PDA

View Full Version : Power Support screen protectors??

bye333
Nov 14, 2010, 06:45 PM
Got my Ipad a few days ago, along with an incase folio-style case, but now I think i want to put a screen protector on it as well, just in case... Looked around, and it sounds like the power support protectors are very good, but can I buy them in stores somewhere in Vancouver, Canada? there are 3 different apple stores that are pretty accessible, but i didn't really look for protectors when i was getting my ipad...
Also, can you have the people at the stores apply the protectors for you? read about people having probelms applying them, and just want to be safe...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Built
Nov 14, 2010, 07:15 PM
Got my Ipad a few days ago, along with an incase folio-style case, but now I think i want to put a screen protector on it as well, just in case... Looked around, and it sounds like the power support protectors are very good, but can I buy them in stores somewhere in Vancouver, Canada? there are 3 different apple stores that are pretty accessible, but i didn't really look for protectors when i was getting my ipad...
Also, can you have the people at the stores apply the protectors for you? read about people having probelms applying them, and just want to be safe...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Power Support Crystal Film Protectors are the best, IMHO. I have had them on my Iphone 1st gen, iPhone 3G, 2 iPod Touches, iPhone 4 and my iPad.

The Apple Store used to carry Power Support...and was, in fact, the screen protector they recommended when I got my first iPhone (I was an early adopter).

With the advent of the iPhone 4, something happened and Apple said they would no longer stock Power Support films in their stores. :(

I ended up buying mine online from Power Support directly. Even though I installed the previous crystal films myself, I had the Power Support store in Burbank apply the iPhone 4 protector and the iPad protector.

I don't know if you will be able to find any stores locally in Vancouver that sell Power Support. I know that here in the states, Best Buy does not carry them either.

They are not hard to install. In fact, there is a GREAT Youtube video where the guy goes step-by-step and shows you how to install the Power Support film flawlessly to the iPad.

I watched them install it at the store, and they did the same exact things the guy did in the video.

Good luck, man!

b.c.
Nov 14, 2010, 11:30 PM
hi @bye333 - I'm also in Vancouver - unfortunately none of the local Apple Stores or other retailers here seem to carry the PS films anymore, although in past Apple stores here had some of the iPhone ones. (OTOH, isn't it great that we finally have 3 Apple Stores here?)

I travel frequently so I've bought PS protectors previously while on trips, in retail shops in US and also Japan where they are readily available. I picked up my iPad one in NYC, at J&R retail store, but they also sell mail order (http://www.jr.com/brand/powersupport/). not sure their shipping charges. last time I checked, ordering directly from powersupportusa.com would incur expensive shipping charge to Canada. but if you live near the border you could always ship cheaply to Pt Roberts or Blaine to one of those places that take deliveries for Canadians, and pick it up yourself...

I agree with all of @Built's comments too - IMHO the PS films are the best and easiest to apply without fuss or bubbles. the surface feels good in use. you should not worry at all about applying them yourself. I've put their protectors on quite a few different iPhones, iPods, iPads - both my own and family members' ones. just follow the instructions, and take your time beforehand making sure your work area and iPad screen is clean. the scotch tape trick also works to snag a tiny speck of dust should you accidentally get one while applying (I think that tip is in the PS instructions). Because the films are slightly on the stiff side, I think this really helps in easing them on the iPad screen in one nice smooth (and bubble-free) motion.

good luck in your search. and enjoy your new iPad. it's a drag that the local retailers don't carry this product line!

christianinri
Nov 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
They have PowerSupport items at the Apple Store but only in the Antiglare options.