PDA

View Full Version : Question about eMacs on a Network

macpixy
Nov 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
Hey Everyone,

I am experiencing an issue where my eMac computers (running 10.4.11) are randomly dropping their network connections. Unplugging the network cable and putting it back in allows them to reconnect.

My network technician wanted to know if eMac computers have a recommended lease time for the DHCP server.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MacHamster68
Nov 12, 2010, 08:11 AM
no they sure have no recommended lease time , as all 3 of mine are connected to the router since a year or so so is my iMac g3 so is my imac core duo , so is.......and never lost connection via ethernet ,or airport ,to the internet apart from the times when the server of my isp was down , but that has nothing to do with the eMac's or with the router, on the eMac's or all Mac's connecting via ethernet is straight forward really connect the cable to the router job done , enable apple talk if you want them to talk to each other , but thats about it , no rocket science behind it

and in most cases where ethernet drops its the router which needs setting up proper or replaced by a working one if setting up doesn't help, as some just dont like Mac's

macpixy
Nov 12, 2010, 08:36 AM
That's what I was thinking! Thanks so much.

macman2023
Nov 13, 2010, 04:09 PM
There is no recommended lease time officially. From experience I would guess your router is set to 24 hours, double it. Also, if your router supports it, I would recommend you statically assign each machine its IP address from the routers DHCP server. If your router does not support it, I would honestly get rid of it and get one that can. If you have a Linksys or another major brand, you may be able to put DD-WRT or something similar onto it. That is what I have done with my router and it has given my alot more control over every aspect of my network, and is what finally allowed me to troubleshoot through and solve some issues I was having similar to what you describe here by doubling my lease time and statically assigning the IP's to machines that are frequently on my network anyway. Another nice benefit of this is that games and chat and network printing and stuff like that seems to be less problimatic, prior to my statically assigning those IPs to my own machines even my own computers would sometimes loose the ability to print when their IP changed or the printer's IP changed. And if you ever get annoyed at having to reboot your modem and router if your internet seems to go out, that DD-WRT is alot more stable... I only have to reboot every couple of months now at the worst ( its been up and running 92 days at present since the last time I had to reboot ). I imagine all this will benefit you.... ask if you have questions, I have a background in computer repair and networking stuff like cisco so ya...