PDA

View Full Version : Dead Ibook? Or just malfunctioning OS?

spider-mac
Nov 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
I have a 5 year old Ibook G4, which I belive just quit on me 4 nights ago.

Ive had problems with it the last couple of months, like spotlight not longer working, the wifi indicatior, batteri indicator and the clock dissapeard from the top hand right corner.. and could not seem to get them turned on again.

What happend; I was going to watch a movie with VLC, which kept switching itself of, I tried to restart it several times, but to no help. I then restarted the whole computer, but it would not boot up to the OS, but instead it was a black screen with a few lines written, but it did not stay on long enough that I could see what was written.

Afterwards the window with MacOSX is starting up.. and the regular light blue screen. Then the MacOSX "tablet" dissapeard, and all that where visible was the light blue screen, and the mouse courser.. I could not turn up or down the brighness of the screen, nor would the volume. I restartet the machine 3-4 times but the same results.

Tried the morning after, but to no use.

I did download a Flash blocker program 2 days prioer to this happening, but I dont think that would "kill" of the Mac.

I did try to restart it after some advice on another board, with holding the Shift button in.. this is what happend.

Darwin/BSD(m192k.studeby.ntnu.no)(console)
login:
password:

Then I wrote some jibberish as login and password.. it just keeps repeating itself over and over again.

I pulled out the network cable, and restart.. and this appears:

Uninet: monitor linkstatus, link is down

My name - ibook - g4. local (console)
Login:
Password:

And again.. it just repeats itself.

Also, I held in apple+s and wrote /sbin/fsck - fy, let it run through and it said: Found 34 files, should be 35. HD was sucessfully reparied. Mac HD appears OK. Then I rebooted.

No luck.. all that happens is I get the light blue screen, and the mouse courser.. which works fine..

What has happend to my machine? Is it dead? It's only 5 years old.. it has had such a short life...

MacinDan
Nov 14, 2010, 12:52 AM
Try starting it up with a system CD. If it boots, you know it's a hard drive problem--either the system needs reinstalling or the hard drive needs to be replaced.

spider-mac
Nov 14, 2010, 05:36 AM
Weeell.. then we have a problem. I think I might have lost that CD when I moved 2 years ago.

Soo..

MacHamster68
Nov 15, 2010, 05:57 PM
sooo.....you need to buy one again .....sorted ;)

the install disc is a vital part of a Mac , never lose it

spider-mac
Mar 5, 2011, 09:29 AM
Now, I have tried restarting the machine again, just to try to find out what was appearing on the screen after I typed in user name and password.. that I never have used btw.

Oh, I could not enter a password, just hit enter, and this appeared:

Jan 1 01:01:21 my name-ibook-g4 /system/library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

Result.. blue screen, functioning mouse.. nothing else.

NZed
Mar 5, 2011, 03:51 PM
What has happend to my machine? Is it dead? It's only 5 years old.. it has had such a short life...

5 years for a notebook is not short... especially an iBook. of course you can get it up to more than 5 years, but the average life span of an apple notebook with everyday usage is about 4-5 years

4JNA
Mar 5, 2011, 05:33 PM
dead/dying hard drive.

you might be able to repair the hard drive from optical boot, or you may need to reload, but either way you are going to need the cd/dvd.

even if you get the cd/dvd and the repair the hard drive, it will be temporary fix. i still think you are looking at replacing the hard drive if you want to keep using the laptop. best of luck.

goMac
Mar 5, 2011, 06:12 PM
Sounds like a dying hard drive.

Either way you need that install cd.

MacHamster68
Mar 5, 2011, 06:53 PM
buy a tiger disc of ebay or craiglist , or if you want to spend the money then get a leopard disc from there , but RETAIL discs , not the grey disc's , as they are model specific and wont work on other models and just forget torrents as a option from the start

hansolo669
Mar 8, 2011, 11:01 AM
5 years for an ibook is awsome, considering most have, by now, encountered the fatal graphics separation issue (gfx stops working and the laptop is useless without an expensive motherboard replacement)

anyway, it shounds like your lucky and you just need a new hard drive. im guessing that you havent replaced it these 5 years. some good places to look are:
OWC (macsales.com)
newegg (newegg.com)
tigerdirect (tigerdirect.com)

for all of those links find the Hard Drive section, then look for IDE hard disks *important* your ibook can only use IDE drives dont try and buy a SATA disk.