PDA

View Full Version : iPad for the Holidays - Too late in the product cycle?

Mcthings
Nov 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
Does it make sense to get an iPad for the holidays? Is there any idea on when the iPad will be refreshed/iPad2 comes out?

I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an iPad on December 25th, then have Apple release the iPad2 a couple months later. Is there any feel for when the product might be updated?

hcho3
Nov 15, 2010, 01:27 PM
Update is every year for apple. Last iPad update was April. So, I would say about 5 months before they update the iPad.

Might as well as wait for iPad 3. That will be only 17 months away from now.
Actually... why not wait for iPad 4? That will be less than 30 months away from now.

Honestly, why don't you search before you make one of these threads?

poloponies
Nov 15, 2010, 01:27 PM
Is there any feel for when the product might be updated?

Nobody's really expressed an interest in that here. I'll ask around.

Mcthings
Nov 15, 2010, 01:32 PM
You're right, I apologize.

vastoholic
Nov 15, 2010, 01:33 PM
Let me MRoogle/google that for you....

------------------------------------

I honestly think the later you buy, the better (well maybe except one month out). You have an iPad that has less wear than most others out there so when you go to sell to get the iPad 2 you have an advantage over those of us who have had them the whole time.

I miss the days when we didn't even know or care that something "better" was coming out the next year. I like what i have now and so what if a new version is coming out later.

gatearray
Nov 15, 2010, 01:44 PM
I honestly think the later you buy, the better (well maybe except one month out). You have an iPad that has less wear than most others out there so when you go to sell to get the iPad 2 you have an advantage over those of us who have had them the whole time.

I miss the days when we didn't even know or care that something "better" was coming out the next year. I like what i have now and so what if a new version is coming out later.

And don't forget, you're selling it with most of the one year warranty intact, as well. Excellent buyer assurance on eBay/craigslist or what have you.

Furthermore, I agree with my sensible friends above that this thread should not even exist, and I hate myself for replying to it, lest I inadvertently encourage more of the same. :)

Piggie
Nov 15, 2010, 01:56 PM
If and of course it's a big if Apple announce a new iPad for sale in April. Three to Four months after Christmas day for the same price as the current model.

I think it could be more expensive, but let's just say it's the same price.

You will see the current model plummet quite a bit in value, due to thousands of second hand ones coming onto the market.

To be honest, if I did not have one and wanted one for Christmas then I would wait 15 weeks and save myself $100 or $200+ in lost resale value.

Of course, if you are certain you don't want the next model then be all means get the current one for Christmas.

MsMerryMac
Nov 16, 2010, 05:25 PM

Isn't this the truth? I never got so hyped up about "what's next" until I started reading MacRumors! If I held off buying every time I thought there was a refresh coming, I would still be using an old PC laptop instead of my gorgeous MBP that I purchased 35 days before the mid 2010 refresh and still not have the iPad I adore.

Amazing Iceman
Nov 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
There will always be a newer version coming out, so unless you plan to wait forever, just get it now.
A new one may or may not come out in April. It could be until end 2011 or longer.
It will all depend on Apple's schedule and project priorities.
I would assume if now they started to massively produce iPads surpassing demand, they will not launch any new version until they sell all their current stock (unless they are very stupid).

Besides that, there's a ton of people expecting to get an iPad for the Holidays.
So it's not too late. It's been enough time for the current iPad to prove itself to be a valuable and very useful product.

iphone1105
Nov 16, 2010, 05:45 PM
If and of course it's a big if Apple announce a new iPad for sale in April. Three to Four months after Christmas day for the same price as the current model.

I think it could be more expensive, but let's just say it's the same price.

You will see the current model plummet quite a bit in value, due to thousands of second hand ones coming onto the market.

Tell that to people like me who sold their iPhone 3G's (not 3GS) for $25 0/per on eBay. Sheesh man, the value of the first gen will still hold good used, trust me, all apple products resell for great prices....hell my girlfriend sold her 1st gen ipod touch on eBay for $120..:rolleyes::cool:

vastoholic
Nov 16, 2010, 05:48 PM
The only time I regret buying a mac product was when I first moved to mac (besides the ipods) in 2008. I bought the early 2008 macbook pro at the end of september right before the new unibody came out. Just like you, MsMerry, this was before I even knew about macrumors. Everything since then I've been completely happy with no matter what came out replacing it.

However, I am looking forward to upgrading my 2008 mac mini in the next year or so.