Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I'm using InDesign (CS3) to create various items of collateral with common elements. Some of those elements contain type with drop shadows on and a lot of the time, the differences between one item and another (say a leaflet and a banner) requires the various elements to be grouped and scaled up or down.

Unfortunately, when scaling these items, the drop shadows appear to keep their original absolute settings - for instance 100pt copy with a 5mm offset shadow, when scaled to twice the size shows 200pt copy with a 5mm offset shadow, as opposed to the 10mm offset it should be. Am I missing something on the preferences or is this the norm? If so, is there a solution/workaround?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm on CS4, but I have the option, under Preferences>General:

---
When Scaling
O Apply to Content
O Adjust Scaling Percentage
---

Have you tried switching with one is selected?

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
You are not going to like the answer, but you can't independently scale the effects of an object inside InDesign. Photoshop has this ability, but InDesign does not. You have to manually change the effects for each object if you scale them. There is no shortcut or modifier that will work.

The only workaround would be to export the selection to a PDF or other image format and place it back into ID. Then you could scale it and the effects would scale.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
What about object styles? Set it up so that the style applies to the contained text only.

Ok, it won't do it by auto scaling but you could set up a range of styles with different options / dropshadow sizes etc. Then apply the relevant one depending on what size it's scaled to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.