Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
I'm soon to be Mac person after being pc for many years
Verizon says my dsl is maxed at 1.5Mbps and I can only watch youtube at 240p without it pausing all the time at anything higher than 360p
Is there a way to use Apple TV to improve my youtube experience?
I'm under the impression Apple TV is only good if you have a very high speed internet connection
Also is there a way to download youtube/netfix videos locally on my Mac Mini then watch later - instead of streaming
I'm afraid streaming is out of the question for me with my current internet speed
Any advice is welcome - Thanks

phillydogg28

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
I wouldnt use youtube as a gage for you internet speed, I get 22 mbps and youtube still doesnt load videos without me waiting, its youtube, they are terrible, a good way to test you speed is go to netflix on your mac mini and see if it can stream a show without any problems. If that works then streaming would work without any problems on the apple tv.

The only way to really get shows off of netflix would be to get the dvds from them and then rip them, idk the legality of that but i know some friends who do that. ;)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm soon to be Mac person after being pc for many years
Verizon says my dsl is maxed at 1.5Mbps and I can only watch youtube at 240p without it pausing all the time at anything higher than 360p
Is there a way to use Apple TV to improve my youtube experience?
I'm under the impression Apple TV is only good if you have a very high speed internet connection
Also is there a way to download youtube/netfix videos locally on my Mac Mini then watch later - instead of streaming
I'm afraid streaming is out of the question for me with my current internet speed
Any advice is welcome - Thanks

One thing about the Apple TV is that it doesn't matter how slow your internet speed is, you will always get the highest quality because it downloads and buffers video to its 8GB storage. The downside is that with slow internet speeds you might have long wait times until you can start playing videos. But once you start it, there shouldn't be any pauses or waits and it should be the same quality as if you had higher internet speeds.

If you don't want the longer download/buffer times, there is an option in settings to get the SD versions instead of HD all the time. I know it applies to iTunes content but it probably applies to youtube video as well. By the way, the Youtube experience on the Apple TV is best I have seen yet. Even better than Google's own Google TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.