Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
So today I managed to drop my MacBook a short distance to the ground. I can't believe I did this. The computer was asleep at the time and, as far as I can tell, the internal HDD is perfectly fine. After I dropped the computer it wouldn't at first wake up from sleep. After removing the battery and replacing it, it booted back from the state saved to the HDD.

My problem is that my optical drive makes noises now. I never use it, but whenever the machine tries to access it (waking from sleep, launching Disk Utility, etc) it makes noises as if the eject mechanism is running constantly or something else like that. The case also slightly bulges where the drive is. Now, if it doesn't work ever again I will only be slightly sad. I haven't tried to put a disc in it yet, but because of a previous spill by a previous answer the fibers around the opening are so stiff that getting a disc out of the drive when it works is a pain.

Any ideas of what might be wrong and how to possibly fix it? I haven't tried reseating the drive, I don't have the time tonight. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
So today I managed to drop my MacBook a short distance to the ground. I can't believe I did this. The computer was asleep at the time and, as far as I can tell, the internal HDD is perfectly fine. After I dropped the computer it wouldn't at first wake up from sleep. After removing the battery and replacing it, it booted back from the state saved to the HDD.

My problem is that my optical drive makes noises now. I never use it, but whenever the machine tries to access it (waking from sleep, launching Disk Utility, etc) it makes noises as if the eject mechanism is running constantly or something else like that. The case also slightly bulges where the drive is. Now, if it doesn't work ever again I will only be slightly sad. I haven't tried to put a disc in it yet, but because of a previous spill by a previous answer the fibers around the opening are so stiff that getting a disc out of the drive when it works is a pain.

Any ideas of what might be wrong and how to possibly fix it? I haven't tried reseating the drive, I don't have the time tonight. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Sounds to me like youve damaged the optical drive on impact - the having to hard reboot is normal as the SMS (Sudden-Motion-Sensor) kicked in, keeping your data safe as the HD and your Laptop flew for a second or 2. Its possible that when the drive recieves power its trying to spin-up/ move the motor a little, and if this is damaged - it could explain the noise you hear - still sucks though :(

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yeah. The optical drive was already unusable because of the issue of the fibers, so it's no big loss to me. I have my next weekend mini-project: take out the offending drive. I'll probably pop an opti-bay in there just so that it blocks the opening. I'll throw in an SSD later, I'm sure ;)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah. The optical drive was already unusable because of the issue of the fibers, so it's no big loss to me. I have my next weekend mini-project: take out the offending drive. I'll probably pop an opti-bay in there just so that it blocks the opening. I'll throw in an SSD later, I'm sure ;)

If you don't use your OD, maybe breaking it was a good thing. After all, it gives you an excuse to buy a SSD to put in there :)

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
My thought exactly. However, I have to convince my wife that it's a good idea! Seeing as just a couple months or so ago I plopped about $300 into this computer, I don't think she'll go for it any time soon ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.