 03:39 PM
Just so you know, the link you posted just redirects to a picture of Barney the Purple Dinosaur on the PBS web site. If that's your idea of a 2.5" hard drive, you gotta put down the crack pipe and get some fresh air.

Looks like someone doesn't like people linking to his or her images :p

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 03:43 PM

"Hey, can you retrieve those sales figures and marketing reports from your hard drive?"

"Yeah sure, let me ask Barney to get them!"

They changed it as of recent. Oh well it was on a public forum. :o

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12355404~mode=flat~days=9999~start=80

^^The image attachment is near the bottom of the page. :)

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 03:47 PM
Looks like someone doesn't like people linking to his or her images :p

Solution found. :)

click this link instead:

Toppa G's
Jan 13, 2005, 03:55 PM

click this link instead:

Here's the picture I think you're referring to - just confirming the HD model, as far as I can tell.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 03:57 PM
Here's the picture I think you're referring to - just confirming the HD model, as far as I can tell.

Thank you. :)

Here is the specs for that HDD:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=986505#description

oingoboingo
Jan 13, 2005, 03:59 PM

click this link instead:

Thanks maya, Barney now seems to have gone away and has been replaced by a discussion forum :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=104858

I posted another thread in the hardware discussion forum about the 4200rpm Toshiba MK8025GAS drive which the mini seems to be using. It doesn't appear to be any kind of HDD rocket (I think a few people were hoping for a 5400rpm drive), but as always, you get what you pay for, doubly so in an Apple product.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 04:05 PM
Someone want to start a "Find the lowest price on a 1Gig DIMM for a Mac mini" thread. :)

Here is my contribution:

http://dealram.com/prices/systems/30634/1GB.html

$209 USD. :)

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 04:07 PM
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6559&Item=OWC2700DDR1024

$189 through OWC

Rod Rod
Jan 13, 2005, 04:24 PM

FireWire can extend to 63 devices, and USB can go to 127 (iirc).

Someone want to start a "Find the lowest price on a 1Gig DIMM for a Mac mini" thread. :)

Here is my contribution:

http://dealram.com/prices/systems/30634/1GB.html

$209 USD. :)

I followed your link and it got me this:
http://www.pbs.org/wlae/barney.gif

just kidding..

About RAM: PC3200 DIMMs are cheaper than PC2700, and they will work in PC2700 boards. Save a few more bucks and buy a PC3200 1GB module.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 04:27 PM
I followed your link and it got me this:
[IMG]http://www.pbs.org/wlae/barney.gif[IMG]

just kidding..

Ha ha ha very funny. :o

About RAM: PC3200 DIMMs are cheaper than PC2700, and they will work in PC2700 boards. Save a few more bucks and buy a PC3200 1GB module.

Want to start a thread, before we have 20 of them asking for the best place to buy ram for this Mac mini. :)

Save many people some trouble. :)

Toe
Jan 13, 2005, 04:30 PM
If you're a real risk taker, 1GB of 2700 333MHz SDRAM can be had for as little as $85. Allegedly. And assuming all of the other specs are right...

http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=33&a=4922
(frame in http://www.pricewatch.com/)

Rod Rod
Jan 13, 2005, 04:43 PM
Want to start a thread, before we have 20 of them asking for the best place to buy ram for this Mac mini. :)

Save many people some trouble. :)

That's a good idea ... I just ordered some PC3200 RAM for my dual G5 and my dad's pre-ordered Mac mini. I don't know when the Mac mini's coming and I don't know when the RAM is coming, but hopefully we'll get both in the next two weeks.

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 05:06 PM
Is it a confirmed fact that you can use PC3200 RAM in a Mac that is spec'd to use PC2700? Or is that just something that someone has heard somewhere?

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 05:09 PM
Is it a confirmed fact that you can use PC3200 RAM in a Mac that is spec'd to use PC2700? Or is that just something that someone has heard somewhere?

DDR ram is backwards compatible. Meaning if its a higher rated ram speed installed on a slower ram bus speed it will drop to the lower speed. And it still works as is. :)

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 05:14 PM
DDR ram is backwards compatible. Meaning if its a higher rated ram speed installed on a slower ram bus speed it will drop to the lower speed. And it still works as is. :)

I have yet to find PC3200 that is cheaper than PC2700, but here's a 1GB PC2700 for $165

http://www.18004memory.com/cart/addcart.asp?Try=Yes&itemID=502400&itemTYPE=cat

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 05:21 PM
I have yet to find PC3200 that is cheaper than PC2700, but here's a 1GB PC2700 for $165

Then that should do just fine. :)

jayscheuerle
Jan 13, 2005, 05:32 PM
Can't wait to see the first online tutorials from some Japanese dude taking it apart, anodizing the aluminum, drilling holes in it to mimic the G5, etc...

Once I see how easy it is to get to the RAM without breaking all the plastic clips, I'll drop my 5 c-notes...

Rod Rod
Jan 13, 2005, 06:38 PM

cool.. I guess the prices have fluctuated since the last time I checked prices.

I just ordered two of these:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4159603?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If they work in my PM G5 I'll have 5GB or more total. :) Otherwise hopefully I can return them to my local Fry's.

Toe
Jan 13, 2005, 06:48 PM
I guess I should take back my recommendation for those el cheapo Pricewatch prices.
http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=33&a=4922

On the plus side, $85 is is 80% less than Apple is charging for 1GB, and 48% lower than the lowest other price mentioned in this thread....

On the not-so-plus side, this sort of statement (http://store.yahoo.com/digi4me/ba1gb1ddr33p.html) does make me hesitate just a little bit...
*Use lowest cost and lowest quality or down grade components available at the time of manufacturing.

*Users may experience system compatibility problems including un-able to book up system and increase frequency of system lock-ups due to signal noise within the lower quality memory module.

*Only very few motherboards/chipset support memory modules made by x4 DRAMs (Intel and AMD chipsets DO NOT support x4 DRAMs). Please check compatibility before you purchase. Your system will not be able to boot up or only recognize HALF of the memory size if it does not support x4 DRAMs.

Peyote
Jan 13, 2005, 07:01 PM
cool.. I guess the prices have fluctuated since the last time I checked prices.

I just ordered two of these:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4159603?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If they work in my PM G5 I'll have 5GB or more total. :) Otherwise hopefully I can return them to my local Fry's.

If I could find someone to go in with me on this set, we'd each have a 1 GB stick of RAM for $125 each. Or if someone was enterprising, they would buy these sets and sell them individually to Mac mini owners

Rod Rod
Jan 13, 2005, 07:08 PM
If I could find someone to go in with me on this set, we'd each have a 1 GB stick of RAM for $125 each. Or if someone was enterprising, they would buy these sets and sell them individually to Mac mini owners

Consider me the guinea pig. When I get them I'll try them in my PM G5. If they work in there they should have no trouble in the Mac mini. I'll report back to this thread after testing.

0s and 1s
Jan 14, 2005, 02:27 AM

I'd do it with you. It only has a 1yr. warranty. I've never used Legacy. Any good?

Peyote
Jan 14, 2005, 09:35 AM
I'd do it with you. It only has a 1yr. warranty. I've never used Legacy. Any good?

I have no idea about the brand, but I won't even get my Mac mini until next month at the earliest...since I will be ordering it in 2 weeks. By then we should know what RAM will and won't work.

ruud
Jan 14, 2005, 12:42 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300572
"PC2700 or PC3200 Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)"

Yvan256
Jan 14, 2005, 02:41 PM
another option is to wait 1 year for your applecare to run out (unless you buy the extended 3 year) and then replace the stock 256 stick with a 2GB stick that should be availible by then and all G4s support up to 2GB of RAM if the sticks are out there.

Tyler

The G4 is a 32-bit CPU, doesn't it support up to 4GB of RAM? (like a regular pentium)

Rod Rod
Jan 14, 2005, 02:51 PM
The G4 is a 32-bit CPU, doesn't it support up to 4GB of RAM? (like a regular pentium)

Yes, G4s support up to 4GB or RAM. The likely reason TyleRomeo thinks there's a 2GB limit is that's what Apple says the DDR RAM Power Mac G4s can take. However, 4x1GB PC2700 modules will fit and work in them.

frozenapple
Jan 27, 2005, 07:14 PM
What I am wondering is the actual timings the system bus will allow, such as cas settings. I would consider some higher quality RAM with tighter timings but I have yet to see specs that mention the cas settings the board and chip will tolerate.

Yep, I'm testing the waters, so far, I love it. Maybe a G5 with an ATI X800Xt if it's compatable, might be my next toy :)

jadam
Jan 27, 2005, 09:21 PM

No, the mini is probablly more like an emac. Considering that the mini also has a 9200 radeon, and not a mobility 9200 radeon, it seems to be more like a smaller emac with 2.5" drive and slot loading cd drive. And just 1 DIMM slot instead of 2.