PDA

View Full Version : Airplay

kslingo
Nov 15, 2010, 04:21 PM
So Airplay doesnt do video yet on ATV???

Just Audio????

Thought it was supposted to do both...

:eek:

KeithJenner
Nov 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
We are still waiting for the updates for Airplay to work correctly. It should all be there by the end of the month.

kslingo
Nov 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
O ok... I guess I misunderstood...

bpc101
Nov 16, 2010, 08:10 AM
Will you be able to play music from your iPad / iPhone via airplay to your ATV?

kslingo
Nov 16, 2010, 08:54 AM
Will you be able to play music from your iPad / iPhone via airplay to your ATV?

Its supposted to do a whole lot more than just music... Right now all it does it audio... But its supposted to do photos and video...

jimmy1984
Nov 17, 2010, 08:32 AM
and is this only through iTunes? or could you airplay something you were streaming on your mac to you ATV2?

saving107
Nov 17, 2010, 10:27 AM
and is this only through iTunes? or could you airplay something you were streaming on your mac to you ATV2?

You will be able to stream content from a Mac to the new Apple TV, but it will be limited to only content on iTunes (not safari), I'm hoping this change in the future because Mobile Safari will be able to send video out, so why not the desktop version.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8113/screenshot20101117at826.png
http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Bevz
Nov 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
Will airplay stream video from a mac to an iPhone or iPad too?
I can't figure out whether this is on the cards or not...

ibookster
Nov 17, 2010, 01:48 PM

I was wondering about that too, but I don't think iPads and iPhones will be able to receive streams.

Irishman
Nov 17, 2010, 01:55 PM
You know, not to pick, but there was already an Airplay topic created, called "Airplay".

Please, as a PSA, read ahead before you create a new topic, even if your question is slightly different from the OPs.

b11051973
Nov 17, 2010, 06:47 PM

You can stream video from a Mac with an app like Air Video. It even transcodes video that isn't support by an iOS device.

stuartmeyers
Nov 17, 2010, 07:26 PM

I've asked this question to different forums and gurus and nobody has an answer except for "use airvideo or zumocast" which is not what i want.

I dont think it will be there unless in iTunes you can choose your output device or if they update the "remote" app to play from remote iTunes on a local ipad/iphone.

Here's hoping....

Surf Monkey
Nov 17, 2010, 08:06 PM
It doesn't look like AirPlay will be able to stream from the desktop to an iPhone or an iPod, but that doesn't mean that such functionality won't appear with the 4.2 update or at some later date. Basically, it's a wait and see situation. None of us (except for developers) have any experience with AirPlay and even developers haven't seen the completed product yet.

DeusInvictus7
Nov 17, 2010, 08:32 PM
It doesn't look like AirPlay will be able to stream from the desktop to an iPhone or an iPod, but that doesn't mean that such functionality won't appear with the 4.2 update or at some later date. Basically, it's a wait and see situation. None of us (except for developers) have any experience with AirPlay and even developers haven't seen the completed product yet.

The free app Zumocast does exactly that, and very well. One of my favorite apps. Airplay transmits from a computer (with iTunes running) to an airplay capable device, and so far the only device is the AppleTV.

jolie1
Nov 18, 2010, 03:19 AM
I also can't figure out whether this is on the cards or not.

bjornw
Nov 18, 2010, 05:50 AM
Does anyone know if Airplay will work for any audio source on a Mac? Like for example Spotify. It would be so nice to get rid of Airfoil and just default all audio output to my Airport Express...

saving107
Nov 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
I also can't figure out whether this is on the cards or not.

What will work:

iPhone -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*
iPod touch -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*
iPad -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*
Mac/PC** -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*

What will not work:

iPad -> iPhone
iPad -> iPod touch
iPad -> Mac/PC
iPad -> iPad
iPhone -> iPad
iPhone -> iPod touch
iPhone -> Mac/PC
iPhone -> iPhone
iPod touch -> iPad
iPod touch -> iPhone
iPod touch -> Mac/PC
iPod touch -> iPod touch
Mac/PC -> iPhone
Mac/PC -> iPad
Mac/PC -> iPod touch
Mac/PC -> Mac/PC

*AirPlay Enabled Device: Home Theatre System, Receivers, Airport Express and Sound Dock
** Mac/PC will require at least iTunes 10.1 for AirPlay to work

http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

Does anyone know if Airplay will work for any audio source on a Mac? Like for example Spotify. It would be so nice to get rid of Airfoil and just default all audio output to my Airport Express...

The Audio has to be in your iTunes library, otherwise it will not be recognized.

whsbuss
Nov 18, 2010, 01:42 PM
Question:

When using Airplay on the IP4 and streaming to the ATV, will the display on the IP4 shutoff to save the battery?

andiwm2003
Nov 18, 2010, 02:02 PM
..................What will not work:

:
:
:
:
:
:
Mac/PC -> iPhone
Mac/PC -> iPad
Mac/PC -> iPod touch
Mac/PC -> Mac/PC

The Audio has to be in your iTunes library, otherwise it will not be recognized.

that makes it basically useless to me. i'd like to stream video from my mac to my iPad so that I don't have to copy all movies to the iPad/iPhone. I hope they will bring this feature soon but I guess there is some copyright stuff involved as well.

bjornw
Nov 18, 2010, 02:20 PM
What will work:

Then what is the difference from now? I can already choose my Airport Express as remote source in iTunes 10...

I heard that Airplay would work with Spotify on the iPhone with iOS 4.2. Seems strange that Apple won't enable that feature in OSX as well.

saving107
Nov 18, 2010, 03:45 PM
Then what is the difference from now? I can already choose my Airport Express as remote source in iTunes 10...

I should clarify, your Mac/PC will require iTunes 10.1 for AirPlay to work for video.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9356/screenshot20101118at142.png

afd
Nov 18, 2010, 04:05 PM
Airplay from ipod touch/iphone to iPad with an ad hock wifi network is one of my wishes. Then I could mount iPad to back of car headrest and stream Peppa Pig to small person in back seat.
Does Steve do requests?

Bevz
Nov 18, 2010, 04:06 PM
What will work:

iPhone -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*
iPod touch -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*
iPad -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*
Mac/PC** -> New Apple TV/AirPlay enabled device*

What will not work:

iPad -> iPhone
iPad -> iPod touch
iPad -> Mac/PC
iPad -> iPad
iPhone -> iPad
iPhone -> iPod touch
iPhone -> Mac/PC
iPhone -> iPhone
iPod touch -> iPad
iPod touch -> iPhone
iPod touch -> Mac/PC
iPod touch -> iPod touch
Mac/PC -> iPhone
Mac/PC -> iPad
Mac/PC -> iPod touch
Mac/PC -> Mac/PC

This is exactly what i was hoping it wouldn't be like... i.e. The new Apple TV being the only device capable of receiving an AirPlay video stream!
Don't get me wrong, this is a good feature and very welcome, but i can't help feeling it's a crippled implementation of a truly GREAT idea... IMHO.

CanadianMac2008
Nov 18, 2010, 04:42 PM
Airplay from ipod touch/iphone to iPad with an ad hock wifi network is one of my wishes. Then I could mount iPad to back of car headrest and stream Peppa Pig to small person in back seat.
Does Steve do requests?

Send him an email, sjobs@apple.com - Agreed though, that would be sweet.

fpnc
Nov 18, 2010, 05:20 PM
that makes it basically useless to me. i'd like to stream video from my mac to my iPad so that I don't have to copy all movies to the iPad/iPhone. I hope they will bring this feature soon but I guess there is some copyright stuff involved as well.
You can stream video from your Mac to the iPad or iPhone right now using Mac OS X's Web Sharing feature. However, the video must already be in an iOS compatible format but otherwise it pretty much just works. You can find instructions on the setup here on MacRumors and there was even an article on MacCentral/MacWorld a few months ago on this very same topic. The UI isn't that elegant, you just select the files from a list from within the Safari browser running on the iPad/iPhone, but the playback works great and you can switch to full-screen with the standard video playback controls just as if you were in the Video app or iTunes.

Kahnyl
Nov 18, 2010, 05:23 PM
Question:

When using Airplay on the IP4 and streaming to the ATV, will the display on the IP4 shutoff to save the battery?

Someone mentioned screen dimming but, no it won't shutoff. In fact, you can use other apps while streaming so you might not want it to shut off.

FreeState
Nov 18, 2010, 05:50 PM
Someone mentioned screen dimming but, no it won't shutoff. In fact, you can use other apps while streaming so you might not want it to shut off.

I put mine to sleep (via the top sleep/wake button) no problem - the audio keeps playing via the Apple TV.

Kahnyl
Nov 18, 2010, 06:07 PM
True, but it may not be the same for video. Same as the behavior pre-Airplay when you lock the device while listening to audio versus watching a video. It pauses for video and keeps playing audio. I heard someone bemoan that, as per an Apple rep at the last press event, you couldn't sleep the device you're streaming video from.

Two things though - 1) That may not be correct and 2) even if it was correct in September it may not be now.

FreeState
Nov 18, 2010, 06:35 PM
Two things though - 1) That may not be correct and 2) even if it was correct in September it may not be now.

Im hoping you can put it to sleep in the final release - that would be ideal. If not Ill just plug it in while its streaming.

whsbuss
Nov 18, 2010, 07:06 PM
Im hoping you can put it to sleep in the final release - that would be ideal. If not Ill just plug it in while its streaming.

Hmmm I would hope they get that squared away. My friends both have ATV and when visiting I would hope to stream my videos from my IP4. Makes no sense for the display to be on while watching on the big screen.

newagemac
Nov 18, 2010, 11:54 PM
Hmmm I would hope they get that squared away. My friends both have ATV and when visiting I would hope to stream my videos from my IP4. Makes no sense for the display to be on while watching on the big screen.

Well when you consider the fact that the device acts as a remote control for the video being played then I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to make it go to sleep as usual. I want to be able to rewind the video or adjust the volume without having to swipe to unlock and wake up a sleeping iPhone every time.

FreeState
Nov 19, 2010, 01:56 AM
Well when you consider the fact that the device acts as a remote control for the video being played then I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to make it go to sleep as usual. I want to be able to rewind the video or adjust the volume without having to swipe to unlock and wake up a sleeping iPhone every time.

The physical volume buttons on the side adjust the volume on the Apple TV when you use Airplay (even when the phones screen is off).

Kahnyl
Nov 19, 2010, 02:57 AM
One issue with the screen going off while streaming is that currently the wifi connection drops when you shut off the screen while the phone isn't charging. At least on the iPhone. Even when they added "persistent wifi" they didn't change that.

saving107
Nov 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
One issue with the screen going off while streaming is that currently the wifi connection drops when you shut off the screen while the phone isn't charging. At least on the iPhone. Even when they added "persistent wifi" they didn't change that.

Persistent wifi was added to the iPod touch and iPad to take advantage of VOiP services (the iPhone doesn't need this because it maintains a connection through 3G when WiFi is off).

ghostlyorb
Nov 19, 2010, 01:22 PM
So Airplay doesnt do video yet on ATV???

Just Audio????

Thought it was supposted to do both...

:eek:

good grief guys.... read the forum everyday. Apple will send an update out for the ATV and everything else when 4.2 officially comes out. It's not until then will you be able to stream video and audio from your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch to your ATV. Simple as that.

FreeState
Nov 19, 2010, 02:52 PM

I have not had that problem - I have streamed 3 hours of music to my Apple TV from my phone with the screen turned off with no problem...

Kahnyl
Nov 19, 2010, 03:47 PM
Unplugged? Maybe they changed it. I last noticed it on 4.0.

FreeState
Nov 19, 2010, 04:05 PM
Unplugged? Maybe they changed it. I last noticed it on 4.0.

Yep unplugged - used the sleep wake button on the top (on a 3GS)

Scartissue
Nov 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Airplay works with spotify now on mobile devices. It is absolutely as amazing as it sounds.

driphone
Nov 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
Does Airplay work with the original Apple TV?
(my apologies if this is a repost)

Surf Monkey
Nov 23, 2010, 11:03 AM
Does Airplay work with the original Apple TV?
(my apologies if this is a repost)

Nope. Only with the new ATV.

driphone
Nov 23, 2010, 11:23 AM
Nope. Only with the new ATV.

OK Apple, please charge my CC for $99 :rolleyes: