Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Just ordered a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter to connect my MBA 11.6 to my TV's HDMI. Will this carry audio+video or video only?

Thanks guys

funkdoobi

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2006
if it's the official apple one, it should. if it's aftermarket, there's a chance that it wont.

the port on the air does carry sound, the varying factor is the adapter you purchased.

missed the part about dvi. dvi wont carry sound at all. you need mini display to hdmi.

Last edited:

CptAwesome

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Hi there

i hope its the Mini-DP to HDMI adapter you have ordered otherwise the mini-DVI wont work as the MBA doesn't have a Mini-DVI port

Thanks

Luke

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
How the hell can they justify selling that for $34.95 in the US, and £34.95 in the UK?! I'd expect to pay a little more, given the tax and everything, but WTF?

Yeah I know, but I live in the Netherlands...and have to pay €39,99 :confused:
What the heck, it's of great use and I'm not going to travel to the states to get it.

Remember, it's VAT/taxes included for us europeans and I guess sending that's already calculated in.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
By the way, when the starter of this thread actually has bought a micro-DVI to HDMI adapter, he bought a cat in a sack (dutch proverb) meaning he bought the wrong thing, finds out at home and gets disappointed.
Because Micro-DVI is only used in the first generation MBA's, they use Mini DisplayPort for a while now.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yeah I know, but I live in the Netherlands...and have to pay €39,99 :confused:
What the heck, it's of great use and I'm not going to travel to the states to get it.

Remember, it's VAT/taxes included for us europeans and I guess sending that's already calculated in.

I bought MDP to HDMI which supports audio for 10€ including shipping. Take a look at eBay, 40€ for a freaking adapter is ridiculous

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I bought MDP to HDMI which supports audio for 10€ including shipping. Take a look at eBay, 40€ for a freaking adapter is ridiculous

Wow, that's great! What brand may I ask? Than I can search for it.
At the moment I still use the adapter that I connected my MacBook alu unibody with, Mini-DP>DVI adapter in combination with a DVI>HDMI cable, and audio connected seperate.

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Think I bought an adapter without audio...

Does anybody know of mini-DP ---> HDMI cable, NOT adapter, that carries both video and audio...?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Wow, that's great! What brand may I ask? Than I can search for it.
At the moment I still use the adapter that I connected my MacBook alu unibody with, Mini-DP>DVI adapter in combination with a DVI>HDMI cable, and audio connected seperate.

I bought it from huuto.net (similar to eBay but is Finnish). I can't remember what the brand was :(

I think it was this, at least the package and look is very similar

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
This discussion came up in the MBP forum, too. A poster there posted a Best Buy link to one for $19.99, which he represented will work. Note that one of the product features listed there is that it supports audio if the laptop does. Of course, the new MBAs' mini display port does support audio, so the Best Buy adapter should work with MBAs just as it does with late model MBPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.