Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you transfer?

• Migration Assistant

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Time Machine Backup

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Other Method

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Hntjohns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
So it seems that after a few months our computers, yes even our macs, slow down a bit.

I just purchased a new macbook pro and am wondering on the best route to take as I transfer files from my old macbook to the new pro.

I'ver read about doing it from a TimeMachine backup as well as just using the migration assistant. But, will moving my files slow down my new computer and make it act like an "old computer" since it will have basically all of the old files?

What would you do?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Regardless of the method you choose, transferring files from one computer to another does not affect computer performance at all, unless you run out of disk space. I've been running on the same Mac for over 2 1/2 years and it still performs as well as day one.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Great thread. I am in the same position, and would love more insight on this.
What more insight do you need? Your computer performance is not impacted by what you have stored on your hard drive. As long as you have sufficient space for paging needs, it doesn't matter.

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
Am I missing something here? Regardless of whether or not you use Time Machine don't you have to use Migration Assistant? At least that is what I remembered when I needed to recover from my last HDD crash. I ran migration assistant which asked me if I have a Time Machine backup, and then proceded to do the migration after a few more choices in the migration assistant.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Am I missing something here? Regardless of whether or not you use Time Machine don't you have to use Migration Assistant?
No, you don't have to use either. There are many methods you can use. You can network and simply drag and drop files. Or you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone a drive and restore on another drive. There are many methods of transferring files from one computer to another. I've never used Time Machine or Migration Assistant, and I've transferred files between Macs and PCs for years without problems.

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
No, you don't have to use either. There are many methods you can use. You can network and simply drag and drop files. Or you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone a drive and restore on another drive. There are many methods of transferring files from one computer to another. I've never used Time Machine or Migration Assistant, and I've transferred files between Macs and PCs for years without problems.
I'm aware of the other methods and have used them all on occasion.

I'm just not aware of a way to use Time Machine to create a new system without Migration Assistant. How does that work?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
One more question here. Will this also work if you are upgrading to a new model MacBook Pro from an older model's Time Machine backup?

That depends on what system the TM backup contains and what the system on the new Mac is, as you can't install an older Mac OS X version than the one that came with the Mac (no 10.6.3 on a Mac, that came with 10.6.4).

I haven't done that though, thus I'm not sure if it would work.

Maybe this can help: Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
That depends on what system the TM backup contains and what the system on the new Mac is, as you can't install an older Mac OS X version than the one that came with the Mac (no 10.6.3 on a Mac, that came with 10.6.4).

I haven't done that though, thus I'm not sure if it would work.

Maybe this can help: Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions
I would make sure that I had the latest version, so that woud not be an issue. I didn't realize that that boot disk from systems that are two years apart would still work.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I didn't realize that that boot disk from systems that are two years apart would still work.

Where does this come from?

If you meant the grey Restore DVDs with "boot disks", then they are model specific, thus you can't use a Restore DVD from a MacBook Pro 5,2 with a MacBook Pro 5,1 and vice versa.

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
Where does this come from?

If you meant the grey Restore DVDs with "boot disks", then they are model specific, thus you can't use a Restore DVD from a MacBook Pro 5,2 with a MacBook Pro 5,1 and vice versa.
I was referring to the installed system disk. I didn't realize that such a boot disk (HDD) from an older system would be able to boot a 2 year later system. I assumed that a bunch of new drivers would be required even if I updated to the latest version from my old mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.