Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
So I have an iBook G3, 366mghz, 576MB Ram, 160 GB(127 really) HD. It's running Panther, and I have no use for it. It won't browse web due to lack of support above Safari 3, and the trackpad button is spotty. What uses does this have? I would hate to trash it. I couldnt sell it as no one could appreciate it as much as I do. Could I set it up as a server for my media? This way I can save some space on my iMac, and my AppleTv 2 could share the library. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you could install tiger on it and then install camino browser , sorted perfect web browsing experience , or if you like safari more safari 4 runs too on tiger

or you could indeed use it as a fileserver , ok limited due to the possible small harddrive inside , if you got the later firewire clamshell you could compensate that with one external drive or more , dont know if usb 1.1 is fast enough for mp3's as i dont have a usb harddrive any more

but what i would do is different , i would install OS 9 only and use Classilla browser,
running that combination on one of my iMac g3 and its really good , and too plays mp3's;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.