Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielSim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Hey guys,

I've been having some issues with a 2010 Mini server (stock 4gb with no modifications) It's crashing at least daily, sometimes greyscreen panics, sometimes retaining mouse input, but nothing responding that requires disk use. (You can move windows around etc but not load anything that isn't already visible or interact with finder)

I've had issues with one of the hard drives before with it disappearing from disk utility (even booted into command line) , and system profiler giving a "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices" error.

I've had it in at the genius bar before, they found nothing wrong and had the drives mount fine. I had put it down to a lose connection as the guy said he had reseated the drives and had no problems.

Anyway, like I said its been crashing pretty much daily so I decided to bite the bullet and erase & reinstall the OS, and that led me to new error logs to work with!

What do you think? I should also note it was installed from a usb superdrive (the ones which came out with the Macbook Air's)

error log file: http://d.pr/xYok

DanielSim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks Madd,

I was booted/installing from the server dvd, hence the older version. Since that failed, I have tried target disk-ing the mini and inspecting it from another mac, which hasn't been able to get much out of one of the drives. I had to stop spotlight from trying to index it or it would just crash spotlight & the finder lol.

I've installed and updated SL Server on the "good" drive and have been poking the other drive to see if I can find what's wrong with it. The suspect drive verifies fine, though it takes over two minutes (and it's empty), as opposed to verifying the boot drive which takes 20 seconds.

I'm zeroing the suspect drive at the moment to see if that makes a difference, and see if I can even write to the whole drive!

Thanks,

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.