PDA

View Full Version : WOW- cosmo add on for MAC

bimmerjack
Jan 13, 2005, 07:27 AM
PC players have this add on to their world of warcraft game called Cosmo, making their game experiance a lot better. Those extra skill bars really make a big difference when playing in the game. I am wondering if there is such add-on for Mac? If anyone knows, please let me know.
thanks guys

AoWolf
Jan 13, 2005, 08:24 AM
PC players have this add on to their world of warcraft game called Cosmo, making their game experiance a lot better. Those extra skill bars really make a big difference when playing in the game. I am wondering if there is such add-on for Mac? If anyone knows, please let me know.
thanks guys

There is indeed. Its called Cosmos. ;-) but really it can be used on mac too ignore Cosmos.exe thats for the thottbot upload. To install simply copy addons and framexml into your interface folder.

patseguin
Jan 13, 2005, 08:28 AM
What is the URL to this add-on? I'm curious exactly what it does.

AoWolf
Jan 13, 2005, 08:39 AM
What is the URL to this add-on? I'm curious exactly what it does.

www.cosmosui.com I think.

It adds many little features to wow just to make it more user friendly. The main reason for using it is the addition of a second spell bar and side bars. Blizzard does let you use it and around 70% of every one playing wow does.

iBert
Jan 13, 2005, 10:01 AM
I tried Cosmos on my G5. And some errors sometimes. so I got rid of it.

The one i'm using now is GypsyMod. Also, you can check wowcensus

AoWolf
Jan 13, 2005, 10:17 AM
I tried Cosmos on my G5. And some errors sometimes. so I got rid of it.

The one i'm using now is GypsyMod. Also, you can check wowcensus

A little bit off subject here but does wow ever lock up and freeze on your G5, so you can't force quite it? Happens allot on mine but never once on my iBook.

killmoms
Jan 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
Cosmos full gave me errors, but all I ever use is the Cosmos Lite Alpha. It's been perfect for me so far, and I love it. Makes playing the game a lot nicer. All those extra bars are very convenient.

starstreak
Jan 13, 2005, 11:54 AM
how are u guys running these programs? I only see them avail for the pc. both cosmos and GypsyMod?

AoWolf
Jan 13, 2005, 12:09 PM
how are u guys running these programs? I only see them avail for the pc. both cosmos and GypsyMod?

See my above post on how to install.

benpatient
Jan 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
A little bit off subject here but does wow ever lock up and freeze on your G5, so you can't force quite it? Happens allot on mine but never once on my iBook.

i don't play WOW, but my G5 locked up all the time when i was still trying to play games on it. I finally quit trying because the performance was so embarrassing and because the lock-ups were driving me nuts.

my locking-up situation basically amounted to this:

play 3d game (several of them were giving me trouble...mainly Unreal-based ones)
after a while, game screen locks up
sound continues going on the background...things are still happening, but not drawing on the screen
sound eventually gets stuck in infinite loop and sometimes stops all together
*can't alt-tab out or force quit. Nothing ever changes on the screen at all once this happens
hold down power button and restart the G5

This happened basically once or twice for every hour that I tried to play any 3d full screen game.

I was able to play Halo in a window (at 640x480, it runs pretty well) on my G5 with the desktop resolution set at 1600x1200 (native on my 21" panel) for much longer periods of time without the locking up...but it still does it sometimes.

Anyway, playing one game in a 4" window on a 21" screen isn't what I call a very exciting gaming experience.

I tried all of the obvious stuff to get my machine to work. Called apple. They suggested I try a reformat and reinstall, among other things.

Fine. Didn't help.

removed all the non-apple RAM...crashes in games happened even faster
removed the apple RAM only...crashes happened as normal
removed and replaced the grahphics card...no change
flashed the PRAM...nothing
"fixed permissions" ...nope
the list goes on...basically, it isn't worth it to me to try anymore, because even if i did get it running well, it would be at 1/2 the resolution that my PC runs it, and with the details turned off...I'd rather not have to move back and forth, but i dont' have much choice.

BTW, this is a first-revision dual 1.8 G5 with the 5200 64 and a 320GB RAID 0 array, Samsung SM213T and 2.5 GB of Corsair big-money RAM.

rbarris
Jan 13, 2005, 12:32 PM
i don't play WOW, but my G5 locked up all the time when i was still trying to play games on it. I finally quit trying because the performance was so embarrassing and because the lock-ups were driving me nuts.

play 3d game (several of them were giving me trouble...mainly Unreal-based ones)
sound continues going on the background...things are still happening, but not drawing on the screen

Have you upgraded to the latest OS X ?

There was a bug like this in 10.3.5 and earlier.

Converted2Truth
Jan 13, 2005, 12:57 PM
the latest version of cosmos works fine with WoW on mac. just copy the 'interface' folder into the wow folder...

robyrt
Jan 14, 2005, 08:29 AM
BTW, this is a first-revision dual 1.8 G5 with the 5200 64 and a 320GB RAID 0 array, Samsung SM213T and 2.5 GB of Corsair big-money RAM.

I don't have a fancy G5, I have a G4 with a GeForce3 Ti 128 card...but I can run these games pretty well...I wonder if that low-end 5200 card is the problem? As I said, I don't have the G5 and I'm not super-for-sure the 5200 64 you're listing is even the vid card, but I think the numbers look familiar. If you're trying to do it on that card, that might be part of the problem. As far as the screen blanking out, I'm experiencing it a little bit in WoW, but I find that if I switch from windowed mode (where it usually happens) to the full screen mode it makes it redraw the screen and then works fine.

I remember a vid card that I had in a pc where the fan died on the card. It caused all kinds of lockups whenever the card got used for any kind of intensive processes. It worked fine rendering the desktop and such, but once a game started dumping data on it, it would overheat and the freeze the system.

Not sure if it helps, but maybe at least the window-full screen trick will help someone.

BTW Cosmos Alpha runs great on my system. I've never had it lock up. Just put the files in your interface folder like the above poster said. You can't upload your char profile though, (I don't think so anyway, if you can let me know!) which is kind of disappointing. Have fun, and if you're on the alleria server, send me a tell sometime! "robthebrave"

Rob

yellow
Jan 14, 2005, 08:39 AM
Never had a problem with the Cosmos UI (alpha only) on any of my Macs. The only time it doesn't work is right after a patch, and the Cosmos folks update it pretty darned quickly.

I cannot play without Cosmos.

YA URL is: http://www.cosmosui.org

shortyjj
Jan 15, 2005, 02:25 PM

Why is this exactly?

Being a mage, I'd love the extra spell bar, but don't want to mess around with the files for fear of messing up my character.

ravenvii
Jan 15, 2005, 08:04 PM

Why is this exactly?

Being a mage, I'd love the extra spell bar, but don't want to mess around with the files for fear of messing up my character.

Your characters are stored on the WoW servers, not on your computer. So it's impossible for you to mess up your characters.

HiRez
Jan 16, 2005, 01:21 AM
how are u guys running these programs? I only see them avail for the pc. both cosmos and GypsyMod?These use a standard Blizzard UI extension API for WoW, so they're the same on both PC and Mac (nice, huh?). The only thing you can't run are any .exe installer files, but usually installing mods is as easy as unzipping the archive and dragging the files into one of the WoW folders.

markjones05
Jan 17, 2005, 05:28 PM
I just get .exe files when i download from http://www.cosmosui.com/cosmos/ Am i doing something wrong?

yellow
Jan 18, 2005, 07:32 AM
I just get .exe files when i download from http://www.cosmosui.com/cosmos/ Am i doing something wrong?

Yes. Don't download Cosmos.exe :)

Download Cosmos_Alpha.zip. Unzip it. Open the unzipped directory. Put the contents of the Interface directory in the Interface in your WoW directory. Run Wow. Now you have Cosmos.

yellow
Jan 18, 2005, 07:34 AM
Why is this exactly?

There are many reasons why I hate having to play WoW w/o Cosmos. But as noted by someone else, you cannot mess up your character.

patseguin
Jan 18, 2005, 07:56 AM
I just installed Cosmos last night and can't imagine how I got this far without it!

iBert
Jan 18, 2005, 09:51 AM

Sorry for the late response, very late. Guess too much WoW.
I never had a problem with WoW crashing. Only recently and it crashed twice. But, can't really say it was gypsyMod. The only one problem i ever got with gypsyMod was on my PB. And it was that the UI wasn't working, just showed the normal UI that comes with game.

But now, I'm palying on my P4. That way i don't need to buy new RAM or Video Card. :D

AoWolf
Jan 18, 2005, 10:18 AM
Sorry for the late response, very late. Guess too much WoW.
I never had a problem with WoW crashing. Only recently and it crashed twice. But, can't really say it was gypsyMod. The only one problem i ever got with gypsyMod was on my PB. And it was that the UI wasn't working, just showed the normal UI that comes with game.

But now, I'm palying on my P4. That way i don't need to buy new RAM or Video Card. :D

Ah ok now on a related subject does wow ever fail to display the screen after from going into full screen.

yellow
Jan 18, 2005, 10:25 AM
Ah ok now on a related subject does wow ever fail to display the screen after from going into full screen.

Speaking for myself..

Yes, but only on my stock 64MB ATI card in an MDD.
The nVidia and ATI mobility have never had that problem.

killmoms
Jan 18, 2005, 10:45 AM
In related news, I just discovered smart self-cast. How did I ever live without this? Woot woot Cosmos!

I've had trouble with the screen not displaying correctly sometimes when I go to Windowed mode, but usually going back to full screen and then BACK to Windowed mode clears it right up. But this problem is very occasional. Then again, I usually play on my PC when I'm near it.

Plutonius
Jan 18, 2005, 11:14 AM
Is anyone using dial-up to play WoW with Cosmos installed ?

Santiago
Jan 18, 2005, 12:11 PM
Cosmos is completely cross-platform because it is a set of plain-text scripts written in the LUA language and executed by the WoW client. Blizzard has set things up so that the user interface is customizable, but you cannot have external executables that interact with the client, so as to prevent the creation of bots.

iBert
Jan 18, 2005, 01:20 PM

One thing I should have mentioned is, my G5 is stock. 64MB 9600 Pro and 512 MB RAM. So during gameplay i get some display lag (think this is what i should say). But I can say, I never had problems with the game until after the last WoW update. And it only crashed twice. But yes, i experience some lag that i guess is because of my G5 specs.

Now that I play on my P4, a gaming machine. I do get the lag in display but can say it's because i have settings all the way high and maybe some server issues and/or distance from the server i play. I'm playing on a MST server and I'm on EST.

Trying to answer your questions, I may not be able to be the best source. True I've encountered some problems, but they are the least almost none.

Are you always playing with a 3rd party UI? Trying playing with the normal UI and see how it performs. Should you get the same problems, then hope that for next update they are fixed. But sorry, my experience with WoW on my G5 has been awesome.

HiRez
Jan 22, 2005, 09:26 AM
I've had trouble with the screen not displaying correctly sometimes when I go to Windowed mode, but usually going back to full screen and then BACK to Windowed mode clears it right up. But this problem is very occasional. Then again, I usually play on my PC when I'm near it.That might not be a Cosmos problem, I get similar problems without using Cosmos. When I go into windowed mode, my paladin aura bar overlaps the chat pane, and also I occasionally experience a completely black screen when entering either full screen or windowed mode, but it can always be fixed by toggling once.

LaughingBlood
Feb 16, 2005, 10:36 PM
Yes. Don't download Cosmos.exe :)

Download Cosmos_Alpha.zip. Unzip it. Open the unzipped directory. Put the contents of the Interface directory in the Interface in your WoW directory. Run Wow. Now you have Cosmos.

I tried that. I downloaded that file. Took the 2 folders from the interface folder and copied them into my WOW interface folder. When I open WOW it prompted me with a message saying my interface is outdated. It gave me the choice of either exit or delete. I clicked exit and it just quits the game. So I reopen and click delete and that of course deletes the interface folder.. So how is it that I can run cosmos on my mac? That cosmos file had the most recent date on it. Even the text that comes with Cosmos says it's that easy but it never is. Can someone help me out? Thank you very much.

Santiago
Feb 16, 2005, 11:56 PM
I tried that. I downloaded that file. Took the 2 folders from the interface folder and copied them into my WOW interface folder. When I open WOW it prompted me with a message saying my interface is outdated. It gave me the choice of either exit or delete. I clicked exit and it just quits the game. So I reopen and click delete and that of course deletes the interface folder.. So how is it that I can run cosmos on my mac? That cosmos file had the most recent date on it. Even the text that comes with Cosmos says it's that easy but it never is. Can someone help me out? Thank you very much.

By doing the exact same thing after Cosmos has been updated to work with the new patch they released on Tuesday; you'd get the same problem on Windows. Alternately, do a multi-file search-and-replace changing all instances of 4150 with 4211 to patch it yourself until an official version is posted. I did so and have had no problems so far.

LaughingBlood
Feb 17, 2005, 02:15 PM
By doing the exact same thing after Cosmos has been updated to work with the new patch they released on Tuesday; you'd get the same problem on Windows. Alternately, do a multi-file search-and-replace changing all instances of 4150 with 4211 to patch it yourself until an official version is posted. I did so and have had no problems so far.

Pretend I'm a boce. That I need a walk through of that process because it exhausts my very limited spatial knowledge. So would I take downloaded alpha file and copy the Add-ons and FrameXML folder to my WOW interface folder first? Then use Sherlock to search these 2 folders for "4150" and whatever search results show up go into those files and change 4150 to 4211? How do you do that? Is it just a simple matter of clicking on the numbers and changing them or how do I go about patching something myself? I've never done that before so a more detailed walk through would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time guys. I really appreciate this. :)

LaughingBlood
Feb 17, 2005, 02:50 PM
12" ibook G4
800mhz
640megs of RAM
20 gigs free space left
32mb ATI 9200 GPU
OS X 10.3.8

Hey guys I have to do a lot to play WOW on my mac cos it's below the minimum specs required to play but I can still get a playable game. So if anyone else has a mac that doesn't quite cut it or is teetering on the line here is some things I have done with the advice of others that makes a SIGNIFICANT increase in FPS.

First and foremost I have to drop all my video options to nill or lowest
Set my processor to highest possible performance in energy saver settings (huge increase in FPS)
Unchecked my vertical sync option in the video options
The kicker is I quit the finder before playing which helps so WOW is the only app running.

I can get about 35FPS inside and 20-25 outside which is a huge jump from when I started where it was totally unplayable at like 5FPS. Now someone suggested this applescript to expedite the process of quitting the finder and opening WOW but when I punched it in it only half works. The finder quits but WOW doesn't open so I have to open WOW, window mode it, run the script to quit the finder and then return to WOW. So I was wondering if anyone here can help me out with this script to make it so WOW opens and the finder quits as it's supposed to? Here's the script and thanks to Doit on the Suramar server for coming up with the script:

You could actually make a nice AppleScript that does this. Open up Script Editor, paste this into it, save the file as an application and make sure to check the run-only box, and then use the script to start WoW from now on.

AppleScript code:

tell application "Finder" to activate the application "World of Warcraft"
tell application "Finder" to quit

That's it! You can even paste the WoW icon onto the resulting application so that it looks just like the WoW app.

I followed that exactly as it says and it just quits the finder like I said. Doesn't look like it tries to open WOW either when I execute the script. So can anyone help out with that? Thanks again.

Sincerely,
LaughingBlood

therevolution
Feb 17, 2005, 03:44 PM
I don't have WoW to test this, but what happens if you change the line:

to:

tell application "World of Warcraft" to activate

Maybe Finder being told to quit before it can get a chance to launch WoW...? I'm by no means an Applescript expert, but it's something to try.

LaughingBlood
Feb 17, 2005, 09:08 PM
I don't have WoW to test this, but what happens if you change the line:

to:

tell application "World of Warcraft" to activate

Maybe Finder being told to quit before it can get a chance to launch WoW...? I'm by no means an Applescript expert, but it's something to try.

Ah HA! You're a genius. I could just kiss you. It works perfectly like that. Thank you oh so much. Now. All I need is answer to my previous question above:

Pretend I'm a boce. That I need a walk through of that process because it exhausts my very limited spatial knowledge. So would I take downloaded alpha file and copy the Add-ons and FrameXML folder to my WOW interface folder first? Then use Sherlock to search these 2 folders for "4150" and whatever search results show up go into those files and change 4150 to 4211? How do you do that? Is it just a simple matter of clicking on the numbers and changing them or how do I go about patching something myself? I've never done that before so a more detailed walk through would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time guys. I really appreciate this.

And I will be golden. If I can do that I will be unstoppable. BTW if any of you are on the Shadow Moon server you can look me up I'm on the Horde side (outnumbered 4 to 1 gotta love bein the underdog just like mac vs. pc) as Eevangelis. Thanks you guys rock. :)

topicolo
Feb 17, 2005, 10:07 PM

Maybe there is something faulty with the cooling system for the processors? If the CPUs start doing a lot of work they heat up and then if there are cooling problems (heatsink knocked loose, fan crapping out, etc), the processor will overheat and lock up the system.

kingtj
Feb 17, 2005, 10:29 PM
Oh man, this sure sounds familiar! I bought a first revision G5 dual 2.0Ghz tower last year, and had almost identical issues. It seemed to run fine most of the time other than in games. (Well, you could play the basic 2D stuff like pinball games from Little Wing fine, but not the other stuff!)

After trying practically everything, I finally discovered the culprit in my case. I had an M-Audio Delta 66 sound card in my G5 (I do a little music and MIDI stuff too.) and it wasn't getting along well with the games. As soon as I pulled the card out and just used the internal sound device, everything worked just fine again.

Your RAID array isn't using some kind of PCI or PCI-X card, is it? I wonder if it's just an interrupt-related problem with expansion cards in these systems in general? I've never tried any other cards in my G5 since the Delta 66 issues.

*can't alt-tab out or force quit. Nothing ever changes on the screen at all once this happens
hold down power button and restart the G5

This happened basically once or twice for every hour that I tried to play any 3d full screen game.

I was able to play Halo in a window (at 640x480, it runs pretty well) on my G5 with the desktop resolution set at 1600x1200 (native on my 21" panel) for much longer periods of time without the locking up...but it still does it sometimes.

Anyway, playing one game in a 4" window on a 21" screen isn't what I call a very exciting gaming experience.

I tried all of the obvious stuff to get my machine to work. Called apple. They suggested I try a reformat and reinstall, among other things.

Fine. Didn't help.

removed all the non-apple RAM...crashes in games happened even faster
removed the apple RAM only...crashes happened as normal
removed and replaced the grahphics card...no change
flashed the PRAM...nothing
"fixed permissions" ...nope
the list goes on...basically, it isn't worth it to me to try anymore, because even if i did get it running well, it would be at 1/2 the resolution that my PC runs it, and with the details turned off...I'd rather not have to move back and forth, but i dont' have much choice.

yellow
Feb 18, 2005, 06:13 AM
Ah HA! You're a genius. I could just kiss you. It works perfectly like that. Thank you oh so much. Now. All I need is answer to my previous question above

Download the alpha. Trash the 2 folders (AddOns and FrameXML) in your Interface foler in the WoW directory. Copy in the new ones. Done.

OR

Download the alpha. Copy the AddOns and FrameXML into your Interface folder in the WoW directory. They will overwrite the old ones. Done.

Mantat
Feb 18, 2005, 08:06 AM
Why cant people just RTFM? Its all stated in the file that you need latest version of OSX and only copy the interface folder. That is some serious laziness...

LaughingBlood
Feb 18, 2005, 05:39 PM
Why cant people just RTFM? Its all stated in the file that you need latest version of OSX and only copy the interface folder. That is some serious laziness...

Why can't people just read the posts before they respond with a flippant jerkoff post? Well if you had read the post you would understand that copying the folders into the WOW interface folder doesn't work. I actually went into quite a bit of detail about it:

I tried that. I downloaded that file. Took the 2 folders from the interface folder and copied them into my WOW interface folder. When I open WOW it prompted me with a message saying my interface is outdated. It gave me the choice of either exit or delete. I clicked exit and it just quits the game. So I reopen and click delete and that of course deletes the interface folder..

Since that didn't work someone had responded with how to patch it yourself and I wrote back asking for a more in depth explanation on how to patch something yourself since I'm unfamiliar with how to do that. As evidenced here:

So would I take downloaded alpha file and copy the Add-ons and FrameXML folder to my WOW interface folder first? Then use Sherlock to search these 2 folders for "4150" and whatever search results show up go into those files and change 4150 to 4211?

As you can see it isn't just a matter of copying the folders into the WOW interface folder as seen here as well:

http://www.cosmosui.org/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1107149777&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Moral of the story:
1) Think something through before you post.
2) Actually read what the poster said before you rant hypocritically about how someone else didn't do their reading.
3) You you look like a jerk when you call someone else out for being lazy when in fact it is you who was being lazy and not reading the full post. :)

yellow
Feb 20, 2005, 10:11 AM
I've been using Cosmos since the Stress Test and final Open Beta. I've NEVER had to do anything except copy a new version of the Cosmos directories into my WoW Interfaces directory.