Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I know this will never happen, but I'd just like to vent how I'd like to see the Macbook Pro.

I'd like it to look more immaculate and perfect.

-19-inch
-thinner
-more like an artist sketchpad in nature the way artists carry around their sketchpad, but this would be in a neoprene sleeve (nothing to do with form factor, just perception of product)
-stainless steel keys
-no spaces underneath the keys (I hate how things can fall under there
-swivel latch to reveal the input area (can be left open all the time and look like the current side of the Macbook Pro)

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I actually meant the metal that came on the back of the original ipod for the keys, and not stainless steel. Try to imagine it if you will.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I know this will never happen, but I'd just like to vent how I'd like to see the Macbook Pro.

-19-inch
-thinner
-more like an artist sketchpad in nature the way artists carry around their sketchpad, but this would be in a neoprene sleeve (nothing to do with form factor, just perception of product)
-stainless steel keys
-swivel latch to reveal the input area (can be left open all the time and look like the current side of the Macbook Pro)

-19 inches?? That defeats the purpose of being a laptop completely!

-Thinner: it's already as thin as it can get using the current components.

-What??

-Stainless steel keys? This would add weight and no benefit.

-A swivel latch? I'm not sure I understand you here.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
19 inches!?

I like the way you think. Does anyone make a laptop bigger than 17 inches?

People complain that the 15 inch notebook is "not portable" (I laugh at that, I guess some people need to work out! The 15 inch is not a heavy laptop! All notebook computers are portable! If they weren't they would be desktop computers!) I can't imagine what they will say about carrying a 19 inch notebook around. But I do like the idea that it would available for those who are willing to.

I'm not sure if I would like chrome keys that will show scratches like the iPod backs. It would look great but I don't know if I would like to actually type on it.

uMBPi728

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Glendale, Ca and Berkeley
???

Sorry, I don't mean to be flippant, but you're not being practical.

It's nice to dream and have really great ideas, but visualizing some of your musings are really difficult.

Granted, I too, would like to see a 17" MBP that has the gentle tapers of an AIR. It's definitely possible that this can happen. I should start a thread on this.

Your other visions, well, I think you should rethink them. Maybe revision 2 will be more apparent to us. :eek:

Nice try tho.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I think the first two points are actually great ideas for a notebook, but very few would buy a 19" laptop, not matter how thin it is. He did say he knows it won't happen, so I think he understands that it won't be something that any major computer company would try to market.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Not very portable, heavy and about a 30 minute battery life.

Oh yea it existed in 2006 designed pretty much to pull your back out.
xps2010.jpg

Presenting the Dell XPS M2010

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Not very portable, heavy and about a 30 minute battery life.

Oh yea it existed in 2006 designed pretty much to pull your back out.
xps2010.jpg

Presenting the Dell XPS M2010

That's exactly what I was thinking about! If Apple were forced to make a 19" or 20" laptop, then it'd probably be a supersized 17", probably weighing 10lb. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple got it down to 9lb or 8.5lb; the Dell (and the HP HDX 20) both weigh approximately 12lb.

BounouGod

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010

-19-inch
-thinner
-stainless steel keys

Get a 27" cinema display to go with your 15" MBP, much better option then a 19" laptop IMO

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
What I meant by the keys was that they would be pressed down more into the computer. They wouldn't extend so high because they wouldn't have that space underneath them. I'd actually like to see them exposed only about half the height of the key itself.

This would give a flattened look to the keyboard, blending it in with the frame, and the chrome material of the keys would make it look more immaculate when its seen with the frame. The computer would look more like one thing versus an aluminum frame with black keys. The 19-inch size, chrome keys, thinner profile, lower keys, and so forth would present the ultimate laptop, a step in between the macbook pro 17-inch and iMac.

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
19-inch??? I'm sorry, but you're out of your mind.

There is absolutely no market for a 19-inch laptop - that's massive. The whole point of a laptop is portability. You may as well just buy an iMac...

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I'd like metal keys if they would be more resistant to wear than the plastic ones but if you mean the chromed metal on the back of the ipod... no thanks.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
I tried an 18" laptop once, some sort of dell or toshiba and my god that thing was a beast.
There are a few 18" laptops around, Asus do a couple and I just can`t see the point, if you need that sort of screen space on a regular basis you need a desktop.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I love the idea for a swivel latch. Are you meaning a hinged latch that flips down the whole side and reveals all of the I/O ports? That's how I'm picturing it. Hiding the ports and protecting it from dust.

Politis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
... and here's a video review of the unit's practicalities around the streets (and tubes) of London. Enjoy!

Nice vid. The dude that started the thread probably likes to look at laptops rather than use them :p
I have a 15'' and it's too big to carry around in libraries and college, it's like a windshield and you have to streeeech your neck to see what the women are upto :rolleyes:

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I love the idea for a swivel latch. Are you meaning a hinged latch that flips down the whole side and reveals all of the I/O ports? That's how I'm picturing it. Hiding the ports and protecting it from dust.

I imagine a button on the keyboard to undo the swivel latch, and the same button would bring it back up again. And it wouldn't come up if the ports were full. Also, I imagine some kind of USB adapter that would make the USB ends the size of headphone ports, so there would just be a bunch of small circles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.