Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Are there any requirements for installing a solid state drive, or can any machine use one?

I'd like to install one in my 2006 MBP to make it a little snappier.

If so, any recommendations as to what brands/stores I should buy from?

Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yes, you can. Just remember that your Mac has SATA 1.5Gb/s which is slower than 3Gb/s what can be found from SSDs and new Macs so you won't be able to the full advantage. It's still worth it though as you get the ultra-low latency.

What capacity are you looking for? OCZ Vertex 2 is a good drive for its price

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Yes, you can. Just remember that your Mac has SATA 1.5Gb/s which is slower than 3Gb/s what can be found from SSDs and new Macs so you won't be able to the full advantage. It's still worth it though as you get the ultra-low latency.

What capacity are you looking for? OCZ Vertex 2 is a good drive for its price

I replaced the original 80 GB drive with a 320 GB drive, and I'd like to retain that space.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I replaced the original 80 GB drive with a 320 GB drive, and I'd like to retain that space.

Consider an optibay. You can keep your 320GB (or larger) drive and put a (smaller) SSD in place of the optical drive. A 60GB would be around $100-125.

How much RAM does your machine currently have?

kramer3d

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I have the same macbook and I would like to upgrade my harddrive to SSD as well. The MBP1,1 has a SATA I slot right? Can anyone recommend any specific SSDs which are 64GB or 128GB? Newegg seems to only have SATAII for sale. Would they work for my MBP? Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have the same macbook and I would like to upgrade my harddrive to SSD as well. The MBP1,1 has a SATA I slot right? Can anyone recommend any specific SSDs which are 64GB or 128GB? Newegg seems to only have SATAII for sale. Would they work for my MBP? Thanks.

SATA is backwards compatible so ANY SATA HD with proper dimensions will work. As I said above, my recommendation is OCZ Vertex 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.