PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Down-Market Gamble

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 10:45 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: Apple\'s Down-Market Gamble (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113114510)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

24C
Jan 13, 2005, 01:17 PM
BW quote "Apple ended up in the high end of the PC business. Even now, the cheapest iMac costs $1,300, roughly double the price of an average PC. The Mac mini fulfills that original promise."

The iMac G5 is hardly an average computer, when are these guys gonna get it.

"Also, this may be a classic "up-sell" opportunity. If consumers buy the cheap iPod Shuffle and want more capacity or features, such as navigation between songs, they may pony up for the more expensive models."

AFAIK, it's more likely to work the other way...I have a 3G iPod, but when the iPod shuffle was launched...I bought one cos it's a thumb drive that plays music, is inexpensive and reasonably tough.

They also fail to see the economics of Apple's predicament, in that small market share equals small numbers and poor economies of scale compared to other PC manufacturers. Haven't they noticed, that when Apple gets or projects for marketshare ...the prices get lower.

painimies
Jan 13, 2005, 03:40 PM
BW quote "Apple ended up in the high end of the PC business. Even now, the cheapest iMac costs $1,300, roughly double the price of an average PC. The Mac mini fulfills that original promise."

The iMac G5 is hardly an average computer, when are these guys gonna get it.

"Also, this may be a classic "up-sell" opportunity. If consumers buy the cheap iPod Shuffle and want more capacity or features, such as navigation between songs, they may pony up for the more expensive models."

AFAIK, it's more likely to work the other way...I have a 3G iPod, but when the iPod shuffle was launched...I bought one cos it's a thumb drive that plays music, is inexpensive and reasonably tough.

They also fail to see the economics of Apple's predicament, in that small market share equals small numbers and poor economies of scale compared to other PC manufacturers. Haven't they noticed, that when Apple gets or projects for marketshare ...the prices get lower.

Yep, yep, and yep.