Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentry1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
I have a Mac Mini running OS X 10.6.5, and a Windows Vista SP2 laptop. I sync my iPhone to the Mini, so all my photos and videos are saved there.

Now, I want to be able to access the Mini from Vista on the laptop.
Windows Sharing is on, and in Vista I select Run-> "\\192.168.1.100" (the IP address of the Mini), and an explorer window pops up asking me for a password.

I enter the password for the administrator account I use to log in on the Mini, "user1" and "blahblah", where "user1" is the user ID, not the name associated with the account, i.e. "John Doe".

Annnnd... nothing. I keep getting a message that Windows is unable to log me in.

What am I missing here?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have a Mac Mini running OS X 10.6.5, and a Windows Vista SP2 laptop. I sync my iPhone to the Mini, so all my photos and videos are saved there.

Now, I want to be able to access the Mini from Vista on the laptop.
Windows Sharing is on, and in Vista I select Run-> "\\192.168.1.100" (the IP address of the Mini), and an explorer window pops up asking me for a password.

I enter the password for the administrator account I use to log in on the Mini, "user1" and "blahblah", where "user1" is the user ID, not the name associated with the account, i.e. "John Doe".

Annnnd... nothing. I keep getting a message that Windows is unable to log me in.

What am I missing here?
Read this guide, here. If you still have questions, please post them!

sentry1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Read this guide, here. If you still have questions, please post them!

I have everything configured as in the guide. I actually used an updated guide on About.com that had all the options updated for 10.6.

Windows Sharing is enabled on the mac, I have enabled the accounts by checking them in the sharing box, and my Vista laptop does try to connect to the Mac. It's just that authentication (using the id/password stored on the mac) never goes through.

It worked in the past, before the 10.6.4 update was installed, so I may just have to resort to reinstalling OS X to see if it avoids some obscure setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.