PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes VIDEO: David Pogue Tries the IPod Shuffle

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 06:31 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: NYTimes VIDEO: David Pogue Tries the IPod Shuffle (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113193119)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Sharewaredemon
Jan 13, 2005, 07:06 PM
hehe Cute, I like it, though I can't remember why I know the name David Pogue.

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 07:07 PM
hehe Cute, I like it, though I can't remember why I know the name David Pogue.

He's the tech columnist for the NYT online. His posts are always reasonable in tone and apparently, quite the Apple Loverô.

settledown
Jan 13, 2005, 07:36 PM
OK no more friggin links to site that require registration....this isnt the USSR.

...err...what ever that means.

slightly
Jan 13, 2005, 07:39 PM
Pogue has also written a slew of Mac "how-to" books, such as the Missing Manual. He's quite a famed Mac-head.

Matt

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 08:17 PM
OK no more friggin links to site that require registration....this isnt the USSR.

...err...what ever that means.

NYTimes is thinking of switching over to paid subscription, similiar to WSJ. I hope it doesn't. Given this, I didn't mind registering. It saves alot of grief and its only painful once. ;)

dejo
Jan 13, 2005, 08:37 PM
NYTimes is thinking of switching over to paid subscription, similiar to WSJ. I hope it doesn't. Given this, I didn't mind registering. It saves alot of grief and its only painful once. ;)

But what is the purpose of having to register in order to view FREE information? I don't understand how this benefits me or the NYT.

zellin
Jan 13, 2005, 08:39 PM
FYI, there's a service called bug me not (free) that lets you bypass registration.
javascript:void(window.open('http://bugmenot.com/view.php?mode=bookmarklet&url='+escape(location),'BugMeNot','location=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,wi dth=385,height=450'))
Bookmark that and hit it when you need to log in for something like NYT or another paper, obviously it won't work for PayPal :p

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 08:44 PM
But what is the purpose of having to register in order to view FREE information? I don't understand how this benefits me or the NYT.

They gather market data, which is used to show potential advertisers the demographics of people who vist their site. Also, registering allows NYT to track which stories interest you, so they can fine tune their reporting and target ads that would appeal to you. It's nothing sinister. In exchange for your registration, they provide you with free content. NYT articles are very well written and informative, and NYT has to pay their writers. I visit NYT about 3 times a day. Indispensable source of news and reviews.

Passante
Jan 14, 2005, 06:44 AM
I refuse to put real audio on my powerbook so I couldn't see the video.:mad:However the advertisment ran just fine. Funny no?

Daveway
Jan 14, 2005, 12:17 PM
Use the user name and password: appleinsider. It's what I use for the NYT.

3Memos
Jan 14, 2005, 12:21 PM
I refuse to put real audio on my powerbook so I couldn't see the video.:mad:However the advertisment ran just fine. Funny no?

Me too. I got rid of RealOne a long time ago. I was thinking of re-installing it to watch the NYT's video, but then my better senses got to me. ;)

dejo
Jan 14, 2005, 12:25 PM
You need RealPlayer and a registration in order to view the video? Man, these things really need a warning before the link.