PDA

View Full Version : Apple posts tour of Tiger's newest look and features

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 10:45 AM
Category: Apple Software
Link: Apple posts tour of Tiger\'s newest look and features (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113114517)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

shambolic
Jan 13, 2005, 11:17 AM
Amusingly, the Safari RSS part of the tour includes the Forbes "Apple bites the fans that feed it" story about the TS lawsuit, pulled from IpodLounge's RSS feed. (About 3/4 of the way through the quicktime video)

I'm a little surprised that a story with such a negative slant would be proudly displayed as part of the Tiger demo...

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 11:59 AM
Oops! :D

I really like where Tiger is headed.

But I also have to say, Apple is headed into some weird territory with look and feel. Fragmented. Not enough for me to hate it, but not Apple's best work. Each different look is good--and useful--but why confuse people, and why dilute the GUI "brand"? That's... Windows-like!

Look at the new Mail... yet ANOTHER toolbar style? I would have though Safari's glass look and the icon look from Prefs and the old Mail would have been enough. Now there's some weird blend of their pro skin (Final Cut etc.) with colored icons. In graphite--despite the UI being set to blue. And on the left is a bar in BETWEEN graphite and blue. Odd. And don't get me started on the widgets. They look useful, and some of them look "good" in a sense... but they can be fun and colorful yet still have, say, normal OS X scrollbars!

I think there are a few too many places in Tiger--so far--where things that DO the same thing don't LOOK the same. Too much visual variety where there's no meaning behind it--as though different developers without visual guidelines developed different parts. And oddly, that seems to be increasing rather than settling down. And it seems like that's somewhat final, if Apple's revealing those new looks to the world now.

A minor quibble, I suppose, when the functionality is amazing, and the look-and-feel is still the best out there. But I don't like the trend, and I REALLY hope Apple unifies things better! How about one or two toolbar styles, not three or four? How about two or three list styles, not five or six? Variation when the FUNCTION is different is fine. So is changing things from Panther to Tiger. And some apps can be unique (I don't mind GarageBand) for the sake of novelty--or even function. But having so much mixing of looks in Tiger without a reason rubs me the wrong way, just because I know Apple CAN do better.

My check for $129 is still written :D Hurry up, Apple!

mainstreetmark
Jan 13, 2005, 12:36 PM
I'm with you on all that, man.

I was fine with the metal interface being for real-world digital stuff, like iTunes, and calculators, but I felt that Safari going metal was just because it was kind of nifty looking, and not really for any other valid reason. The guideline on using Metal got changed from "If it acts like a physical device" to "if you feel like it"

Are we getting rid of drawers?

The new XCode will answer all the questions we have about how these new toolbars work, or perhaps some developer with (legal) Tiger XCode can answer that for us.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 01:04 PM
Why is SpotLight a round blue button, I don't like it. Make it an Aqua Icon Button, like the Apple Aqua Icon button. That just looks ugly.

Steve Jobs, liked the whole idea of the Dock and now DashBoard. he seemed to have a lot of fun with it during the Keynote. :)

Does this mean no more Calculator.app, AddressBook.app, etc.... Since DashBoard takes care of all this, or do you still need the XYZ.app and DashBoard just accesses the database of the given application. :)

I much rather get rid of Calculator.app and have DashBoard handle this and other "mini applications". :)

Mail.app, QT7, and the other applications look nice as well. :)

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 01:04 PM
The new XCode will answer all the questions we have about how these new toolbars work, or perhaps some developer with (legal) Tiger XCode can answer that for us.

I cannot wait for XCode 2. :)

xsedrinam
Jan 13, 2005, 03:33 PM
I'll buy it if only for the "Smart Box" feature in Spotlight Mail. What a relief of mail management that'll be. ;)
X

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 03:52 PM
The guideline on using Metal got changed from "If it acts like a physical device" to "if you feel like it"

Are we getting rid of drawers?

The pattern to me makes more sense than either: metal is for compact apps that do a simple thing such as "viewers"--like Calculator, iTunes, Safar, Finder. White is for "workspaces" where you create (the tradional document-centric Open/Save type of app). Some apps fall in the middle--Mail, QuickTime, etc. But that does seem to be the trend. It's not consistent yet, but metal vs. white is at least a bit better now (Panther) than it was. (And I like the metal look for Safari--it sets the toolbar apart from the white of most pages.)

Drawers are staying I believe, but I do think they were used in places where they shouldn't be. They should be used for "extras"--not fundamental stuff like your mailboxes. Moving the drawer inside the Mail window makes sense to me. Keeping the drawer for stuff like Preview thumbnails is good though.

nagromme
Jan 13, 2005, 03:55 PM
Does this mean no more Calculator.app, AddressBook.app, etc.... Since DashBoard takes care of all this, or do you still need the XYZ.app and DashBoard just accesses the database of the given application. :)

That would be cool, but the widgets don't do everything those apps do. The new calculator will have graphing etc., Address Book is where you create/edit entries, print labels, etc.... The widgets give you quick access to SOME of that.

You know, I think I could even stomach Dashboard better if they'd just re-do the Calculator. I can even live with orange, but that orange around white thing just looks cheap and bad to me!

I'll adapt.

sigamy
Jan 13, 2005, 10:46 PM
I agree. Tiger's visuals seem to be all over the place. It started with Dashboard and now Spotlight and Mail.

I kind of miss Jaguar's look. Remember when Aqua was "lickable"?

Heck, is the GUI even called Aqua anymore? Panther removed a bunch of eye candy in order to speed up the UI. I wonder where we are going with these changes in Tiger.

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 10:55 PM
That would be cool, but the widgets don't do everything those apps do. The new calculator will have graphing etc., Address Book is where you create/edit entries, print labels, etc.... The widgets give you quick access to SOME of that.

You know, I think I could even stomach Dashboard better if they'd just re-do the Calculator. I can even live with orange, but that orange around white thing just looks cheap and bad to me!

I'll adapt.

I believe all DashBoard is to those applications is an alias or quick launch that stay active. Bummer I was hoping for some sort of replacement. :(

You do not have to worry about the Orange and White in the calculator under DashBoard since you can open/edit the file like a web page/css/javascript, and change the colour values. :)

nagromme
Jan 14, 2005, 01:58 AM
You can't change color codes for the calculator... but you COULD re-skin it by changing the image files.

I'm sure lots of widget skins will appear :)

LimitedEdition
Jan 14, 2005, 02:55 AM
I'm glad the Spotlight button has changed to not be a whole blue corner.
The new Mail feature where Photos get sucked in to iPhoto is also very nice.

Diatribe
Jan 14, 2005, 03:06 AM
The funny thing is that with some GUI changes Apple is actually trying to get consistency in (changing the mailboxes to the left-hand side for example) while with other changes they are moving away from it. Weird.

wdlove
Jan 14, 2005, 11:40 AM
I think that Spotlight should be awesome. It will be nice to have the ability to look for all items on the hard drive.