PDA

View Full Version : Should Apple use Copy Protection?

exbox
Aug 29, 2002, 05:28 PM
Mac OS X is starting to seem like a heavily pirated OS. You can find places to download public release versions and beta versions. I beleive apple should start to take measures against this. Then there is the question, though, how can you stop the illegal share of files without intruding on our rights?

arn
Aug 29, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by exbox
Mac OS X is starting to seem like a heavily pirated OS. You can find places to download public release versions and beta versions. I beleive apple should start to take measures against this. Then there is the question, though, how can you stop the illegal share of files without intruding on our rights?

the most direct way would to be send lawyers after the sites that distrubute this stuff.... because copy protection isn't going to stop the distribution.

arn

BongHits
Aug 29, 2002, 05:50 PM
i think apple is doing the right thing and competitively pricing their products...im a starving college student who is willing to put down $70 for a major upgrade (from what I hear) for os x 10.2 and many people who are serious about their apples will drop the $129. if i ever saw them introduce a $500 office suite then i'd **** a brick but i think that their pricing model is just right to woo over those people interested in gaininig their copy through illegal means...$129 could potentially save them ALOT of money and heartache down the road (minimum $100/hour for a decent lawyer)

rainman::|:|
Aug 29, 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by arn
copy protection isn't going to stop the distribution.

arn

Hear, hear. all copy protection does is make it difficult to upgrade software and reinstall... i detest that huge SN on windows, i always misplace the label and i'm screwed. With shareware, serial numbers make sense, as it stops all but the most determined people... well, before surfer, anyway... but operating systems... bah

pnw

Shrek
Aug 29, 2002, 06:25 PM
Absolutely. Stealing is immoral and only hurts others. :(

bousozoku
Aug 29, 2002, 10:35 PM
It's a lot like shoplifting. Someone pays for the stolen merchandise--the honest consumer.

I know that Apple have high margins, but not with Mac OS X--yet. They have too many people dedicated to getting it going for it to really be profitable in a big way right now.

The server software should be tied to a serial number in the machine--just like the big guys have. You have that serial number as long as you keep the machine/O.S. combination current, even through upgrades.

It's really not a terrible thing to expect. Apple should protect themselves at least, on the server level. If they would go with something on the consumer level, it would have to be very clever and not so intrusive to make things go smoothly.

I want to be able to afford the software to use my machine, so paying a reasonable price is the only way to keep doing that. Everybody buy Mac OS X. Well, at least, if you have a machine that will run it. If you've got a Wintel machine, buy two copies of Mac OS X. :D

Royal Pineapple
Aug 29, 2002, 10:46 PM
NO
i like being able to make copys of my boot cds to take with me, so if i lose it or scratch it, no problemo,

the server os is pretected, the question is weather this should apply to all of their software.

bousozoku
Aug 30, 2002, 05:53 PM
Mac OS X Server is barely protected. You can give the serial number to multiple people...it's not tied to the machine.

evildead
Aug 30, 2002, 07:35 PM
anything you protect can be broken. I dont want to see what MS is doing with their maditory registration and hard ware licence keys.. that would just be a pain in the ass. I had my hands on a copy of 10.2 a while ago... but I had my order into apple just as long. Im one student that didnt mind spending the $69 for OS 10.2. And I love it.

-evildead

cb911
Aug 30, 2002, 08:58 PM
i voted 'yes' but then i realised that it would make things more difficult for the user. i can't believe that people would do that to OS X, especially 10.2

but copy protection isn't the solution, anything can be cracked...

SilvorX
Aug 30, 2002, 09:39 PM
no, since apple=NOT MS, one of the main reasons quite a few pc fans switched to macs when xp came out was due to the stupid lame xp activation scheme
in some ways yes it should be copy protected but when it comes to when your cd is scratched/warn and your best friend wants to burn a copy of the software (if hes a cheap @$$) then it would be a bad idea for copy protection
if mac os EVER comes to x86, put TONNES of copy protection on the cds (if the ppc version stays)...since the ppc users would be the true mac users, while the x86 mac users would just be wannabes lol
(i cant really think right now)