PDA

View Full Version : "Apple's $500 Mac mini is going to eat the lunch of low-en...

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 06:32 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: \"Apple\'s $500 Mac mini is going to eat the lunch of low-end desktops.\" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113193200)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

iJon
Jan 13, 2005, 07:22 PM
An excellent article I must say. It's hard to believe and see Apple will all these great products they are offering us, but it is true. There are people already working on installing these mini's in a car.

One thing I didn't agree with the author on is the remark about Keynote. He said it doesn't offer as much as PowerPoint but it will be enough for the user. I think with the new timing options they have added in 2.0, there is no reason to consider PowerPoint. I have used both extensively and Apple beat 'em with this version.

jon

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 07:39 PM
Steve Jobs summoned Sony President Kunitake Ando to his keynote stage to put a point on that message. Sony controls the high-end digital video market, and broadly speaking, Apple and its customers couldn't go anywhere that Sony wouldn't let them go. Mr. Ando declared that Sony is working very closely with Apple, and then in a nervous aside to Steve Jobs (who had a Sony HD camcorder pointed straight at Mr. Ando), asked Apple to stick to software. Please.

That whole segment was my favourite part of the Keynote. I love how they are able to work as partners and laugh about their competition in the music space. Hope to see lots of new things from Apple and Sony, especially in regards to HDV. There's a paradigm shift happening in HD video.

Fender2112
Jan 13, 2005, 08:02 PM
Great article. It really highlights the postive aspects of Apple that most folks just don't understand.

My favorite line:
Wherever Apple chooses to go, it will go alone, and that should scare the hell out of any company that has to sell against it.

hob
Jan 13, 2005, 08:26 PM
Reading this article just made my jaw drop. I've been, seemingly, actively watching all these new product rumours and releases and thinking "wow, that's cool... wish I could afford one"... when actually I've been being quite passive. Obviously Apple have been looking at the big picture. None of this has happened by accident - and that's what's taken me by surprise (shockingly enough)

My favourite part:

Steve Jobs' show on stage with the Sony camcorder was his way of saying, "This is the only part we'll leave to you." The cheap as dirt iLife, which is bundled with Mac mini, does world-class DVD authoring as well. Apple will own as much of the video market as it decides to take.

He's such a devious little man! Mmmmm... apply goodness

This article has restored my faith that maybe, within 10 years apple will have a significant (30%+) market share. And there's no reason why not. People are just dumb, that's all :P

Hob

Billy_ca
Jan 13, 2005, 09:45 PM
Hey, I'm as big a Mac fan as anybody. But that guy was just in la la dreamland. :rolleyes:

mrgreen4242
Jan 13, 2005, 09:50 PM
With iTMS kicking the crap out of the compition, including Sony's Connect Music Store, or whatever it's called, and iPods having a strangle hold on the portable music player market, I wonder if Sony will team up with Apples music division...

Currently there's no MD sync software for the Mac, so maybe start with built in iTunes compatibilty for (non-DRM'd) music transfers to HiMD players and go from there. Would be an interesting partenership for sure.

Rob

3Memos
Jan 13, 2005, 09:59 PM
and iPods having a strangle hold on the portable music player market, I wonder if Sony will team up with Apples music division...

I got the same impression from watching the Keynote. Almost seems like there's going to be some music partnership between Sony and Apple. The Sony Connect service is so abysmal, Sony seems ready to put their tails between their legs, and work together with Apple to bring out some iPod related home entertainment devices.

ibjoshua
Jan 14, 2005, 01:02 AM
And before Microsoft called its hurried press conference to announce that it's working closely with Apple, Apple dropped the hint that it can use the very same gear to make an aggressive run at the PC server and storage market. That is, if it chooses to. Maybe, maybe not. Ask again tomorrow.

Apple can't be assured of control of every market it targets, but it can be certain of one thing: No one else will control its participation in its chosen markets again. Wherever Apple chooses to go, it will go alone, and that should scare the hell out of any company that has to sell against it.

Wow!

I don't think I've ever read an article that was that positive and that bullish about Apple Computer on a website with a domain that didn't include some combination of the words 'apple' or 'mac'.

I guess when you take a step back and look at what Apple are now offering they really are going from strength to strength.

i_b_joshua

Abstract
Jan 14, 2005, 02:05 AM
Well there isn't much to complain about right now when it comes to Apple. I'm like Hob --- surprised that every product release from Apple fits some grand scheme so perfectly. Many companies try to release products that are great looking, work well, are very functional, etc, but Apple seems to be the only company that releases products with a sense of purpose. Its as if they were strategically placed pieces in a chess game.

During the keynote, Steve's pie chart shows exactly why Apple decided to release the iPod Shuffle.....to take over the rest of the pie. It sounds like simple (and obvious) planning, but if it was so simple, why do other mp3 player manufacturers simply release large numbers of nearly-identical, functionally similar players that serve no real purpose other than to fill the product line-up?

And that's just one example. The Mac Mini is an even better example of good planning. Its like Apple now knows not to release products that overlap whatsoever so that every product release means that they're covering a new area in the field.

nagromme
Jan 14, 2005, 02:08 AM
InfoWorld is a highly-respected IT print magazine that's been around for many years. And over the last few years, they have given OS X a chance and grown increasingly positive about Apple products. They've even been switching some of their own systems over to OS X. I think his view of the future is a little TOO rosy for Apple--things won't be quite THAT smooth. But regardless, InfoWorld's repeated endorsements of Apple to the IT crowd are a good thing. And not from just one writer, from several--including their own IT folks.

Looking through my bookmarks:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/05/35OPconnection_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/12/36OPconnection_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/07/02/27OPcurve_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/10/40OPcurve_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/reports/SRapple.html
http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/maceducation/33806.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/06/18/25FE64bits_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/12/03PPhands_1.html?s=feature

sorryiwasdreami
Jan 14, 2005, 02:17 AM
Yeah I was blown away reading that! It really highlights the underdog and aggressive nature that we all feel good about in Apple. They are truely the company who is different and it's compelling to finally read that others think so too.

iJaz
Jan 14, 2005, 02:32 AM
I got the same impression from watching the Keynote. Almost seems like there's going to be some music partnership between Sony and Apple. The Sony Connect service is so abysmal, Sony seems ready to put their tails between their legs, and work together with Apple to bring out some iPod related home entertainment devices.

Hmm, maybe that's why there is no iTMS Japan, maybe Apple has agreed with Sony not to enter the Japanese market yet... Maybe Apple is holding off until they have settled everything with Sony?

iJaz
Jan 14, 2005, 02:46 AM
Well there isn't much to complain about right now when it comes to Apple. I'm like Hob --- surprised that every product release from Apple fits some grand scheme so perfectly. Many companies try to release products that are great looking, work well, are very functional, etc, but Apple seems to be the only company that releases products with a sense of purpose. Its as if they were strategically placed pieces in a chess game.

During the keynote, Steve's pie chart shows exactly why Apple decided to release the iPod Shuffle.....to take over the rest of the pie. It sounds like simple (and obvious) planning, but if it was so simple, why do other mp3 player manufacturers simply release large numbers of nearly-identical, functionally similar players that serve no real purpose other than to fill the product line-up?

And that's just one example. The Mac Mini is an even better example of good planning. Its like Apple now knows not to release products that overlap whatsoever so that every product release means that they're covering a new area in the field.

Yeah, look at Creative's over retarded decission to make 4 and 6 GB Zen micros, as well as their already existing 5 GB model! Why? Where is the long term planning behind that? The answer is that they have no plan, they are just so desperate to do whatever they can to grab some of the iPod's market share. I don't think thay can do that without a brilliant plan, in other words, they have to "out-Jobs" Steve Jobs! All I am saying is: good luck with that.

prechrchet
Jan 14, 2005, 11:12 AM
In this article, the author mentions that the mac Mini can use PC keyboards. Is this true? It is great if it is, but this is the first that I have heard of it.

Prechrchet

hob
Jan 14, 2005, 11:45 AM
In this article, the author mentions that the mac Mini can use PC keyboards. Is this true? It is great if it is, but this is the first that I have heard of it.

Prechrchet

The modular design of Mac mini lets you upgrade your current system to the elegance, simplicity and reliability of Macintosh. If you already own a monitor, keyboard and mouse, you can get up and running in minutes. Or choose any combination of new devices to meet your individual situation. And yes, Mac mini will take advantage of your two-button USB mouse with scroll-wheel and your favorite USB keyboard. Just plug them in.

:rolleyes:

I've got nothing against newbies. We were all newbies once. But this is in the first paragraph of the info for the Mac Mini. FIRST PARAGRAPH!!

Hob

prechrchet
Jan 14, 2005, 12:46 PM
Sorry dude, just asking a question. Somehow, I missed that the description included PC keyboards when reading it for the first time.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Prechrchet

nagromme
Jan 14, 2005, 04:16 PM
Forum users get worked up sometimes... it's nothing to do with any effect our Macs have on us :D

As long as you have a USB keyboard and mouse, rather than PS/2, you're set. They make PS/2 to USB adapters, too, but I had mixed results with the one I tried from Radio Shack. Key repeat, and holding a key down for games, was messed up. Others are better, I've heard... or maybe it was the combination of that adapter and that keyboard.

hob
Jan 14, 2005, 07:31 PM
Sorry dude, just asking a question. Somehow, I missed that the description included PC keyboards when reading it for the first time.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Prechrchet

sorry, i didn't mean to fly off like that

long week

Hob

prechrchet
Jan 15, 2005, 05:47 AM
That's okay. Don't worry about it.

Prechrchet