PDA

View Full Version : How do I run an iPhoto'11 slideshow in 2nd gen Apple TV?

mamalisa08
Nov 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
I am not the apple guru in our family, my husband is. However this is for a surprise party so I can't ask him! I can't figure out how to view a slideshow that I created in iPhoto on our 2nd generation Apple TV.

If this isn't possible, can you suggest other ways to do a music + photos slideshow on the Apple TV, streaming from my MacBook Pro?

Thanks!:)

rockinred
Nov 15, 2010, 08:00 PM
You should just be able to go to your computer, click on photos and it will give you the breakdown of all the different folders and events in your library. Click and select it. What's preventing you from doing that?

mamalisa08
Nov 15, 2010, 08:04 PM
You should just be able to go to your computer, click on photos and it will give you the breakdown of all the different folders and events in your library. Click and select it. What's preventing you from doing that?

I enabled the photo sharing under Advanced menu in iTunes. It gave me an option of all photos, albums, events, and faces OR selected albums, events, and faces. Slide shows aren't listed at all. :( When I accessed it on the AppleTv, I couldn't find the slide show I had created anywhere, including under photos. Makes me think I would have to just use a regular album from iPhoto and then manually select my playlist to add the music. What do you think?

rockinred
Nov 15, 2010, 08:15 PM
wait, I think your ahead of me on this or I missed something. You created a slide show in iPhoto? Or is it just a folder? In Apple Tv under settings you can select the various type of slideshow to view your folder, which can be the different views on the screen. I have never created an actual slideshow per say in iPhoto, so I guess I can't help you on that one. I just select a folder and select a type of slideshow to view. The only thing I have created would be like an iMovie, etc..

Still, it seems that if the folder or album is in iPhoto, it should appear on your computer when it is shared on the tv. Where is the slideshow saved at on your Macbook?

mamalisa08
Nov 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, you can create slideshows in iPhoto. I did this so I could use a specific play list that I created in itunes. However, I don't know if I can play the slideshow on appletv, which is why I'm asking here... I'm not sure where it's saved, I'll look.

rockinred
Nov 15, 2010, 08:37 PM
Looks like you already did this but click on this link to double check. One thing it states in the footnotes is to make sure that you turn off iPhoto and then restart when creating something new. This allows Apple tv to recognize it when it doesn't.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4362

rockinred
Nov 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
Ok, I made a quick slide show just to try it out.

All I did was save the slideshow as normal in iPhoto.

Then go into Apple Tv, select "computers" select my macbook, then select "photos", then on the bottom you have your "albums" .... under that line will be your slideshow name that you created. just select it to play.

Hope that helps.

mamalisa08
Nov 15, 2010, 09:29 PM
Ok I am going to try this tomorrow when he's at work! Thanks rockinred. I will update the thread after I give it a whirl.

Ingster
Nov 16, 2010, 03:02 AM
If push comes to shove and it won't work you can export the slideshow as a m4v file through iPhoto to itunes itself, then in essence it is a movie file as any other and you can then play it through the Apple TV2

mamalisa08
Nov 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
It worked! I was sooo excited. For whatever reason, the photos were randomized and so were the songs, but I actually wanted that to happen and just couldn't figure out how to do it with iPhoto. Thanks for your help!!