Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Is there a way to not have it automatically put your signature in email replies by default? I only use signatures when composing new messages and not when replying to emails. I understand you can select "none" from the drop down box manually but is there a setting for this so I don't have to do it each time?

Appleind

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Is there a way to not have it automatically put your signature in email replies by default? I only use signatures when composing new messages and not when replying to emails. I understand you can select "none" from the drop down box manually but is there a setting for this so I don't have to do it each time?

Inside Apple Mail, to set Signatures, go to the Mail menu and choose Preferences. Select the Signatures icon, second from the right.

Make sure the "Account" is highlighted on the leftmost panel. Don't create the signature when "All signatures" is highlighted, though, as that doesn't seem to work. Instead create your new signature by pressing the small plus sign on the lower left of the middle panel. Edit the text of the new signature in the rightmost panel.

apple-mail-signatures.jpg

At the bottom of the dialog box is a drop down menu, "Choose signature." Make sure the Signature you just created is chosen. Don't choose "None," "Random Order" or "In Sequential Order."

Now, finally, close the Preferences window by hitting the red button in the top left corner, or by pressing Apple-W. Quit mail (Main menu, Quit, or Apple-Q), and relaunch it.

You should be able to choose the new signature when creating a new message now.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Actually choosing "None" in the Choose Signature section does exactly what I was looking for. By default it doesn't put the signature but if I want it in there I can just click to add it.

Appleind

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Actually choosing "None" in the Choose Signature section does exactly what I was looking for. By default it doesn't put the signature but if I want it in there I can just click to add it.

Exactly. Does this solve what you were looking for

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.