Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
OK, I was getting tired of my stupid belkin54g router that kept dropping connections, so I went and got a new linksys wireless G router. I popped in the CD, followed all the instructions and when I get to the end of the install it says that the configuration was successful, but it could not verify an internet connection.

I figure it's just a hiccup and try to connect with my laptop via airport- success! I get my homepage. But then, I can't get to any other page at all. It says it can't find the page, but my network connection in system preferences says I'm connected. I go to my desktop which has the hardwire connection and I can't get on the internet at all, but again, my network connection in system preferences says I'm connected- green light, IP address and all.

So I figured I did something wrong and restored the factory settings on the router. Same thing happens again. WTF? This should have been easy. What the hell is wrong with this thing?

It should be noted that if I type in my IP address, the router info comes up immediately. I am also just connecting my modem to my desktop to post now. My internet connection works fine.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
For some reason, some cable modems will only talk to a single device that's identified by a MAC address. You may need to clone your Mac's MAC (12-hex-digits) address onto the Linksys router.

(Note, this may not be the case, unless you configured your Belkin to clone your MAC address. I had this problem and ended up having to reset the configuration of my Cable modem to accept my move from my Linksys modem to my Time Capsule.)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
For some reason, some cable modems will only talk to a single device that's identified by a MAC address. You may need to clone your Mac's MAC (12-hex-digits) address onto the Linksys router.

(Note, this may not be the case, unless you configured your Belkin to clone your MAC address. I had this problem and ended up having to reset the configuration of my Cable modem to accept my move from my Linksys modem to my Time Capsule.)

I have a DSL connection. Does that make a difference?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Wow, so I was chatting on line with a support person for the last two hours and got dropped again. No, I was not rude. I really wanted this thing to work. The customer support is pathetic. I always thought Cisco had a good rep. Well, not after this. I'm sending the router back. I'd rather put up with my crappy Belkin than deal with people who think "system preferences" is in the "go" menu.

I'm not kidding. That's what we spent 15 minutes on. I finally asked, "Do you just want my network stuff"? They said, "Oh, Yeah." OMG. I wasted that much time when all they wanted were my network settings.

BTW- after all that, they ignored the fact that the router was not working and I had to disconnect it to get online. I was like, "How is this helpful when the router is disconnected?" They wanted me to connect the router and keep talking. :rolleyes:

Really? Are people this stupid? I already told them that the damn thing would not let me connect, hardwired or not and that I had to disconnect it to get on line. Wow.

sixcorners

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
You have your ip address, does the router have it's ip address (externally)? is there a router status page? Are you able to connect by connecting your computer directly to the DSL modem?

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I have a DSL connection. Does that make a difference?

Do you need to use PPPoE, or possibly, reduce the MTU/MRU of your router to fit within the PPPoE datagram?

OK, sending the router back. That was seriously pathetic. Do not buy Cisco products folks.

I work for Cisco... but I don't work on their Linksys products. My ex-wife has a DSL+Linksys setup, and it works just fine.

Have you tried your ISP's tech support to see what needs to be configured on your router?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Do you need to use PPPoE, or possibly, reduce the MTU/MRU of your router to fit within the PPPoE datagram?

I don't even know what you're talking about. This should not be this difficult. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers. What the hell do people who are clueless do? I'm sorry, I'm just very frustrated. This should have taken 5 minutes, not a whole night and into the next day. Cisco tech support was ridiculously unhelpful as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.