PDA

View Full Version : I have a serious problem

Jabez
Nov 14, 2010, 02:23 PM
I have a G3 (Blue & white). I have two HDs installed; one HD has the OS (9.2.2) one HD has Photoshop 5.0. I run a photoshop plugin that runs a scsi scanner. I have been using this configuration for about 4 years. Yesterday Photoshop froze up everything at the end of a scan and I had to use the power button to shutdown the computer and reboot. When I powered back up one HD made a full disk seek noise several times (sounds like a bad drive if you have ever heard one.) So finally the machine boots up and I have only one HD on the desktop. It is the OS HD and when I run disk utility it does not show the other HD; only one HD shows up. So I open the case and unplug one IDE drive ribbon connector cable, the power supply connector to that disconnected drive and power up. No OS found, I get the question mark folder icon. So I power down and reconnect the first drive and disconnect the second drive. I power back up and I get the No OS found, the question mark in the folder. I reconnect both drives and it boots up; the second HD makes the same sick sound and does not show up as a HD anywhere. So my question is what is going on that the OS wants both HDs connected in order to boot when one of them is not even being seen by the OS? Obviously I want to replace the drive...but it would appear at the moment that I cannot. Really odd.

XaPHER
Nov 15, 2010, 07:37 AM
which one is the slave and which one is the master?

Jabez
Nov 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
which one is the slave and which one is the master?

not sure. there are no jumpers on the drives.

Makosuke
Nov 18, 2010, 02:00 PM
Given the noises, are you sure that it won't boot without boot connected, rather than it just being intermittent, and the time it booted just happened to be when you had both connected? If anything, that seems more likely.

Not having jumpers on the drives is weird, though; what model are they? It's possible that they're both "No jumpers = Cable Select" types, but I didn't think that the B&Ws supported CS on their ATA bus. They're not SCSI drives, right?