Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Hi,

As Toy Story 3 is released in the UK next Monday, I've got to get a copy for my Son to watch (I'm sure Mum and Dad will also have a look).

Anyway, I would usually buy the DVD or Blu-Ray and rip it, but I've had no end of problems with ripping Disney DVD's and have read quite a few reports of people struggling with the Blu-Ray of Toy Story 3 in the US.

I'm tempted to get the iTunes download (which is cheaper than the Blu-Ray and the same price as the DVD), but I'm not sure what resolution it will be. Am I right in thinking that new films are likely to be 720p? If so I'll probably go for it, as I can't rip any higher than that and play it on the Apple TV anyway.

I don't want to shell out the cash and find I've just got a DVD quality version.

Alternatively, has anyone in the US had any luck in ripping the Toy Story 3 Blu-Ray?

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Hi,

As Toy Story 3 is released in the UK next Monday, I've got to get a copy for my Son to watch (I'm sure Mum and Dad will also have a look).

Anyway, I would usually buy the DVD or Blu-Ray and rip it, but I've had no end of problems with ripping Disney DVD's and have read quite a few reports of people struggling with the Blu-Ray of Toy Story 3 in the US.

I'm tempted to get the iTunes download (which is cheaper than the Blu-Ray and the same price as the DVD), but I'm not sure what resolution it will be. Am I right in thinking that new films are likely to be 720p? If so I'll probably go for it, as I can't rip any higher than that and play it on the Apple TV anyway.

I don't want to shell out the cash and find I've just got a DVD quality version.

Alternatively, has anyone in the US had any luck in ripping the Toy Story 3 Blu-Ray?

If it has the HD flag on it in the iTunes store, it is 720p. In the US on my iPhone, it shows the HD flag. Not sure about the UK.

If they haven't made it possible to rip it yet, I'm sure they will. Some new movies just take time for them to figure out. It took a few days before you could rip Avatar.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Hi,

It will be 720p but the bitrate will be much less than that of a Bluray.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Thanks,

There is no sign of the HD logo on the UK store and, taking Avatar as an example, I'm not sure it is.

With Avatar, you can buy the SD version for £9.99 on Itunes and the only access to a HD version is as a rental from the Apple TV or iPad. You can't buy the HD version.

Looks like it will have to be the Blu-Ray.

aprofetto8, thanks. I know iTunes HD isn't as good as the Blu-Ray, but I just rip Blu-Rays down to 720p for playing on the Apple TV anyway. Convenience beats that bit extra quality for me.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Toy Story 3 (and other Pixar Blurays) use different playlists to insert localized text into scenes throughout the movie. For example, the subtitle text when Buzz is speaking Spanish is localized for English and French (and others I'm sure). You just have to know what playlist to use with eac3to to extract the video in the correct language and order.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010

aprofetto8, thanks. I know iTunes HD isn't as good as the Blu-Ray, but I just rip Blu-Rays down to 720p for playing on the Apple TV anyway. Convenience beats that bit extra quality for me.

Yes, I totally agree. Majority of my media content are 720p Bluray rips at 2-3 gigs each. A true bluray rip can be close to 40 gigs, so you can see how much lower the bitrate must be for these smaller rips.

However, 720p at 3 gigs file size for me is perfect. Especially for storage, 3 gigs is easier to store than 40 gigs.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
the UK itunes store does not offer HD movie purchases (those are only in the US).

you can rent an HD movie in the UK, but not buy.

Last edited:

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Thanks chenks.

I'd come to that conclusion, but it's good to get confirmation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.