Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
I've been searching for about half an hour and all I can find are videos on how to repair my screen (which I can't be bothered to do), cases that protect the back of the phone, cases that apply a thin protective film to the front of the phone (presumably pretty tricky to apply to a broken screen).

Can somebody please recommend a case for an iphone 3G that will hold my damaged screen together?

Thanks.

Nokaoi

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
I've been searching for about half an hour and all I can find are videos on how to repair my screen (which I can't be bothered to do), cases that protect the back of the phone, cases that apply a thin protective film to the front of the phone (presumably pretty tricky to apply to a broken screen).

Can somebody please recommend a case for an iphone 3G that will hold my damaged screen together?

Thanks.
Google is your friend!!

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-an-iPhone-3G-Screen

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
nicane,

I don't think that such a thing as a case that will hold together a broken screen exists. The best that I could say to do is to either use one of the videos that you saw and repair your screen or have it done by a pro.

If you really want to go with a phone with a broke screen, then I suggest you look at an Otterbox Defender case. I believe they were made for the 3G phone, but if not I know that they were made for the 3GS phone because I had one.

The Otterbox Defender is the strongest most durable case you can put an iPhone in short of a safety deposit box. I completely surrounds the phone and has a built in screen cover. It is not cheap. It may be cheaper or smarter use of your recourses to repair the screen.

Good luck in what ever you do.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005

I think you misread my post.

nicane,

I don't think that such a thing as a case that will hold together a broken screen exists. The best that I could say to do is to either use one of the videos that you saw and repair your screen or have it done by a pro.

If you really want to go with a phone with a broke screen, then I suggest you look at an Otterbox Defender case. I believe they were made for the 3G phone, but if not I know that they were made for the 3GS phone because I had one.

The Otterbox Defender is the strongest most durable case you can put an iPhone in short of a safety deposit box. I completely surrounds the phone and has a built in screen cover. It is not cheap. It may be cheaper or smarter use of your recourses to repair the screen.

Good luck in what ever you do.

Cheers. i came across that one already. It certainly seems to be the most robust of the popular cases. I had not managed to figure out if it had a screen protector or not.

Thanks for your help.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I think you misread my post.

Cheers. i came across that one already. It certainly seems to be the most robust of the popular cases. I had not managed to figure out if it had a screen protector or not.

Thanks for your help.

I used to have the otterbox defender case for the 3G and it does have a screen protector build in to the case itself. That case was so tough you could do anything to it and your phone will come out without a scratch ;).

crazytiger86

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
May I suggest just covering the front in shipping or clear cello tape (of course, cutting out a bit for the button)?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
iSkin Revo is probably your best bet. Has a plastic cover on the front of the phone. This or an Otterbox Defender but that only has a small film that goes over the front of your screen.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I got a cheap set of mirror screen protectors off amazon because that's what she wanted.

I may yet try and fix the screen. It certainly seems to be a very different scenario from when she broke my original 2G iPhone screen. Back then, the only guide on how to replace it was by a guy who spent 8 hours removing the original screen with a razor blade and had loads of comments at the bottom from people who broke the touchscreen sensor trying to imitate his method. I spent £30 on a replacement screen from China and then never tried to put it on.

Nevertheless, the crack is only in the corner, so the screen is 85% fine. Its just that it hurts to run your finger over that bit. And I'd rather live with it than go to the trouble of fixing it, considering her phenomenal track record:

i) borrowed my first iPhone for a day and smashed it by 9am
ii) got handed down my 2nd iPhone and lost it before I'd even gotten around to getting it unlocked and putting a simcard in it
iii) got handed down my 3rd iPhone and broke the screen, albeit having managed an encouraging 3 months of heavy use without incident

So fixing it will probably be more of a Christmas gift...

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
What about a regular screen protector? It should stick to your screen and hold it together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.