PDA

View Full Version : ipod nano 7th gen? :)

cankid96
Nov 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
So i like the 6th gen and the whole fashion accessory/ mini touch screen player that apple's trying to market it as, but they left out too many features for a player that had a good market, to turn it into a completly different product with a slightly different market.

Soooo I'm hoping by next year, apple will create the iWatch and the ipod nano, creating 2 differnet products.
My personal wish list features of the nano would be
-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-longer and more of a candybar shape :cool:
-thin, smooth, minimalistic design with volume buttons, lock/power button
-if its small enough to have a clip, keep it, if not, lose it
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res
-video playback!!!:)
-ability to choose backround... :p
-an IOS lite type of UI or a completly different UI cuz I'm bored by the bland grid type UI
-possible App Store compatibility for some/half of the apps :D

And thats all i can think of, do u guys have any other ideas?

wywern209
Nov 13, 2010, 11:06 PM
So i like the 6th gen and the whole fashion accessory/ mini touch screen player that apple's trying to market it as, but they left out too many features for a player that had a good market, to turn it into a completly different product with a slightly different market.

Soooo I'm hoping by next year, apple will create the iWatch and the ipod nano, creating 2 differnet products.
-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res
-an IOS lite type of UI or a completly different UI cuz I'm bored by the bland grid type UI

so you just want a ipod touch...

My name is Alex
Nov 14, 2010, 12:25 AM

+1. If you want more functionality, get the touch. If you want a music player alone, the nano is your best and coolest pick.

Shaneuk
Nov 14, 2010, 05:29 AM

Haha.

You'll be able to change the background soon anyway, if someone comes up with a jailbreak for it or apple comes up with firmware update. If someone comes up with a jailbreak no doubt they'll enable video playback on it, I see it as pretty pointless because the screen is so small.

hcho3
Nov 14, 2010, 08:33 AM
You can choose background... right now on Nano. Are you talking about adding your own?

Also, all of those features are available on iPod touch or iPhone. Apple is not a company that likes to make things bigger and thicker. This company always look for a way to make it smaller and thinner.

Next iPod nano will be very minor update like more memory and add bluetooth. Maybe slightly bigger screen, but that is in very doubt as well. Speaker? yea.. no thx. The sound will be crap.

Brucewl
Nov 16, 2010, 01:18 AM
I think the higher resolution is not necessary if the screen is small...

Kaeso
Dec 29, 2010, 11:49 AM

Well said.
My idea for the new nano is to keep the current size but go totally wireless. Ditch the 30pin connector and have wireless sync and charging, and get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack and use bluetooth only. Also It would be nice to have a removable clip.

cankid96
Dec 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well said.
My idea for the new nano is to keep the current size but go totally wireless. Ditch the 30pin connector and have wireless sync and charging, and get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack and use bluetooth only. Also It would be nice to have a removable clip.

wow that won't happen for at least.... 5 years im guessing. The bluetooth could happen for the next gen but wirless sync and charging, :rolleyes:

Of course im talking about without the use of other accessories/products like powermat

ARTniyet
May 24, 2011, 09:08 AM
it will be nice that using different watch applications in the next gen. so there will be one device "n" watches...

samywamy10
May 27, 2011, 07:21 AM
I think a widescreen format with a higher resolution screen would be good for videos. You could still have it in the watch format...just a wide watch.

Rick America
Jun 2, 2011, 03:27 PM
If they simply added an external buzzer for the alarm clock, I'd be all in. I don't need an external speaker.

Armeniandave
Jun 16, 2011, 09:14 PM
Really want bluetooth for the gym.
That is the only thing holding me back.

irishtike
Jun 17, 2011, 12:57 PM
Bluetooth seems like the best way to upgrade for apple, but you have to take into account some other features. mainly the FM Radio, it uses the cord of the headphones as its antenna, you put bluetooth in it and they have to find a new place for the antenna, or remove the FM Radio feature altogether (something apple has no problem with doing i.e the nanos video camera and playback).

SeattleMoose
Jun 17, 2011, 02:29 PM
The 5th was just about perfect in every way. Apple thru out the baby with the bathwater when they "shufflized" the Nano and eliminated just about everything that made the 5G so great.

The 5G was deliberately "gutted" to drive people towards the Touch. The 5G was a case of being a bit "too good" for its place in the iPod family. Which would have been ok when Apple was still run by engineers, and not by busyness types.

iEvolution
Jun 18, 2011, 07:31 PM
The 5th was just about perfect in every way. Apple thru out the baby with the bathwater when they "shufflized" the Nano and eliminated just about everything that made the 5G so great.

The 5G was deliberately "gutted" to drive people towards the Touch. The 5G was a case of being a bit "too good" for its place in the iPod family. Which would have been ok when Apple was still run by engineers, and not by busyness types.

Yeah they've pretty much stopped doing anything with the iPod line..downgraded the features of the iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle is the same design as it was 5 years ago, and the iPod Classic is the same for 4 years now.

Apple is only interested in the iPod Touch it seems as far as iPods go..real shame for those of us that are simply interested in a multimedia device rather than a internet/application device.

Next year we won't see a capacity upgrade to the nano, the classic MIGHT get the 220GB hard drive and the iPod touch will get most of the updates.

If it wasn't for the fact a good chunk of my iTunes purchases are DRM I would probably be looking for a alternative for a music player.

All this being said I really dig the 6th gen nano, though I'm all about music. Its really not all that difficult to use it on the fly. Definitely my favorite of the nano line. Only thing I'm interested in now is the elusive 32GB capacity bump and a bit of a increase of screen size.

I have a iPod touch but for music its just horrible. If they added two seek buttons to the iPod touch it'd be a game changer, in fact I'd probably use it as a primary music player rather than a app device.

Islandz
Jun 28, 2011, 03:02 AM
Bluetooth, more apps (Calculator, Calendar), front-facing camera for wifi FaceTime

Le Buzz
Jun 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
I am really looking forward to the new 7th gen nano. I think apple has something up it's sleeves for this one. This is a company that continues to amaze us.

I don't think this is a product that apple will just "let die" as some have led to believe. What I want and think (hope is more like it?) might happen in Sept:

- wifi (with iCloud now this seems like a no-brainer)
- bluetooth
- ability to run music apps like pandora, rhapsody. I hate having to use my iphone for these apps. Let's face it, as awesome as the touch/iphone are, they are just too big.
- wider screen and video playback
- better backgrounds and a better high contrast setting (I hate how the album covers look on the current nano under this setting)

Among other little things but these are the main ones.

They also need to bring back the black and white nano. I actually emailed apple about this. Not many options for guys right now other than silver.

gpat
Jun 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
Bluetooth, with ability to get your music from your iphone, either locally stored tracks or the ones on iTunes Cloud.

appleguy123
Jun 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
It should have the resolution of the first iPhone, and be able to run apps. That's all I think should be changed.

k0m4r1k
Jun 29, 2011, 03:37 PM

-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res

I think they should make a new version of the classic ( I know, classic means classic!) with a speaker, camera(if they dont mess it up!!!) and thinner design. And typical apple repertoire of putting like a billion TB of memory.:cool:

CHSeifert
Jul 6, 2011, 03:14 AM
I just bought the Nano 6.th Touch 16 GB in golden orange and only thing I would like in the 7.th generation would be:

1. 32 GB storage
2. High resolution screen for better looking album art

I ONLY bought my Nano for use in the gym. Even though Bluetooth would be nice, I still like to listen to FM radio, and since the headphone chord is the antenna and Bluetooth headphones need recharging - I don't want this feature in this small music/radio device.

Video playback - get an iPod Touch or an iPhone !!!!

I like that the new Nano Touch is small, lightweight and has great batterylife. It's a true MUSIC player, PERFECT for the gym.

In all other situations than at the gym, I ALWAYS ALWAYS carry my iPhone 4 32GB, with a loaded music library on me, so why people need to fill all these crap things in this little perfect gym music player called the iPod Nano Touch is beyond me ?!?

The iPod nano Touch is perfect as it is for the gym. Please Apple don't ruin it !!

CHSeifert
Jul 6, 2011, 03:18 AM
They also need to bring back the black and white nano. I actually emailed apple about this. Not many options for guys right now other than silver.

I'm a grown man, and my iPad is black, my iPhone is black, my MBA is silver, my iMac is silver, my thinkpad worklaptop is black.

What a relief to FINALLY get something other than black, silver and black !!!!!

Bought the orange IPod Nano Touch 16GB - and it looks awesome in the golden orange color, perfect for the gym :)

Nice fresh color - guys over 40 just looks so pale in their conservative insecure color choices - black, grey, White and blue !!

Not saying all men should wear pink and yellow, but let's lighten up a bit ;)

hcho3
Jul 7, 2011, 09:54 PM
iPod nano will stay in this design for a long time.

Apple will probably add something to support iCloud. So, this will allow iPod nano to be compatible with iCloud, wireless sync and wireless charge.

Other than that... don't expect anything else.

Le Buzz
Jul 8, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'm a grown man, and my iPad is black, my iPhone is black, my MBA is silver, my iMac is silver, my thinkpad worklaptop is black.

What a relief to FINALLY get something other than black, silver and black !!!!!

Bought the orange IPod Nano Touch 16GB - and it looks awesome in the golden orange color, perfect for the gym :)

Nice fresh color - guys over 40 just looks so pale in their conservative insecure color choices - black, grey, White and blue !!

Not saying all men should wear pink and yellow, but let's lighten up a bit ;)

----
Vh/Regards
Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4

The golden orange/yellow is a good color, i actually considered it... but still it would be SWEEEEET to have a white nano again. Also, even though black is overkill it never goes out of style.

CHSeifert
Jul 9, 2011, 04:15 AM
The golden orange/yellow is a good color, i actually considered it... but still it would be SWEEEEET to have a white nano again. Also, even though black is overkill it never goes out of style.

I do certainly agree with you - black will NEVER go out of style !
And a White Nano would be sweet, problem is that for my use - mainly use my Nano for the gym - the White would get dirty very fast. I lift weights and use Technogym machines and even though I use the 'Postmen finger gloves', my fingers still get dirty from touching the handles. So quite satisfied I got the golden orange Nano.

I've already have a couple of women approaching me and complementing the Nano and asking me how I like it :) They all carry their iPhone 4 or iPod Touch and I've seen plenty drop them on the floor, while on the cross trainer/cycle/running machine.

IPod Touch and iPhones are great devices - just not while working out in the gym or running in the woods/park in my experience !

I do think the graphite Nano Touch looks pretty elegant in an understated way though and I almost ordered that, until I saw the orange Nano was more golden than plain orange :)

Bigsargewaymo7
Jul 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
See I disagree with a lot of people about what the new iPod Nano 7th Gen needs. I don't want a camera... It was only 1.3 Megapixel anyways. what am I going to do with that when i have my iPhone right there beside me? Plus the new iPone is going to have an 8 Megapixel camera with HD recording anyways... Leave the camera out of it! By far the two best things about the iPod Nano 6th Gen is that clip is friggin awesome and the touch screen is great for adding songs to playlist on the go. I also thought it was a little too pricey but oh well.

I though that Apple almost had the perfect iPod Nano with the 6th Gen however they failed at a few things that not only sucked for us as a user but Apple could have made a crap load more money if they included it. What is it you ask? The new iPod Nano 7th gen needs 2 things to make it perfect:

1. BUILT IN WI-FI! This would have made Apple a crap ton of money. Most gyms have wi-fi in their facility. Imagine being in the gym, working out and being able to choose weather you want music from your iPod or..... listening to Pandora, Sirius, XM or whatever app that you listen to music with. Then hearing a song that you like and want on your iPod. Well you should be able to hit the Itunes Store button and buy that sucker.... Cha Ching Itunes. Cash in on that.

2. The second thing the iPod Nano 7th gen should have to make it perfect but doesn't need is more App capability. We Apple freaks have proven ourselves to be addicted to Apps! Make more apps available to the iPod nano, make more money, and keep people happy Apple.

That's all you need to have the perfect iPod Nano, it's not rocket science just make it happen Apple!

Craig

Oh yeah P.S. I am such an Apple freak my 18 Month old daughter knows how to ask for "iPhone" or "iPad" whichever one she wants and guess what else she knows how to legitimately use em.. ie only play with her apps, knows how to watch videos, scroll through pictures and I don't even have to help her I just hand her the iPad 2 (with a skin on it of course) and let her go to town. Pretty bad ass huh?

Nicolas4ever
Jul 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
well i think that apple will make many changes,and the reason is that people don't buy the new ipod nano because is crao.
The 7th generation should have

Bigger screen
click wheel :) (im not sure)
more functionality(videio playback,even a camera)
maybe bluetooth

That's all i can think right now

amdmaxx
Jul 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
wi-fi is a cool idea
give it 32/64gb of storage
make it gen 4 format. Bring wheel back...
Keep it small, light. Love taking one to gym over ipod touch/iphone.

SlamJam12
Jul 25, 2011, 01:00 AM
Click Wheel!

WLS
Jul 25, 2011, 07:34 AM
See I disagree with a lot of people about what the new iPod Nano 7th Gen needs. I don't want a camera... It was only 1.3 Megapixel anyways. what am I going to do with that when i have my iPhone right there beside me? Plus the new iPone is going to have an 8 Megapixel camera with HD recording anyways... Leave the camera out of it! By far the two best things about the iPod Nano 6th Gen is that clip is friggin awesome and the touch screen is great for adding songs to playlist on the go. I also thought it was a little too pricey but oh well.

I though that Apple almost had the perfect iPod Nano with the 6th Gen however they failed at a few things that not only sucked for us as a user but Apple could have made a crap load more money if they included it. What is it you ask? The new iPod Nano 7th gen needs 2 things to make it perfect:

1. BUILT IN WI-FI! This would have made Apple a crap ton of money. Most gyms have wi-fi in their facility. Imagine being in the gym, working out and being able to choose weather you want music from your iPod or..... listening to Pandora, Sirius, XM or whatever app that you listen to music with. Then hearing a song that you like and want on your iPod. Well you should be able to hit the Itunes Store button and buy that sucker.... Cha Ching Itunes. Cash in on that.

2. The second thing the iPod Nano 7th gen should have to make it perfect but doesn't need is more App capability. We Apple freaks have proven ourselves to be addicted to Apps! Make more apps available to the iPod nano, make more money, and keep people happy Apple.

That's all you need to have the perfect iPod Nano, it's not rocket science just make it happen Apple!

Craig

I've heard this before but you are barking up the wrong tree!

There is no way the iPod Nano 6th gen form can do WIFI. The battery would only last a couple of hours if that. It's not gonna happen. What is possible and what you should be asking for is the new Bluetooth version 4. That is low power enough to actually be possible to use for sensors and headphones on a small device without crippling battery life.. It could happen.

The nano can't do apps cause it has a special limited version of IOS and the screen resolution is not standard. Any app like functions have to be specially designed and built in. About all that they could add is a calendar to check days of the month.
If you want WIFI and apps get a Touch!

TheSuperSteve
Jul 25, 2011, 08:59 AM
The nano can't do apps cause it has a special limited version of IOS and the screen resolution is not standard. Any app like functions have to be specially designed and built in. About all that they could add is a calendar to check days of the month. If you want apps get a Touch!

The 6th generation iPod nano does not have iOS in any shape or form. Its simply an iPod OS made to look like iOS. Nothing more.

Just saying. :p

WLS
Jul 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
The 6th generation iPod nano does not have iOS in any shape or form. Its simply an iPod OS made to look like iOS. Nothing more.

Just saying. :p
I stand corrected. It just looks like IOS at this time. Either way it can't run apps.

Le Buzz
Jul 25, 2011, 05:52 PM
There is no way the iPod Nano 6th gen form can do WIFI. The battery would only last a couple of hours if that. It's not gonna happen. What is possible and what you should be asking for is the new Bluetooth version 4.

I can definitely see the new nano getting Bluetooth 4. You're right wi-fi would be awesome but battery life would be pathetic.

littlehouse
Jul 26, 2011, 04:17 AM
bored of the cords twisting together each time I pull them out of my bag. Bluetooth version 4.0, cordless headphone with ear clips. that's fine for me.:p

Macdude2010
Jul 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
I actually think the September event will be about iOS 5 and iPhone 5 (maybe iPod Touch also) the nano is fine at the moment

I also just picked one up for $100! Sweet!

Bigsargewaymo7
Jul 30, 2011, 01:20 PM
I've heard this before but you are barking up the wrong tree!

There is no way the iPod Nano 6th gen form can do WIFI. The battery would only last a couple of hours if that. It's not gonna happen. What is possible and what you should be asking for is the new Bluetooth version 4. That is low power enough to actually be possible to use for sensors and headphones on a small device without crippling battery life.. It could happen.

The nano can't do apps cause it has a special limited version of IOS and the screen resolution is not standard. Any app like functions have to be specially designed and built in. About all that they could add is a calendar to check days of the month.
If you want WIFI and apps get a Touch!

The battery already doesn't last that long but I tell you what they can make it a tiny bit more bigger and make the battery a little better. Like I said they could make a fortune off it if people were able to purchase songs over wifi. I wouldn't get an iPod Touch because I have an iPhone and not to mention what I love about the Nano is the fact that it's small and it clips to your clothes. I got an iPhone for apps I want an iPod for music. I hate going to the gym and having an arm band that gets all hot and sweaty and stinky with this big old iPhone in it. I like just clipping the nano to the clothes. Shaking it to shuffle or putting on a playlist and pressing the Sleep/wake button twice to skip songs. Its really light and easy but could be a lot better if they wanted.

I heard rumors that they are coming back with the camera and losing the clip. If that's true than that's going to be crap because like I said I have an iPhone for pictures and videos. I don't want a crappy 1.3 MP camera then not being able to clip it to my clothes. Anyways thanks for your feedback bro.

Craig

epiciphonehack
Jul 30, 2011, 01:51 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Steve Jobs takes ideas from you guys. :)

EugenexYew
Jul 31, 2011, 08:50 AM
OH YES. WIFI PLEASE.
It's kinda stupid when iOS 5 comes out and every other Apple thingy is WIFI-SYNCING with iTunes. :|

glis
Aug 2, 2011, 06:12 AM
I want the next Nano to be a fully functional watch. That is all.

iEvolution
Aug 2, 2011, 07:52 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Steve Jobs takes ideas from you guys. :)

If that were the case we should have had 32GB capacity back in 2009.

I'm seriously annoyed that 32GB hasn't been added to the nano yet. The format of music on the iTunes Store is larger now, my library of songs rated 4+ stars exceeds the nano capacity by about 3 gigs and it gets larger every week.

I don't want to convert my music to 128kbps AAC, it increases sync times and it really sounds like crap on the nano with mid to high end head phones.

I really don't mind the current designed nano, I love the shuffle so the size is perfect and the touch screen navigation isn't as much of a pain as everyone thinks it is. I too thought the touch screen was a stupid idea until I tried it and it was a breeze..got even better with an arm band.

Only thing I'm really looking for is 32GB capacity, all other features is just icing on the cake.

CHSeifert
Aug 3, 2011, 10:46 PM
If that were the case we should have had 32GB capacity back in 2009.

I'm seriously annoyed that 32GB hasn't been added to the nano yet. The format of music on the iTunes Store is larger now, my library of songs rated 4+ stars exceeds the nano capacity by about 3 gigs and it gets larger every week.

I don't want to convert my music to 128kbps AAC, it increases sync times and it really sounds like crap on the nano with mid to high end head phones.

I really don't mind the current designed nano, I love the shuffle so the size is perfect and the touch screen navigation isn't as much of a pain as everyone thinks it is. I too thought the touch screen was a stupid idea until I tried it and it was a breeze..got even better with an arm band.

Only thing I'm really looking for is 32GB capacity, all other features is just icing on the cake.

QFT
+1

I agree ;)

bettaboy123
Aug 4, 2011, 04:25 AM
Can I just get wifi and a few small apps on this thing? It would be like the perfect iPod for me, with wifi syncing and Spotify, without giving me too many distractions from my music. If they made it slightly larger to make room, I definitely wouldn't mind. If they keep the rest the same and lower the price a bit though, I'll buy one as soon as I can buy one. :) And making it so I could use my own background to compliment my iPad's would be great too. :)

sikmen11
Sep 2, 2011, 02:24 AM
There was a leaked case design of the new nano that had it the same as the 6th but with a camera. I expect a camera. Possibly more apps and bluetooth. Higher res screen would be great. I highly doubt that they will add video support- screens too small and could take customers away from the touch. I'm betting on the camera as the most likely.

PerplexShyt
Sep 2, 2011, 08:09 AM
can anyone tell me the release date of the 6th gen? I want to get a nano to replace a watch i have that just broke. But I want to wait for the 7th gen.

if i know the date of the release of the 6th gen, I can approximate the release of th 7th, therefore, I can determine whether or not it is justifiable to hold out on purchasing the 6th gen, and wait a little while for the 7th gen. By me doing this, I also justify not having a watch, because when I get the 7th gen ipod nano, it will satisfy me to the point where I won't remember the distraught I have experienced without having a watch.

One more thing, does anyone know if the exact shape is going to change? When the 7th gen comes out, I wonder if I will have to wait for the manufacturers to make wristbands for the 7th gen, because the 6th gen wristbands won't work. I hope they do fit the 7th gen's, that way my aforementioned plan of waiting for the watch will be successful.

Actually now that I think about it, I think the lateral portion of my post will cause much more dilemma than I previously thought. What if the 7th gen won't fit 6th gen wristbands. Then the release date of the 6th gen won't matter; in turn; my initial plan to approximate the 7th gen's release date won't matter. The reason is because I will have to wait for manufacturers to obtain schematics to build their wristbands for the 7th gen.

So basically, I will have to wait for the manufacturers to build wristbands for the 7th gen IN CASE the 6th gen wristbands don't fit the 7th gen. If they do, then I will just have to wait for the 7th gen release date.

So can someone tell me the 6th gen's release date in 2010? Thanks.

Des Zac
Sep 2, 2011, 08:57 AM
can anyone tell me the release date of the 6th gen? I want to get a nano to replace a watch i have that just broke. But I want to wait for the 7th gen.

if i know the date of the release of the 6th gen, I can approximate the release of th 7th, therefore, I can determine whether or not it is justifiable to hold out on purchasing the 6th gen, and wait a little while for the 7th gen. By me doing this, I also justify not having a watch, because when I get the 7th gen ipod nano, it will satisfy me to the point where I won't remember the distraught I have experienced without having a watch.

One more thing, does anyone know if the exact shape is going to change? When the 7th gen comes out, I wonder if I will have to wait for the manufacturers to make wristbands for the 7th gen, because the 6th gen wristbands won't work. I hope they do fit the 7th gen's, that way my aforementioned plan of waiting for the watch will be successful.

Actually now that I think about it, I think the lateral portion of my post will cause much more dilemma than I previously thought. What if the 7th gen won't fit 6th gen wristbands. Then the release date of the 6th gen won't matter; in turn; my initial plan to approximate the 7th gen's release date won't matter. The reason is because I will have to wait for manufacturers to obtain schematics to build their wristbands for the 7th gen.

So basically, I will have to wait for the manufacturers to build wristbands for the 7th gen IN CASE the 6th gen wristbands don't fit the 7th gen. If they do, then I will just have to wait for the 7th gen release date.

So can someone tell me the 6th gen's release date in 2010? Thanks.

It came out on September 1st, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Nano

dqfayi
Sep 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
Due to i'm a music crazyer, iPod makes my life more fashionable and enjoyable

BornAgainMac
Sep 6, 2011, 12:12 AM
Cook will say they updated their entire iPod line and only update the iPod Touch and drop the classic and ignore the shuffle and Nano.

PETERFIX
Sep 6, 2011, 04:49 PM
hi ther! been trying for a week to make my NANO appear on MY COMPUTER ,P.C. it seems i need [meta_never_index] a MAC COMMAND FILE,apparently, any help as to where /how to find this means to access my currently useless NANO would be grately apreciated
much obliged peter

GMES29
Sep 11, 2011, 08:03 PM
so you just want a ipod touch...no, he wants a Nano - specifically one similar to Gen's 2, 4, 5. not only did they have more of a stick (candybar) design and therefore were much slimmer than the Touch but they all had a flywheel - something the Touch does not have. 2 different machines.
i know where he's coming from because i prefer the stick design myself (having owned a 2 and a 4) and wish they'd go back to it. the newest is too small and because of that always have to clip it on something to avoid losing it which i find annoying.

rgarjr
Sep 11, 2011, 10:48 PM
the newest is too small and because of that always have to clip it on something to avoid losing it which i find annoying.

I put my nano on the small pocket and fits in there perfectly.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/71075_52898463167_4373347_n.jpg

oldschool006
Sep 13, 2011, 11:13 PM
Since this is a rumors site, I'll add one I recently heard. I live in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Not the Apple capitol of the world by any stretch, but there's a great little authorized Apple Reseller/Repair store in my neighborhood. I went to price the nano yesterday and the rep. told me they were nearing the end of their stock and that his distributor told him not to buy nano's as the supply chain was being constrained and a 7th gen was in the pipe line for Oct.
If it's not announced at the Sept. event perhaps it will be quietly added in Oct>?

firky
Oct 16, 2011, 07:40 AM
Hi guys.

I registered to this site just to reply to this thread.

I think the form factor of the both the 6g and 7g iPod Nano is great as I think highly of the watch idea. Just look at the LunaTik and TikTok straps designed by Scott Wilson these are some real quality designs the defiantly compliment the iPod Nano. The Nano however could most defiantly be improved as its use as a watch grows.

A loudspeaker or buzzer should be introduced so you can set a daily alarm or even a count down timer that alarms at zero.

The Nano should also contain calendars again that made use of the loud speaker to alarm 15mins (or and amount of time you like) before your meeting. Although the screen is small you could still see a Time, location and a note for that meeting.

In creasing the storage space from 16GB to 32GB may seem over kill as the device would run flat before you played your tracks but it would reduce the need to keep chaining your playlists to suit your mood.

Increase the amount of pixels on the Nano’s screen this would make the icons, artwork and watch faces much smoother.

The four above ideas in my view seem very manageable and within apples capability's to add these features. How ever if they were to push the boat out you could add the following.

A GPS could be added along with the Nike+ section of the Nano so you could also map the roots that you have walked ran or maybe even cycled. Just like the Nike Tomtom watch.

Bluetooth may also be a possibility if it dose not drain the battery. You could sync with iTunes via Bluetooth and you would not need the 30pin socket saving space within the Nano also making it less susceptible to ingress of water/sweat or dirt/dust. You could charge the Nano via the headphone jack. Just like the iPod shuffle.

Hexiii
Oct 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
It would need much better battery.

flutterby21
Dec 4, 2011, 01:07 AM
does anyone have any idea when the 7th generation will be released? was close to buying the 6th but waiting to see if anything new comes out anytime soon...

Artep
Jan 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
Alarm clock: The 6G already has a timer so why not allow users to set a time (i.e. 6 o'clock) rather than just an elapsed time? If you use a charging system that has a speaker, you would effectively have an alarm clock. Also, add an option to play music instead of the alarm.

Calandar: The watch function already keeps track of the date. Why not add a monthly calandar function that would allow users to use the voice memo function to attach memos to future dates? Press the date and play the memo back. You could keep track of birthdays, appointments, etc.

These seem very doable and would add a great deal of functionality when using the Nano as a watch.

scoon0224
Feb 24, 2012, 02:16 AM
A 64GB Nano with Wifi, Bluetooth, Internal speaker and more powerful Apps? But nobody wants it thicker is my guess (I don't think Apple wants it much thicker either)

Space is at a premium. By ditching the headphone jack entirely, they could save room, plus miniaturization is always marching forward... so here's my look:

speaker
For alerts? What alerts? Presumably you have a phone, which undoubtedly does it better. If you're thinking "sync Nano to phone, check alerts on your wrist without pulling out phone" then you'd have TWO devices ringing.
Save the space. Speaker is not a high priority, and likely stillborn is my guess.
* maybe just for the sake of full watch functionality, what with it's Nike+ features... getting diff sounds for every 1/4, 1/2 and mile maybe, or countdowns, etc.

Apps
I'm sure the software will evolve, but I'm not expecting any drastic changes in processing power to carry more involved apps. This is still wristwatch territory... we're not playing iTouch games on it. Price and battery life will likely keep this quite restrained. We can't be needing to charge our watch twice during the day.

64gb
Not gonna happen. Space + $ and not wanting to impinge on iTouch, which is an entry-point to App-store revenues (even with Nano apps... the $ won't be nearly the same). Can't get to 8GB Touch price, limiting it to maybe $180 tops in my estimation. They have $30 of room to bump the price, and unless they forgo other upgrades I don't forsee even 32GB, especially if we want...

Bluetooth!
The only likely upgrade I see, besides software (and maybe speaker, as I said above). It opens up TWO major improvements in function.
1)wrist-mounted music player w no wires [i](already available using plug-ins --> in fact would be best if they integrated the "apt-X" tech the Jaybirds plug-in uses, to retain sound Q with the switch to wireless)
2) potential to Bluetooth sync with phone. Slaved to the phone, it could be a wrist-mounted remote interface (battery life dependent, of course)

Bluetooth is just plain logical. I actually decided the current model wasn't for me precisely because it can't go cordless without a plug-in. BT4.0 doesn't mean low-energy for everything though; the battery is gonna suffer or have to grow. Low-energy (BLE) is ONE mode of BT4.0, intended for very low power applications like heart rate monitors, and is NOT voice/music capable. Your BT headphones will still be running A2DP, though power-consumption is ever improving.

Wifi
With space, battery life, and cost concerns, I think this is low-priority. It's a tiny device and dropping it in a cradle (it's gotta charge anyway) is no big.

Magnetometer
A compass on your wrist would be great if your iPhone was sending your GPS directions to your nano. Look at your wrist, read the directions, look at the arrow. Phone stays in pocket. Small and cheap enough to make it in?

As a comparison... the WIMM has all of these except a speaker and big storage space.
-More processing power (for bigger apps)
-BT and Wifi
-Magnetometer (and accelerometer, which Nano already has)
BUT
-has only 2GB, is much thicker
-no headphone jack
-made of plastic
It's available for Developers at $200. Will it be cheaper when it's consumer ready? Doubtful, at least with those specs plus decent storage.
Certainly with greatly expanded storage (8GB+), aluminum construction, and a premium Apple price, a WIMM-style Nano is going to be bigger than the current Nano (maybe substantially), and there's no way it's under $200.

so in IMO...
Software evolution is an obvious must, and is probably a given
An internal speaker may be doable (these first two will give full watch/alarm clock/stopwatch functionality)
But I think we should really just be hoping for Bluetooth that can run high quality audio and a heart rate monitor simultaneously.

I think that this ONE addition can add an enormous amount not only to the Nano as a device, but also expand the iPhone as a tool. Once price is taken into account, asking for anything else is just pie-in-the-sky wish-list. Considering the functionality and experience they seem to be aiming at, I think they'll likely forgo Wifi and power/storage gains to save $, space and battery life.

Oh but I wish for USB3.0 transfer speeds on all iToys anyway (can they write fast enough to take advantage though?)

dkersten
Feb 27, 2012, 12:31 AM
The biggest update to the Nano needs to be to bluetooth 4.0. There is so much potential in this that I think many people are overlooking.

Connection to bluetooth headphones. Not a big deal and couldn't really care too much about it.

The real potential is in a bluetooth connection to an iPhone/touch/iPad. Getting notifications whether it be app updates, reminders, calls/caller id, text messages, imessages, etc. This would be awesome if pulled off correctly. Also I could see Apple integrating the Nano with Siri somehow with a small mic in the Nano (as a watch).

There also needs to be a power saving mode where the screen is still on but dimmed (still viewable) to make the Nano a viable watch replacement.

If Apple can do all this and still manage a reasonable battery life, this would be hugely popular

mrsir2009
Feb 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
Funny how almost all of your wish features are on the iPod Touch :o

B777Forevar
Feb 27, 2012, 12:04 PM
I just want Apple to go back to the old 5th gen nano design

TwinkleForever
Apr 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
As a runner I would really LOVE to see Apple come out with a Nano that has Pandora on the go. That would make my long runs so much funner!

kaielement
Apr 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
More watch fases maybe. Maybe add a section in the itunes store where you could buy sets like $.99 for like 5 faces. Could be cool like for sports theams and rwhat not. And maybe a way to use your own wallpaper that is all.......

wol
Apr 15, 2012, 04:27 AM
I was actually hoping for the inclusion of GPS, so that I could stop taking my trusty iPhone along for the run, and instead have the iPod Nano record the trail.

After realizing, though, how "clunky" Motorola's MOTOACTV looks compared to the current Nano - see http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/11/motorola-motoactv-in-depth-review.html - I'm not sure if Apple could pull this off, and add GPS to the Nano form factor?

ftaok
Apr 15, 2012, 08:36 AM
I was actually hoping for the inclusion of GPS, so that I could stop taking my trusty iPhone along for the run, and instead have the iPod Nano record the trail.

After realizing, though, how "clunky" Motorola's MOTOACTV looks compared to the current Nano - see http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/11/motorola-motoactv-in-depth-review.html - I'm not sure if Apple could pull this off, and add GPS to the Nano form factor?

GPS would be great, however, I'd rather have Apple adopt BT4 or perhaps work with Nike to get a Nike+ GPS dongle. It could be something as small as 2 AAA batteries that you clip onto your shirt or stick in your pocket. Turn it on, wait for the green light indicating you have a sat-lock. Then start your Nike+ run.

Bluetooth would be even better. That would open it up for other gadget makers to come up with GPS dongles ... not to mention the ability to use BT headphones.

njdevil
Apr 16, 2012, 05:03 AM
Watching video on a square screen the size of a stamp? Really? The camera idea is even worse.

I want a Nano to use as a watch that acts as a sidecar to my iPhone.

The screen on the nano itself is just far small for most apps (Although it could stand to get a little bigger and keep the same form factor) but having something on your wrist always linked with an iPhone would open up a lot of potential for both devices. A Nano could get by without WiFi if it had a Bluetooth connection to an iPhone (let's face it, you don't really want to be restricted to WiFi range on a device that portable anyway, what use would that really be?)

I think Apple should take Sony's Smartwatch idea and greatly expand it- Notifications, navigation directions, NFC payments, weather updates, controls for Music (or any relevant apps) always on your wrist. Lost your phone? Tell your Nano to make the iPhone start ringing.

IMO, the Nano has little beyond novelty value now, but could be a must-have accessory to anyone with an iPhone (or iPad for that matter), with only very minor hardware upgrades.

You can keep adding GPS and WiFi and kitchen sinks to the Nano til the cows come home, you'll end up with a clunky, complicated, expensive device with terrible battery life that at best poorly duplicates functionality you already have in your pocket.

(I'll admit, what I want more than anything is a Pip-boy 3000)

snerkler
Apr 19, 2012, 07:51 AM
Sorry if this is hijiacking the thread slightly but does anyone know roughly when the next ipod nano will be out? I've not seen the need for one before as have the iphone with all my music on it, but there are times now that I would like something smaller and that I'm not as worried about damaging the screen (I know the nano has a screen but I think due to it's size I'll be less likely to damage it if I took it on the beach etc). Due to never needing an ipod before I've not followed the general trend in the past as to when they get released. With the iphone and ipad you can make a pretty accurate educated guess as to when the next one will be out, and wondered if this was the same with the nano?

ftaok
Apr 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry if this is hijiacking the thread slightly but does anyone know roughly when the next ipod nano will be out? I've not seen the need for one before as have the iphone with all my music on it, but there are times now that I would like something smaller and that I'm not as worried about damaging the screen (I know the nano has a screen but I think due to it's size I'll be less likely to damage it if I took it on the beach etc). Due to never needing an ipod before I've not followed the general trend in the past as to when they get released. With the iphone and ipad you can make a pretty accurate educated guess as to when the next one will be out, and wondered if this was the same with the nano?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Nano

Note that last year's nano (2011) was the same as the one previous (2010), except that the 2011 models came with the 1.2 firmware already loaded.

I would expect a new nano about the September/October timeframe. I don't think Apple would go three years with the same nano.

WLS
Apr 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Watching video on a square screen the size of a stamp? Really? The camera idea is even worse.

The screen on the nano itself is just far small for most apps (Although it could stand to get a little bigger and keep the same form factor) but having something on your wrist always linked with an iPhone would open up a lot of potential for both devices. A Nano could get by without WiFi if it had a Bluetooth connection to an iPhone (let's face it, you don't really want to be restricted to WiFi range on a device that portable anyway, what use would that really be?)

I think Apple should take Sony's Smartwatch idea and greatly expand it- Notifications, navigation directions, NFC payments, weather updates, controls for Music (or any relevant apps) always on your wrist. Lost your phone? Tell your Nano to make the iPhone start ringing.

IMO, the Nano has little beyond novelty value now, but could be a must-have accessory to anyone with an iPhone (or iPad for that matter), with only very minor hardware upgrades.

You can keep adding GPS and WiFi and kitchen sinks to the Nano til the cows come home, you'll end up with a clunky, complicated, expensive device with terrible battery life that at best poorly duplicates functionality you already have in your pocket.

(I'll admit, what I want more than anything is a Pip-boy 3000)

good ideas. I agree. There are always these unrealistic requests floated, like GPS, WIFI, Camera, retina screen movie player etc etc that just are not going to happen and frankly should not happen.
I do think BT4 is a good direction to go and linking to your phone as you describe seems like a natural idea. I just wonder if they will have to make the nano larger to do so, cause I want it to stay the size it is. I would like to see storage upped to 32Gig too.

ftaok
Apr 19, 2012, 12:47 PM

Take a look at the Pebble watch. I just saw it yesterday and it looked intriguing. Many of the things that you want on the nano are there on the Pebble.

snerkler
Apr 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Nano

Note that last year's nano (2011) was the same as the one previous (2010), except that the 2011 models came with the 1.2 firmware already loaded.

I would expect a new nano about the September/October timeframe. I don't think Apple would go three years with the same nano.

Thanks, good link that :)

katt
Apr 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
you idea is great! i hope there would be other color that's available too

njdevil
Apr 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
Take a look at the Pebble watch. I just saw it yesterday and it looked intriguing. Many of the things that you want on the nano are there on the Pebble.

I've been following those since they where just new on Kickstarter. They look nice, but I'm waiting to see if Apple fulfills my Nano dreams in the next update before I shell out for one.