PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the Mac mini

MacBytes
Jan 13, 2005, 10:21 PM
Category: Photos
Link: Pictures of the Mac mini (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050113232109)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Superhob
Jan 13, 2005, 11:34 PM
Very nice pictures!

There are some pictures of the logic board at the end of the album. It appears that the single RAM slot takes up the entire length of the board. There are also 2 other slots which were unoccupied, one for the airport extreme card, and the other for ???

Edit: oops, I forgot that the other slot may be for the harddrive and/or the cd/dvd drive.

Phat_Pat
Jan 14, 2005, 12:07 AM
you may be able to tell from the pics but... these things are SOOOOO light

plinkoman
Jan 14, 2005, 12:56 AM
Very nice pictures!

There are some pictures of the logic board at the end of the album. It appears that the single RAM slot takes up the entire length of the board. There are also 2 other slots which were unoccupied, one for the airport extreme card, and the other for ???

Edit: oops, I forgot that the other slot may be for the harddrive and/or the cd/dvd drive.

the other port is for bluetooth

bertagert
Jan 14, 2005, 01:28 AM
I'm suprised that no one has pointed out in any of the threads that this mini looks a lot like the sonos music streamer (http://sonos.com/products/zoneplayer/).

http://sonos.com/graphics/products/img_zp_hero.jpg
http://images.apple.com/macmini/images/indextop20050111.jpg

Off Topic:
I was really going to get the Sonos but I can't afford it right now. However, the new Griffin thingy with bluetooth stream will work in the mean time!

sorryiwasdreami
Jan 14, 2005, 01:54 AM
Excellent pictures! The ones on Apple's site always seem so photoshopped. It's nice to see a realistic view of the mini.

nagromme
Jan 14, 2005, 04:49 AM
I thought the top was just gloss white plastic like the top of the iPod Mini.

It looks from those like it's clear plastic painted white underneath, like the iMac G5 and some other Apple products. That's a really slick look in person.

And it will frustrate Microsoft fans who try to scrape off the Apple logo only to find it's under the "glass" :)

Which actually reminds me that if a lot of switchers will have these, we can expect the neon case-mod crowd to do some interesting things to Minis :D How long before someone installs a Mini's guts into a modded drive bay of an ugly PC tower?

Mainyehc
Jan 14, 2005, 05:49 AM
Which actually reminds me that if a lot of switchers will have these, we can expect the neon case-mod crowd to do some interesting things to Minis :D How long before someone installs a Mini's guts into a modded drive bay of an ugly PC tower?

Add an integrated KVM switch to that, and there you have it, your very own Dual Boot Dell :eek: :D

Mainyehc
Jan 14, 2005, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=bertagert]I'm suprised that no one has pointed out in any of the threads that this mini looks a lot like the sonos music streamer (http://sonos.com/products/zoneplayer/).

Yes, that's true, when I first saw the mini, I thought it was vaguely familiar, and now I remember where I've seen something like it first. But what about Sonos Controller?

http://sonos.com/graphics/products/img_ctrl_hero.jpg

This is exactly the opposite case... Doesn't that remind you of something? ;)
By the way, Apple REALLY should develop something like this for the AirTunes, something like an iPod, only much thinner and without a hard drive. If it had a Li-ion battery, just imagine how much time would it take to drain it out ;). I'm of course guessing that a WiFi trasmitter puts less stress on a battery than a spinning hard-drive, and I may be completely wrong.

Mark my words, I'd buy the full set, AE card, Airport Express and remote in a heartbeat... I just won't put an AE in my room which is upstairs and have to come downstairs just to pause or skip a song or whatever. And another thing, Apple should sell a cheaper, stripped-down version of Airport Express, something like Airtunes Express, only with a line-out jack. They could sell millions of those... It would be to the Sonos device what the Mac mini is to the other Macs (or in other words, it could be to a stereo system what the Mac mini is to generic non-Apple peripherals): BYOSS ("Bring your Stereo System").

These things would sell like hotcakes, especially to iPod users! Most iPod users have neat and tidy music libraries to start with, a good bunch of them already connects their iPods to their stereos, and most of those who have their Mac/PC far away from their stereos would like to have their iTunes libraries accessible without draining their iPod's battery... Those who already own an AE brick would definitely buy the remote, and those who haven't already would buy the stripped-down version instead (possibly with a bundled remote, why not).

Sure, the Airtunes brick could possibly cannibalize the Airport Express, but since Apple is now introducing very inexpensive products (remember what Steve said, they're definitely not "cheap"), selling an incredibly affordable wireless music streaming system would fit nicely in their strategy. And Apple could make a strategic alliance with Sony, by bundling Airtunes bricks with Sony products (or maybe not, that'd be a M$-like monopolistic tactic... They could, however, offer nice deals on the Apple store ;)), or they could send the ultimate FU at Sony and build their OWN stereo system!

Hey, Apple is now also a consumer electronics company, and is starting to become a widely respected one... Just imagine the possibilities! As long as they don't waste R&D money into money-losing products, and don't forget about the Mac (which seems they didn't), I'm fine with that. I wouldn't mind having a few more Apple products around the house, not specifically because of the Apple branding (ok, maybe just a little because of that :D), but mainly because they would look slick and would be the easiest things to operate on earth. :cool: I guess Apple could, in the long run, take advantage of the "iPod Halo effect" in ways no one has even thought of yet. ;)

timnosenzo
Jan 14, 2005, 06:27 AM
Way cool! :cool:

gekko513
Jan 14, 2005, 06:34 AM
Too bad that the Sonos thing is wider and deeper than the Mac mini.

Mainyehc
Jan 14, 2005, 06:50 AM
Too bad that the Sonos thing is wider and deeper than the Mac mini.

It will also be "too bad" for Sonos if Apple decides to do something like I envisioned in my earlier post... I'd much rather have an Apple designed streaming system, IMHO...

Oh, and by the way...

Apple can't be assured of control of every market it targets, but it can be certain of one thing: No one else will control its participation in its chosen markets again. Wherever Apple chooses to go, it will go alone, and that should scare the hell out of any company that has to sell against it.
By Tom Yager, from InfoWorld (http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/13/HNmacworldanalysis_1.html)

This guy is so damn right, IMHO! Apple has been like this ever since Jobs returned (remember how their superior products led to the disappearence of Adobe Premiere or Internet Explorer for the Mac, or how their Apple Stores seem to be crushing traditional Mac retailers), the only difference is that now they have a HUGE mindshare (and iPod marketshare), and hordes of cash sitting in the bank. They already were the ultimate R&D and marketing experts, plus they have hordes of cash and are widely recognized; it seems that they're all set for an M$-like world domination of the digital entertainment market, only with quality products instead of the usual M$ crap (or the stylish but overpriced and hard-to-use Sony products). Would this be any good? Would it be bad? If Apple achieves this will they be licensing stuff?... I don't have a clue, but all I know is that'd be "fun" to watch. ;)

TylerL
Jan 14, 2005, 09:20 AM
Question I haven't seen asked:

Does the advertised 2" height of the Mac mini include the rubber-and-plastic space underneath?
Or is Apple playing a marketing game by only counting the aluminum height?

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 14, 2005, 09:31 AM
Question I haven't seen asked:

Does the advertised 2" height of the Mac mini include the rubber-and-plastic space underneath?
Or is Apple playing a marketing game by only counting the aluminum height?

No offense, but does a 1/4 to at most 1/2 inch really matter on such a small computer?

outerspaceapple
Jan 14, 2005, 10:40 AM
No offense, but does a 1/4 to at most 1/2 inch really matter on such a small computer?

I think not.

nagromme
Jan 14, 2005, 11:12 AM
The specs say 2", and I'm sure that's accurate. Not just the aluminum.

I've measured Apple PowerBooks, and they always seem a bit thinner than claimed--but I'm not counting the feet, and I think Apple is. The specs stated wouldn't be accurate if they didn't.

People have some creative plans for Minis... knowing if it really fits in 2" could matter for something :)